Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 2023, trunk only opens from app or screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we got a MYP and Im not sure what I’m doing wrong but I cannot open the trunk from the trunk button outside. I can only open it by touching the screen or using the app on the phone. I checked the Locks menu and there is nothing I can see that would solve it. Even at home, parked in the garage with the car unlocked the trunk doesn’t open from the outside.
‘does any have some suggestions?
thanks

Hi, we got a MYP and Im not sure what I’m doing wrong but I cannot open the trunk from the trunk button outside. I can only open it by touching the screen or using the app on the phone. I checked the Locks menu and there is nothing I can see that would solve it. Even at home, parked in the garage with the car unlocked the trunk doesn’t open from the outside.
‘does any have some suggestions?
thanks

Does your phone as key work to unlock the other doors on your car?

Upvote 0
This has happened to me several times. Each time it's because the car does not sense my phone as a key and has not even unlocked the car. Walking around the car or waving my phone does respond with unlock and allow opening hatch (Feb 2022 MSLR) with button. But if your car does sense your phone and it still will not open, maybe schedule service through the phone app.

Upvote 0
It didn’t work even if I had the phone in my hand. I went to try to check what you suggested @jjrandorin and didn’t work. However, I just tried disabling the “Driver door unlock mode” option and now the trunk works. I can approach the car locked or unlocked and press the trunk button from outside the car and it works. if anyone else has this issue try disabling that option.

Upvote 0
I forgot about that setting (driver door unlock mode) but that setting is a bit counter intuitive. When you have "driver door unlock mode" ON, it means "only the drivers door unlocks" so by definition, what you experienced is what is designed to happen with that mode on.. but its certainly not clear from Tesla that is the case.

Upvote 0
Yeahnah, every time I read this I understand it to be backwards. But, trying both settings I still cannot get the trunk to unlock with the button when at home and not having the fob or phone app with me. It used to work fine without needing all that. I would just walk out to the garage and the doors would be unlocked along with the trunk. Something changed an update ago or so but I don't remember which. I imagine the next time I try these settings it will work great, right? I'm getting tired of trying though.

Upvote 0