Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP in Seattle and PNW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in the Seattle or PNW area with a MYP and just drive with the summer tires year round?

I was thinking about getting another set of rims and tires for the winter. But I have a feeling the summer tires will be just fine in Seattle year round. Weather is pretty mild here, doesn't get all that cold most of the time. Just rainy ish.

I do have a VW Tiguan that does great if it snows or if I need to go over the pass or something.

Anyone have thoughts

Anyone in the Seattle or PNW area with a MYP and just drive with the summer tires year round?

I was thinking about getting another set of rims and tires for the winter. But I have a feeling the summer tires will be just fine in Seattle year round. Weather is pretty mild here, doesn't get all that cold most of the time. Just rainy ish.

I do have a VW Tiguan that does great if it snows or if I need to go over the pass or something.

Anyone have thoughts
I live on Whidbey Island and have a MYP on order for delivery in the next month. I just placed an order for the new Michelin All seasons that release Dec 21. I have lived here only one winter but I don’t see how I would feel comfortable driving with the summer tires and I grew up driving in snow and ice in Kansas. The roads are not cleared here and they don’t have sand trucks to adequately treat roads. Temperatures also dip below 40 which the summer tires are only rated down to

MYP down south in Tacoma & I run winter 19” Gemini & 21” Überturbines both stock/factory tires at the moment, but will eventually move to a studless snow tire on the 19’s & all seasons on the 21’s.

Avid skier ⛷ myself but PNW winters and snows are slippery when compared to dry snow ❄️ that has grip/traction like Santa Fe, NM. We also have minimal snow plows etc - so I always advise for good tires up here if not for snow, but lots of wet roads.

Summer performance tires are rarely good on wet roads & terrible on snow.

Last edited:
Alaska - have a MYP on order, I snatched the 19 Gemini winter tire set with Pirelli Winter Sottozeros on Tesla website when it was briefly available a couple weeks ago. I will be selling the Ubers as soon as I receive the car as those will be an absolute big NO during winter or even fall weather here. I got the Rimetrix Aero covers for the geminis that make them look pretty good IMO. I prefer function over form anyway but the rimetrix covers will help cover the unpleasant look of the naked geminis :)

Anyone have thoughts
Live in Everett. We've had our Model Y Performance since July of 2020. There were a few days last winter that we didn't drive during the lowland snow. We do carry snow socks in case we need them in a pinch, but didn't use them last year during that snow.
PXL_20201213_233856746.jpg

Anyone have thoughts
Live in Portland and had summer tires on my X3 M model that didn’t handle well in the cold rain, let alone snow. The nights in Dec. - March can get below 40 degrees and the rubber hardens, creating a dangerous ride. The car can get around in short driving instances if needed, but I’d swap into 275/265-35/21 Michelin AS4 tires. I wanted to keep the Uber 21” rims and it’s a significant step up in PNW winter weather handling. Discount Tire can get them pretty quickly by you. The snow socks above are rated to 20 or 25mph max, which may make your winter drive quite long.

Older PacNW native here, IMHO, depending on where you live and when you need to drive, summers year round are not suitable. We have a lot of cold icy days and enough surprise snow that planning around it may be challenging and leave you in a predicament. There are also many drivers not equipped to deal with our blend of freezing and snow, lack of snow mitigation equipment, and their own unfamiliarity with how to actually drive in it, that become a hazard to you. Don't make your summers handicap your chances of driving safely even further, get all seasons or better yet, dedicated winters.

The snow socks are also basically throw away, you'll use them a few times then need to discard. We did hit one peculiarity of how WSDOT handles traction requirements in some rare circumstances. Even with Blizzaks all the way around on a front wheel drive vehicle, there was a chains required mandate for non-4WD/AWD vehicles over Snoqualmie a few years ago. The socks were available on short notice and they made it fine but I'd wager they've got one trip back over before they'll be shot, so maybe 100 miles total.

Chains to me are not worth the risk to your vehicle if they fail, the probability they'll damage your wheels, or hassle to install and remove. Go drive the passes in early spring and see the dozens of chains flung on the shoulders. Do the math on what will happen to your Tesla, should one fail on your wheel.