Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NASA selects SpaceX Starship system to land on moon - Discussion of Preparations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1703536867490.png

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Reactions: Grendal
It seems quite large for two people and gear.
Gear can be bulky. Given the design and given operation in 17% Earth gravity, it looks like they expect to offload some seriously-beefy items. But never larger than the interior of that cab. I wonder if there's a crane for offloading particularly large and bulky items.

They need to be trained yes but wondering why waste their time for testing these that are still in development.?
They're also providing feedback. Not that they've ever been on the Moon, but they know what it's like to operate in suits.

First takeaway from the 60 minutes story is that NASA's official projection of a late 2026 crewed HLS attempt is highly unlikely. Perhaps 2029 or even 2030 would be more realistic. Secondly, Blue Origin might have made some news tonight. Announcing they expect their HLS cargo version will attempt a lunar landing sometime in the next 12 to 18 months.

Blue Origin might have made some news tonight. Announcing they expect their HLS cargo version will attempt a lunar landing sometime in the next 12 to 18 months.
It would not surprise me to see SpaceX attempt a lunar landing of an empty Starship within 12 months from now.

Would such an attempt require multiple in-orbit refuelings, or maybe just one and then send it on its way?

Reactions: Grendal
Would such an attempt require multiple in-orbit refuelings, or maybe just one and then send it on its way?
According to my calculators, 5.66 km/s delta-v is needed to go from LEO to the Moon's surface, and an empty Starship would just make it with 400 tons of propellant. That assumes a dry mass of 100 tons for Starship.

So, depending on how much propellant a tanker can deliver to LEO, that would be somewhere between two and four tanker trips.

The mission requires an elevated launch cadence, orbital propellant transfer and, ideally, vehicle reuse. I assume those will be the things they work on in 2024.

It also requires a tanker, with the ability to load that while stacked, as well as a Starship capable of landing on the Moon. Somewhere in there, they would probably want some form of the life support systems so that they can see how they function in their target environment.

I'd guess more like 18 to 24 months, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

What do you mean? HLS Starship is their lander. No sign of a hull yet, but we've heard of bits and bobs. We don't get to see much of their small scale work because they don't roll it down the highway.
Ecarfan was commenting on the "cargo" version of the BO lander. SpaceX is focused on the "human rated" lander. They could, and maybe will, make a cargo version of the HLS first but it hasn't been talked about or shown. But realistically, if SpaceX wanted to do it, they could make a F9 or FH cargo lander for the Moon in less than a year.

Wait a minute…I thought you were of the opinion that robot explorers were better suited than fragile humans for missions beyond LEO? :)
Robots are better suited to all off-planet activities, but I'm not going to keep ragging on good people for pursuing their dreams. If they're going to train as astronauts, they obviously want to be walking on the Moon. I hope they realize their dream.

Robots are better suited to all off-planet activities, but I'm not going to keep ragging on good people for pursuing their dreams. If they're going to train as astronauts, they obviously want to be walking on the Moon. I hope they realize their dream.
Personally, I want to see giant pressurized sub surface caves where tourists can strap on some wings and actually fly.