Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on AP turned left through stoplight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I was driving with navigate on autopilot and it took the exit like it normally does, the navigate turned off and it slowly approached the stoplight at the end of the off ramp, the light was green and no cars in front of me. So I just let AP go ready to take over and was surprised when it very slowly turned left through the intersection and continued.

I just updated software after this happened to 2019.24.4 and don't remember what version it was before.
I will try the same off ramp and intersection to see if it will repeat.

Has anyone else had this happen?
I am not on early access program

Updates to the neutral net might be the reason why AP was able to make the left turn. Another small step to FSD but need a lot of testing while using AP so you're contributing your data definitely helps!

Some videos were posted about AP being able to make left/right turns.

My situation was an actual left hand turn through a traffc light 'intersection' at the end of an off ramp. This particular intersection, you must turn left or right.

If you were to go thru that intersection again, will AP make a turn automatically? How did it know to turn left instead of right? Was left the correct direction? Were you using nav routing at the time?

-edit-
I see you mentioned that NoA turned off at the end of the ramp, which would imply you were using nav routing to a destination. So essentially, regular AP is doing some NoA functionality on local roads? seems crazy. Would love to see if you could reproduce. Maybe grab a video by a passenger.

Reactions: Galve2000
I can't recall if it had the stripes. I'll take a video next time I try it.

Mnay of the intersections here in Illinois have 2 turn lanes each way and the intersection has a striped "arc" going through it showing you where to stay on your turn. The Tesla can take all of these without issue. I just need a car in front of me so I can turn on AP while sitting at the red light.

Need video.

Without that my guess is it just followed the lines (which is all the car in post #2 is doing) and would've done that even if the light was red- it didn't make an intersection turn, it just followed the road markings

Need video.

Without that my guess is it just followed the lines (which is all the car in post #2 is doing) and would've done that even if the light was red- it didn't make an intersection turn, it just followed the road markings

It is just following the lines. That why I pointed out it has to be a striped intersection. But a couple months ago it wouldn't even do that.

as mentioned above. Aslong as there are lines it will follow. Min takes a round about by my house with no issues and chooses the correct exit every time. I have to slow the vehicle down though for it to work. No autopilot navigated

I have not had a succesfull roundabout on AP yet. I keep trying but it keeps failing that. I will try slowing down a lot and see if that helps!

as mentioned above. Aslong as there are lines it will follow. Min takes a round about by my house with no issues and chooses the correct exit every time. I have to slow the vehicle down though for it to work. No autopilot navigated

Here is google screen shot of intersection. I haven’t been back yet to re try but I’ll update when I do.

Attachments

• 975A65E1-4C67-4A7E-ACA0-41F4B5F125CF.png
    975A65E1-4C67-4A7E-ACA0-41F4B5F125CF.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 178
Here is google screen shot of intersection. I haven’t been back yet to re try but I’ll update when I do.

Turning right it should have no issue. The left turn it would take it but not at high speeds. I would assume anything over 50 km/Hr it would just go crazy. The speed you enter these situations has a large impact at success I have found. If it fails... try the minimum speed of 35 K/Hr... LOL ... Of course under safe conditions.