Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP wheel / tire assistance please for winter/summer set up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few questions about upcoming MYP delivery as I have not yet taken delivery but will in February right in the middle of our winter. Kentucky is mild relative to other spots but we do get snow, slush and ice. Avg snowfall is about 10-15 in for reference.

Ideally this is what I would like to do but assume this can't really happen.
  1. Can someone tell me the Tire brand/model/size that come on the MYP?
  2. Can someone tell me the wheel size and if they are different on the MYP (I know it is a staggered set up)?
  3. Ultimately I would like to use the stock wheels as the winter set up but assuming this is stupid since 21" winter tires are about worthless and you really need to go down in size? Thoughts on this thinking? So if that is the case then this post is really over as I will just need to get a winter set of wheels and tires in 19" and there are plenty of threads about people doing that.
    1. IF this can be done then my next question would be this. For summer set up could I buy wheels that are SQUARE but use the staggered summer tires that come on the car. Later then when those wear out I would have the option to buy a square set up next?
    2. IF this can be done any recommendations for 21" winter tires folks have used successfully? Also can I put a square winter set up on the stock wheels?
Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to the Tesla journey.

• Size: 21X9.5" Front, 21X10.5" Rear
  • Offset: +40 Front, +48 Rear
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21x9.5" = 38.05lbs, 21x10.5" = 38.95lbs
  • Lug Nut Spec: 21mm Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft
  • Tire Spec: Pirelli P Zero 255/35-21 XL 98W Front, 275/35-21 XL 103W Rear
The stock wheels on a MYP are staggered, so you can't just put the same size tires on all four corners (AFAIK). I have an impending delivery soon here in mid TN, where I get the off chance of snow here and there, but everything shuts down when it does. So, I went with an aftermarket 20" wheel (T-Sportline TST - the Turbine clone) with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 255 /40 R20 101Y XL.

Reactions: goin2drt
  • Size: 21X9.5" Front, 21X10.5" Rear
  • Offset: +40 Front, +48 Rear
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 21x9.5" = 38.05lbs, 21x10.5" = 38.95lbs
  • Lug Nut Spec: 21mm Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft
  • Tire Spec: Pirelli P Zero 255/35-21 XL 98W Front, 275/35-21 XL 103W Rear
The stock wheels on a MYP are staggered, so you can't just put the same size tires on all four corners (AFAIK). I have an impending delivery soon here in mid TN, where I get the off chance of snow here and there, but everything shuts down when it does. So, I went with an aftermarket 20" wheel (T-Sportline TST - the Turbine clone) with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 255 /40 R20 101Y XL.

Great topic started by goin2drt and thanks lugrid for providing the MYT wheel specs. I'm about to pulll the trigger on a MYP, and am facing a similar situation. I live in the Phila, PA 'burbs which can have four months of Icy cold and snowy weather. So, I'm looking to order an aftermarket 19" wheel / all-season tire combo, as the stock 21"-wheel is not suited for snow and icy cold conditions. As probably many of the members here know, TSPORTLINE and TIRERACK seem to be the popular aftermarket wheel and tire suppliers for Tesla. One combo option that TSPORTLINE offers is the TSV 19"-wheel with the Continental Pilot Sport AS4 255/45ZR19. However, it is not a staggered set-up as they are all 9.5", 19"-wheels. Would it be it optimal to run them staggered - say a 9.5" rear and 8.5" front? Or am I overthinking it, as the staggered set-up is only optimal for the 21"-performance wheels driving in ideal conditions, while the 19"-set up is more geared towards wintry / all season driving? Furthermore, should the OFFSET for the 19"-wheel be the same for the front and rear wheels, or should the they mimic the stock 21"-wheel set-up with a wider(?) rear offset?

Great topic started by goin2drt and thanks lugrid for providing the MYT wheel specs. I'm about to pulll the trigger on a MYP, and am facing a similar situation. I live in the Phila, PA 'burbs which can have four months of Icy cold and snowy weather. So, I'm looking to order an aftermarket 19" wheel / all-season tire combo, as the stock 21"-wheel is not suited for snow and icy cold conditions. As probably many of the members here know, TSPORTLINE and TIRERACK seem to be the popular aftermarket wheel and tire suppliers for Tesla. One combo option that TSPORTLINE offers is the TSV 19"-wheel with the Continental Pilot Sport AS4 255/45ZR19. However, it is not a staggered set-up as they are all 9.5", 19"-wheels. Would it be it optimal to run them staggered - say a 9.5" rear and 8.5" front? Or am I overthinking it, as the staggered set-up is only optimal for the 21"-performance wheels driving in ideal conditions, while the 19"-set up is more geared towards wintry / all season driving? Furthermore, should the OFFSET for the 19"-wheel be the same for the front and rear wheels, or should the they mimic the stock 21"-wheel set-up with a wider(?) rear offset?
FOR ME - I would go square for winter set up. One the looks are not going to be that different. Two you will get WAY more miles out of a set because you can rotate front to back. Personally I am leaning to "getyourwheels" vendor here for a set up. They seems to have some fair prices and SO FAR their communication has been great back and forth. Having said that I am still not pulling the trigger.

The latest news is the MYP are now coming with Pilot All Seasons. I have those on another car we drive here and this will be their first winter so I am going to see how they do over the next several weeks (we are a late Jan delivery). I do not have high hopes a 21" all season staggered set up is going to be that great for winter but ours are mild so mileage may vary.

I am so indecisive on this one. If these all seasons do ok I may just go 20", square set up, and go with the Pilot AS and get the package from above and then just sell the complete 21" set up and be done with it. I know we will lose a bit of performance in the summer but the Pilot AS have been great this summer on the other car.

Yeah, I'm going to have to see what mine ends up coming with. Here in TN, I think we're even more mild in winter than you are. It wasn't even the ice+snow potential I was worried about with the P-Zero Summer tires, it was just the fact that, for instance last night when I was driving it was 29 degrees.

If I get All-Season from the factory on my vehicle, which is looking likely since my EDD is the later part of December, and I don't have a VIN, yet, I'm going to have to see what kind of return policy Discount Tire Direct has for the 20" AS4s I already ordered. As well as cancel my T-Sportline order if they don't ship soon.

In PA, with decent snow (and potholes), I would suggest a 19" square setup with actual snow tires (three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF)) for use during the winter months, and throw the OEM 21" one in the summer.