Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - Build and Mod Advice....Öhlins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!

I recently joined the forum as I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a MYP. Thought I’d get some input and advice from the community.

My plans are the following build:
  • Model Y Performance
  • White Interior
Immediate Mods:
My main questions are:
  • Change suspension only vs. Tire/wheels or both?
  • I am thinking of getting the Ohlins and/or changing out the 21” uberturbine wheels for 19” wheels with beefier tires (taller sidewall)
  • Chances I will receive the Ryzen chip and 4680 battery if I order now
My gut says try the wheels/tires first before swapping the suspension. Coming from mostly German cars and driving the model Y the ride is very rough. I was wondering if it would be possible to get 19” wheels and get tire with the taller sidewall, ideally something like the Pilot Sport All Season 4 (non rft).

Thanks in advance! :)

• Don't change a thing until you have driven at least 1000 miles. And then wheels/tires first, then maybe suspension after.
  • I am thinking of getting the Ohlins and/or changing out the 21” uberturbine wheels for 19” wheels with beefier tires (taller sidewall)
    • Canadian roads = potholes = damaged rims. So, yeah on the rims.
    • Unplugged Performance is a suspension builder for the Y. Not sure Ohlins is into it yet. Also, you lose suspension warranty (maybe drive train too) for if you go that route. Something to think about on a brand new US$70K vehicle.
    • Ryzen yes, 4680 safer if build date is in Q2.

• Don't change a thing until you have driven at least 1000 miles. And then wheels/tires first, then maybe suspension after.
    • Canadian roads = potholes = damaged rims. So, yeah on the rims.
    • Unplugged Performance is a suspension builder for the Y. Not sure Ohlins is into it yet. Also, you lose suspension warranty (maybe drive train too) for if you go that route. Something to think about on a brand new US$70K vehicle.
    • Ryzen yes, 4680 safer if build date is in Q2.
Hi SilentWarp, Thank you very much for the reply. The warranty issue wasn't something I thought would be a problem...maybe loose warranty on suspension only? I saw lots of threads on the forum with aftermarket warranty...lots of people rolling the dice eh.

Yeah don't buy the warranty thing. There is actually a YTer that has air bag suspension completely modified and his front upper control arm went bad. It was replaced via Tesla service and he paid ZERO. Warranty is a crap shoot but just because you put on coliovers doesn't translate you to automatically loosing your warranty.

I would suggest driving the car stock for a bit as suggested above just to get the bugs worked out if you have any.

Hi SilentWarp, Thank you very much for the reply. The warranty issue wasn't something I thought would be a problem...maybe loose warranty on suspension only? I saw lots of threads on the forum with aftermarket warranty...lots of people rolling the dice eh.
Yes, technically they can't deny warranty claims unless the failure is related to your aftermarket upgrade. But 'related' is a very general term. Tesla is very strict (lazy) in that they will relate everything to everything to deny claims. Someone here said their window regulator issue was denied because they changed the puddle lights (casts the 'T' logo under the doors at night). That is one Ebay upgrade I won't be doing!

If you try to fight them on what caused the failure, you will be the one hiring an engineer (they have plenty of their own to 'prove' causation). They know you won't bother, so they win. This isn't a Tesla thing, its an industry thing.

As others have mentioned, while not required, I would recommend driving the car as is for a bit in case there are any issues. The last thing you want to do is attribute some issues to something like your new suspension or your new tires/wheels without having a good baseline. I waited about 2K miles before doing anything to my model 3 (coilovers, wrap, new tires/wheels) and I am glad I did. I had a few (minor) service appointments.

I dont think the coilovers will void your warranty in any way, but I did have a friend who has a model Y with coilovers and Tesla asked him to raise the car before servicing something (I can't remember what it was).

Yes, technically they can't deny warranty claims unless the failure is related to your aftermarket upgrade. But 'related' is a very general term. Tesla is very strict (lazy) in that they will relate everything to everything to deny claims. Someone here said their window regulator issue was denied because they changed the puddle lights (casts the 'T' logo under the doors at night). That is one Ebay upgrade I won't be doing!

If you try to fight them on what caused the failure, you will be the one hiring an engineer (they have plenty of their own to 'prove' causation). They know you won't bother, so they win. This isn't a Tesla thing, its an industry thing.
This guy would disagree with you. Here is a nearly 2 year old Tesla. Completely modified to INCLUDE suspension. A suspension part went bad that easily could have been directly related to his airbag suspension yet not only did Tesla fix it for free they did it at his house.

Yes warranty is always a crap shoot but just know clearly Tesla isn't very strict (lazy) and certainly didn't deny his claim even though this one was pretty black and white.

This guy would disagree with you. Here is a nearly 2 year old Tesla. Completely modified to INCLUDE suspension. A suspension part went bad that easily could have been directly related to his airbag suspension yet not only did Tesla fix it for free they did it at his house.

Yes warranty is always a crap shoot but just know clearly Tesla isn't very strict (lazy) and certainly didn't deny his claim even though this one was pretty black and white.
I could see your YouTube video and raise you a thread....

Yes it is a crap shoot. Each owner needs to decide if the mod is worth the risk.

I was keen on those new dashboards with AndroidAuto and CarPlay. Then I started thinking about the fact it intercepts the wiring to the infotainment computer and do I really want to risk that? Tesla could claim anything that goes wrong with a car run by a computer was caused by messing with the wiring of said computer. They don't have to invest too much of their time to prove that.

I decided to just go with what Tesla created with their minimalist interior and stop trying to fight it. I'm sure I can live without AndroidAuto.

Last edited:
@SilentWarp totally agree on the electrical mods no doubt. My pain threshold for modifying anything electrical is nil because I agree with you. Mechanical however I would do and not be too worried but then again as you mentioned everyone has to figure it out on their own. Some on here probably wouldn’t even change to a different wheel and tire.

Hello Everyone!

I recently joined the forum as I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a MYP. Thought I’d get some input and advice from the community.

My plans are the following build:
  • Model Y Performance
  • White Interior
Immediate Mods:
My main questions are:
My gut says try the wheels/tires first before swapping the suspension. Coming from mostly German cars and driving the model Y the ride is very rough. I was wondering if it would be possible to get 19” wheels and get tire with the taller sidewall, ideally something like the Pilot Sport All Season 4 (non rft).

Thanks in advance! :)
Did you wrap it in Nardo Grey? Thinking of doing the same.