Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 21' Michelin Pilot AS4 Sizing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toying with the idea of ordering a MYP and doing some due diligence before I pull the trigger. From what I've read on here, it appears one of the best All-Season tire options to swap with the stock Uberturbines w/ Pirelli Summer Tires (I live in a cold/snowy winter area) are the Michelin Pilot AS/4? Thinking of purchasing these and swapping them with the stock tires not long after delivery and before the winter hits. Seems like the easiest, most cost effective option as opposed to buying and storing an entire winter tire set.

I'm a total tire noob, so hoping someone can confirm that these are the correct tires/sizes (if I'm trying to match stock) and that it is as simple as taking it to a tire shop and having them swap them out with the stock wheels.

1630379711926.jpeg

Thanks in advance

I just had the AS4s installed on my MYP today and they are great so far!

265/35R21 up front and 275/35R21s in the rear

Planning to keep an eye on the Wh/mi to see how these tires compare to the efficiency of the stock Pirellis.
@ERAUGrad04 Please let us all know what you conclude, noise level wise and efficiency wise. How's the comfort level of the ride?

@ERAUGrad04 Please let us all know what you conclude, noise level wise and efficiency wise. How's the comfort level of the ride?

So far, they are great! I’ve put about 400mi on them and would say they are are great alternative to the P Zeros.

In terms of noise, I would say they are really close to the stock tires. Measured on my Apple Watch at 68mph on the same stretch of road, I’m seeing about 1dB higher on the Michelins (63-64dB vs 62-63dB).

Efficiency will take some time for a good comparison. I reset one of the trip meters so that I can compare after ~1800mi. The stock P Zeros after 1800mi were at 287wh/mi. So far, after 400mi of driving, the Michelins are at 302wh/mi, however, the driving has not been identical. I’ll be sure to report back after 1000mi+ with a better average.

Reactions: jebinc
Why the quick change of tires? You haven't had the car for very long?

Had the car only a month or so, however, I will be using the car to head up to Tahoe this winter for some skiing and the stock P Zeros won’t do so well for those trips. A friend offered to buy the take-off stock tires, so I figured I’d make the swap a few months early!

I considered having a second set of wheels and tires, but in the end, not having to swap wheels was the easy button!

Reactions: ch1zzle and jpy1980
Had the car only a month or so, however, I will be using the car to head up to Tahoe this winter for some skiing and the stock P Zeros won’t do so well for those trips. A friend offered to buy the take-off stock tires, so I figured I’d make the swap a few months early!

I considered having a second set of wheels and tires, but in the end, not having to swap wheels was the easy button!
Did you buy the Tesla chains for the ubertine wheels? What are you going to do when it dumps snow? This is my dilemma now as I want to take my Y to the snow but my 21s are making me consider getting a second set of wheels.

Did you buy the Tesla chains for the ubertine wheels? What are you going to do when it dumps snow? This is my dilemma now as I want to take my Y to the snow but my 21s are making me consider getting a second set of wheels.
No chains. The AWD on the Y is incredible. With solid AS tires, it should perform really well.

All that said, I’m not planning to make the drive if the weather is planned to be crap. I drove many winters in Chicago in 2wd vehicles with no chains and did just fine. Figure the AWD paired with good tires should do pretty well.

Reactions: jpy1980