Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR take delivery in Dec 2022 or wait it out for HD radar in 2023? Don’t ’NEED’ the car but won’t qualify for Federal EV credits either.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN got assigned yesterday for 2023 MYLR. $3750 credit and 10k supercharger miles being offered.
Should I wait it out for the new hd radar potentially being added in Jan/Feb 2023?
I know .. there is always something you can wait for.... it just feels like an HD radar would be a big one given the copious amounts of phantom braking and autosteer panicking out of nowhere that I have experienced personally on teslas (when renting - Turo, others) even on base autopilot and traffic aware cruise control.

The discount in Dec 2022 is nice and I will not qualify for federal credits in 2023 or beyond either. That said, I do not absolutely ‘need’ the car though. Drive pretty less too (8k miles a year).

Will there be a hd radar retro fit option on model Y if the radar does get added in 2023? how much will that cost if so?

What are the chances that with the EV federal credit being a thing, the market becomes more competitive and Tesla makes the $3750 discount ‘permanent’ in 2023?

Thoughts from this group?
Given all this, should I take the discount and go for it or cancel the order, wait it out?

If you wait, also wait until the new computer is available (AP4?). However, if you are not interested in FSD on city streets, might not matter. Personally, I think the biggest reason to wait is to see what happens with the elimination of USS. For me, not having USS is a deal-killer as I totally rely on them due to zero depth perception and I have a tight garage.

Reactions: Jjrss
Upvote 0
If you wait, also wait until the new computer is available (AP4?). However, if you are not interested in FSD on city streets, might not matter. Personally, I think the biggest reason to wait is to see what happens with the elimination of USS. For me, not having USS is a deal-killer as I totally rely on them due to zero depth perception and I have a tight garage.
USS is worthless in a tight garage because it only works with distances > 12"

I have < 2" clearance. USS doesn't work. I had to put reflective tape on the ground, and rely on the repeater cameras.

Upvote 0
USS is worthless in a tight garage because it only works with distances > 12"

I have < 2" clearance. USS doesn't work. I had to put reflective tape on the ground, and rely on the repeater cameras.
For someone without depth perception at all (myself included), your garage would cause a panic attack if we were forced to use it 🤣

But, USS would 100% assist on getting lined up properly prior to entering. I would not be buying this car without USS or a "better" solution, which I dont believe the Vision Only solution can ever overcome with current camera placement

Upvote 0
For someone without depth perception at all (myself included), your garage would cause a panic attack if we were forced to use it 🤣

But, USS would 100% assist on getting lined up properly prior to entering. I would not be buying this car without USS or a "better" solution, which I dont believe the Vision Only solution can ever overcome with current camera placement
To line up the car when entering the garage, I put reflective tape on the front wall, and I line it up with the clip on the driver's side wiper arm.

This is one of those situations where if we had access to the pillar camera or even the front windshield mounted camera, it would be pretty helpful to fill in some of the gaps.

Upvote 0
VIN got assigned yesterday for 2023 MYLR. $3750 credit and 10k supercharger miles being offered.
Should I wait it out for the new hd radar potentially being added in Jan/Feb 2023?
I know .. there is always something you can wait for.... it just feels like an HD radar would be a big one given the copious amounts of phantom braking and autosteer panicking out of nowhere that I have experienced personally on teslas (when renting - Turo, others) even on base autopilot and traffic aware cruise control.

The discount in Dec 2022 is nice and I will not qualify for federal credits in 2023 or beyond either. That said, I do not absolutely ‘need’ the car though. Drive pretty less too (8k miles a year).

Will there be a hd radar retro fit option on model Y if the radar does get added in 2023? how much will that cost if so?

What are the chances that with the EV federal credit being a thing, the market becomes more competitive and Tesla makes the $3750 discount ‘permanent’ in 2023?

Given all this, should I take the discount and go for it or cancel the order, wait it out?
Why not take delivery and get all the incentives and then see how 2023 plays out. If indeed they launch a bunch of new hardware and lower the price. You could possibly trade it and break even or only lose a little bit. If those things don’t come to fruition, then you got the better deal.

Reactions: ss——
Upvote 0

I would wait, and don't buy FSD if you think that's what you need for the upgrade..

Upvote 0
It doesn’t explicitly say radar in the filing
Not the letter alone, but part of the FCC filing does say radar in it. Scroll down to the bottom of the article they have a copy of the drawing/ document.

Elektrek.co
Tesla files to use a new radar and everyone is confused

It seems to be confirmed to be Radar.

But yes I totally agree that it could only be specific models for sure. Plaid, Cyber truck....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the very least, give existing owners the option to pay for the upgrade. If not, they are really burning whatever goodwill they have left.

I understand accept and understand the price decrease, but to screw existing owners from even paying for the hardware means older cars become seriously undesirable on resale (and existing owners won't enjoy the same level of safety features)

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Upvote 0
At the very least, give existing owners the option to pay for the upgrade. If not, they are really burning whatever goodwill they have left.

I understand accept and understand the price decrease, but to screw existing owners from even paying for the hardware means older cars become seriously undesirable on resale (and existing owners won't enjoy the same level of safety features)
I agree with you but I don't trust Tesla anymore with anything they say. I think they will continue to drop prices again. My plan is to pay off the car asap.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
Upvote 0
Folks who are taking orders need to really stop expecting goodwill from Tesla. If you got the order in Dec, one should have seen that a sizable price cut was looming in the upcoming months (beyond the abruptness/size). If you pick up a car now, there is no USS, so folks shouldn’t complain if HW4 or USS hardware fix isn’t retroactively given.

Tesla is about making money and pushing cars into the customers hands at as high a volume as possible. Good will isn’t in their vocabulary.

So get the car you need at the timing you choose at that moment. But don’t cry when someone gets something else a few weeks/months later.

Upvote 0
Wait for end of second quarter at least. Just because they announce HW4 "mid-January" doesnt mean you'll see it before 2nd or 3rd quarter. If deliveries tank in 1st quarter, and 2nd quarter isnt any better, expect more price drops. Model Y in China are selling for ~$30k, because they have competition with home grown BYD.

Reactions: Mike7564
Upvote 0
We need to step back a bit, the leaked doc about HD radar didn't specify what vehicle it'll be for, and in market date is so arbitrary we can't possibly use that to gauge actual introduction date to production vehicle. If you don't need the car now and newer tech is important then waiting is the best option, but keep in mind a number of things will change as we move forward, IRA incentive could be halved, price could change again (up or down), HW4 may happen or may get delayed. All those are variables that we can't control and frankly don't have a good forecast on.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
I have been looking at low mileage 2022 MYP. I was supposed to buy one with 1600 miles and was ready to send payment, and they "sold it to someone else." This was in the middle of completing paperwork (Carmax).

I won't get the rebate anyway, so either I will wait until Tesla adds back radar, or I will continue to look for a used 2022.

Upvote 0