Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP with P Zeros - Going down to 25 degrees tonight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under perform how? What tangible difference will I experience driving on an UHP All-Season tire in the Fall, Spring, or Summer? Not talking about the track, I'm saying in typical urban driving which is what most people are doing with this "Performance" car.

Usually braking distance is longer, you might also have wheel spin (though not likely with an AWD with fast acting traction control and high weight). You can check out TireRack and their tire tests. While some of it will be track focused (like lateral G force) there is usual information for road use, especially braking distance in the dry and wet.

Under perform how? What tangible difference will I experience driving on an UHP All-Season tire in the Fall, Spring, or Summer? Not talking about the track, I'm saying in typical urban driving which is what most people are doing with this "Performance" car.
Snow tires have soft compounds which can withstand low temperates and still stick to the road. They also have extra sipping and a more aggressive tread pattern to aid in snow/ice traction.

Summer tires have hard compounds which can withstand high temperatures before melting. Summer tires have stiffer sidewalls and appropriate tread patterns for spirited driving.

All-Season and All-Weather tires are in between. They don't get as soft or as hard, they don't have stiff sidewalls, they don't have the aggressive thread pattern necessary. They can't be as good as the proper tire compound for each season. Can your butt tell the difference? That is subjective, but that fact is a jack-of-all trades will not be as good as a specialized product without compromises.

this might come as a surprise but newer ultra-high performance all-seasons outperform summer tires in wet braking distance, by quite a big safety margin; this is something you'll appreciate on the road as opposed to just the track:
Ultra High Performance (UHP) All-Season test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=259
Max Performance Summer test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=248 (includes P Zero (PZ4), not quite the ELECT version in the MYP but close)

all-seasons being a significant performance compromise is the case for grand touring all-seasons (ex. Vred. Quatrac Pro, Michelin CrossClimate, Pirelli P7); since at least the Michelin PS All Season 3 UHP tire a few years ago, it's been performing at a level you'd expect from a summer tire on the road (still an edge towards summer tires for track driving) but being much more suitable for when weather is not constantly above 80 degrees; at around 65 degrees and lower (which would be the case for most summer nights even), the UHP all season tire will already be outperforming the summer tire in most areas. In milder climates like the pacific northwest (typically 40 deg. winters, 80 deg summers), and especially when wet, UHP all-seasons are perfect for year-round use; and the newest PS AS 4 tire has great snow performance too and comes as factory tire (though slightly different, with less snow performance) of the new Corvette C8 which touts its 1g cornering on the skid pad on an all-season tire.

summer-stopping.png
allseason-stopping.png

Last edited:
this might come as a surprise but newer ultra-high performance all-seasons outperform summer tires in wet braking distance, by quite a big safety margin; this is something you'll appreciate on the road as opposed to just the track:
Ultra High Performance (UHP) All-Season test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=259
Max Performance Summer test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=248 (includes P Zero (PZ4), not quite the ELECT version in the MYP but close)

all-seasons being a significant performance compromise is the case for grand touring all-seasons (ex. Vred. Quatrac Pro, Michelin CrossClimate, Pirelli P7); since at least the Michelin PS All Season 3 UHP tire a few years ago, it's been performing at a level you'd expect from a summer tire on the road (still an edge towards summer tires for track driving) but being much more suitable for when weather is not constantly above 80 degrees; at around 65 degrees and lower (which would be the case for most summer nights even), the UHP all season tire will already be outperforming the summer tire in most areas. In milder climates like the pacific northwest (typically 40 deg. winters, 80 deg summers), and especially when wet, UHP all-seasons are perfect for year-round use; and the newest PS AS 4 tire has great snow performance too and comes as factory tire (though slightly different, with less snow performance) of the new Corvette C8 which touts its 1g cornering on the skid pad on an all-season tire.

View attachment 618215 View attachment 618216

Good news, just waiting on my 19" Vossens to come in and have PS4AS waiting at costco to be installed. Cars sitting in the garage today though as I dont trust the 21's on this snow.

Wet traction is largely about how good the tread pattern is at displacing water--I'd expect most A/S tires to be better than summer tires in that regard on truly wet roads.

I do completely agree with you that performance A/S tires are a great solution. Tires have become really, really good over the last 5-10 years and a good A/S doesn't leave much on the table for summer performance unless you're tracking or autocrossing the car.

I just tested my MY with the OEM Conti tires on snow that had a soft ice underneath. The car did pretty poorly. I then took out our minivan which is pretty good in the snow, and found out that my MY wasn't as bad as I thought - the roads were just really slick. I'm pondering getting a set of X-Ice tires for the winter. I typically don't drive when the roads are in really bad shape, so I may stick with my all seasons.