Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ shows garages but not gates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has seen the same thing. I have 3 garages on my MyQ and one powered gate. The gate is where I actually park my car. When logged in, the car detects the 3 garages but not the gate I actually need. All of them work in the app and I have for quite a while

Reactions: ClaytonW
We can’t do anything here to assist other than say, bummer. I suggest you contact Chamberlain/MyQ and let them know the limitations of their poor implementation will keep you from paying for the subscription. Support looks like a good place to start for their support group.

Reactions: DDotJ
We can’t do anything here to assist other than say, bummer. I suggest you contact Chamberlain/MyQ and let them know the limitations of their poor implementation will keep you from paying for the subscription. Support looks like a good place to start for their support group.
Yep, I let Chamberlain know that it was the reason I would not be subscribing to their service and would continue to use the free MyQ app on my phone.

What's so bizarre about this (MyQ not "supporting" gates) is the remote signal for a gate should be the same thing as a garage door. If the MyQ "learns" remotes via mimicking the signal, a gate remote should be learnable for MyQ.

We're installing a Ghost Controls gate opener and hoping for the best here. Ghost Controls said the MyQ should work (easy for them to say). I'll keep y'all posted.

I
What's so bizarre about this (MyQ not "supporting" gates) is the remote signal for a gate should be the same thing as a garage door. If the MyQ "learns" remotes via mimicking the signal, a gate remote should be learnable for MyQ.

We're installing a Ghost Controls gate opener and hoping for the best here. Ghost Controls said the MyQ should work (easy for them to say). I'll keep y'all posted.
I *think* OP is talking about the new network connected MyQ connectivity.

I just talked with Chamberlin Support about not having gate controls, again. This time a helpful man explained that the MyQ app on the phone is a Chamberlin app. The app in the car is a Tesla app. It appears that Tesla is the one that needs to implement gate functionally, not Chamberlin. He also mentions that it may have do with Wi-Fi accessibility at gate locations. Perhaps the Tesla app is only Wi-Fi based rather than having access through LTE.
For those of us that have gate openers, even with a Wi-Fi connection, it seems like Homelink is still the only onscreen option available. I was hoping to grease the squeaky wheel again with Chamberlin, but the ball appears to be in Tesla’s court. So for now it is still phone app, clicker, or buy Homelink.
I wonder if the MyQ app in Honda’s can open gates???

I just talked with Chamberlin Support about not having gate controls, again. This time a helpful man explained that the MyQ app on the phone is a Chamberlin app. The app in the car is a Tesla app. It appears that Tesla is the one that needs to implement gate functionally, not Chamberlin. He also mentions that it may have do with Wi-Fi accessibility at gate locations. Perhaps the Tesla app is only Wi-Fi based rather than having access through LTE.
For those of us that have gate openers, even with a Wi-Fi connection, it seems like Homelink is still the only onscreen option available. I was hoping to grease the squeaky wheel again with Chamberlin, but the ball appears to be in Tesla’s court. So for now it is still phone app, clicker, or buy Homelink.
I wonder if the MyQ app in Honda’s can open gates???
Thanks for the update. On the MyQ site it states that MyQ app uses the mobile data from the car so there goes his Wi-Fi theory.

I too wondered though if it was Tesla, or MyQ causing the problem, but I think it's MyQ. I have the same issue with Amazon Key in-garage delivery. The Amazon driver can open my garage door, but they can't get to my garage door because they can't open my gate! The Amazon app only gives them access to my garage door even though they have access to my LiftMaster MyQ devices.

I was really hoping to go with MyQ instead of the Homelink hardware again but as of now I'm holding out from getting either one.

I spoke today to myQ support and they confirmed that the gates are not supported. They mentioned that gates should be supported in future but no date. Without gates supported it's not much useful for me. I don't know why it is such a big problem to add gates...
Ah thanks so much for the info. I was totally debating adding MyQ to my gate for the purpose of using the auto open from the Tesla but I guess this seals that fate. I guess I will stick to regular old Homelink.

It seems the API myQ uses for its official connections: amazon, home bridge, Tesla - is different than the api used on their website/app. The website/app can be used through a homebridge linux plugin to pull anything from the myq website/app into apple HomeKit.

I hope the devs over there figure out how stupidly they've sit this up and fix it.

• Helpful
Reactions: JLFORBES