Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My windshield wipers rarely ever clean the left corner of my windshield. Is this common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a winter state, which means my windshield gets very dirty often. My drivers side wiper doesn't get windshield washer fluid on the bottom 8-12" of the wiper, resulting in it just moving the dirt back and forth on this part of my windshield.

Does anyone else have this same issue? Is it something wrong with my car or is this a design issue?

It is right in my field of view and is rather annoying. The only way i can get that section clean is if i press the washer fluid button like 20 times. I am curious if others have the same issue.

Reactions: afadeev
I live in a winter state, which means my windshield gets very dirty often. My drivers side wiper doesn't get windshield washer fluid on the bottom 8-12" of the wiper, resulting in it just moving the dirt back and forth on this part of my windshield.

Does anyone else have this same issue? Is it something wrong with my car or is this a design issue?

It is right in my field of view and is rather annoying. The only way i can get that section clean is if i press the washer fluid button like 20 times. I am curious if others have the same issue.
I have this exact issue, and on the Tesla Model 3 Canadian forum (on Facebook) there are a bunch of us having the same issue. I suspect it's a design flaw, i.e. the fluid doesn't make it's way to the lower left quadrant (as seen from drivers eye)

For anyone unfamilar with Tesla's wiper blades, there are 2 jets on each wiper blade, one in each direction of the blade that shoots out fluid (unlike fluid shooting up from the lower windshield area.

OP since you mention you're not seeing fluid on the lower part of your left/driver's side but are seeing liquid come from the upper driver's arm position, fluid is being delivered to the blade and sounds like there's a clog or issue with that part of the blade assembly. Take a look at this video at 5:18 and you'll see the jets on the driver blade. After that point the video covers how to check and clear any blockage in the nozzle portion. If no apparent blockage, time to have service check the nozzle and possibly replace under warranty.

I have the same issue. The faster you are moving the worse the problem is. I had them check the last time it was in for service and they said it was working correctly. I think it’s more when in the arch the it sprays creates the problem.
With my previous cars you pulled the washer lever it immediately started spraying wherever in the arch it is. With the Model 3 it seems to only spray in my experience in the same spot regardless of if I push the button mind wipe.

For anyone unfamilar with Tesla's wiper blades, there are 2 jets on each wiper blade, one in each direction of the blade that shoots out fluid (unlike fluid shooting up from the lower windshield area.

OP since you mention you're not seeing fluid on the lower part of your left/driver's side but are seeing liquid come from the upper driver's arm position, fluid is being delivered to the blade and sounds like there's a clog or issue with that part of the blade assembly. Take a look at this video at 5:18 and you'll see the jets on the driver blade. After that point the video covers how to check and clear any blockage in the nozzle portion. If no apparent blockage, time to have service check the nozzle and possibly replace under warranty.

This is a huge help. Thanks the the link. I will go check this out.

Reactions: SMAlset
I have this exact issue, and on the Tesla Model 3 Canadian forum (on Facebook) there are a bunch of us having the same issue. I suspect it's a design flaw, i.e. the fluid doesn't make it's way to the lower left quadrant (as seen from drivers eye)

That is correct - same experience here, in freezing NJ.

And THAT is part of the problem.
The in-arm jets shoot the fluid behind the sweeping motion of the wiper. Thus, the first upward motion only smears the dirt all over the glass. Less of a problem if it is raining, a much bigger problem if it's snowing/sleeting/dirt got kicked up by the cars ahead of you.

The secondary problem is the feebleness of the spray. At highway speeds, the water spray pattern beads upward before the wiper blade hits it on the down swing. Therefore, the lower left corner simply does not get fluid to clean it.
If you slow down, and spray a few times in a row, eventually some liquid will find its way to the lower left of the windshield. But at highways speeds - fouuuggeataboutittttt.

I find, in addition to the poor spray function, the wipers themselves leave a huge line of residual water on the windshield (this happens with washer fluid or rainwater). It's like the wiper blades aren't at the correct angle to push the water down, and instead all the water just travels around the end of the wiper blade and stays on the window (then drips down). Pretty much every other car I've owned was much better at this function. Perhaps different blades with some type of little lip on the end would work better.

Just adding that I have had this problem since I got the car 18 months ago. Spent a lot of time trying to fix the dribble. A mobile tech made some minor adjustments but it didn't correct it. Then took it to the SC and they insisted it was working properly.