Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate Home takes me to neighbor's house.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CullomNW

Jun 21, 2023
WA
It appears I need to add my GPS to the location of my home in Tesla's navigation software. Both Waze and Google Earth correctly
pinpoint my home. Can you identify for me which navigation software Tesla use? I believe that is the first question I need answered. Thanks for helping me solve this problem.

It appears I need to add my GPS to the location of my home in Tesla's navigation software. Both Waze and Google Earth correctly
pinpoint my home. Can you identify for me which navigation software Tesla use? I believe that is the first question I need answered. Thanks for helping me solve this problem.
Did you look at Google Maps? People have reported that getting google maps to correct a pin tends to fix a wrong pin problem. Usually the issue is the pin is put on a driveway or edge of a road, when their garage is at a different GPS location that is a way offs from that. This leads to home detection working incorrectly. Reporting the correct GPS coordinates to the Google maps team usually fixes that quickly.

Try navigating to your address directly (do not press home) to see if it is correct.

Try also entering a different address, save as home, then enter your address again to save again. This is just to eliminate the possibility of the saved home address being incorrect.

Generally the base tile map uses Google. The navigation map, people have reported to be a mix of Tomtom and OSM. There was another provider that I can't remember off the top of my head, I'll see if I can dig it up. Edit: other provider is Mapbox (which is related to OSM). Routing is apparently done via Valhalla.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you look at Google Maps? People have reported that getting google maps to correct a pin tends to fix a wrong pin problem. Usually the issue is the pin is put on a driveway or edge of a road, when their garage is at a different GPS location that is a way offs from that. This leads to home detection working incorrectly. Reporting the correct GPS coordinates to the Google maps team usually fixes that quickly.

Try navigating to your address directly (do not press home) to see if it is correct.

Try also entering a different address, save as home, then enter your address again to save again. This is just to eliminate the possibility of the saved home address being incorrect.

Generally the base tile map uses Google. The navigation map, people have reported to be a mix of Tomtom and OSM. There was another provider that I can't remember off the top of my head, I'll see if I can dig it up. Edit: other provider is Mapbox (which is related to OSM). Routing is apparently done via Valhalla.
Thank you so much for your ideas! I just double-checked that Google Earth, Google Maps, and Waze show the pins correctly when viewed on my laptop.
Tried navigating directly (without using home); still ended up at neighbor's house.
Entered and saved my daughter's address into Home, then re-entered my address and saved it back into Home. The car continued to take me to my neighbor's home.
Not sure how to proceed with Tomtom, MapboxOSM. Will see what ai has to offer.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your ideas! I just double-checked that Google Earth, Google Maps, and Waze show the pins correctly when viewed on my laptop.
Tried navigating directly (without using home); still ended up at neighbor's house.
Entered and saved my daughter's address into Home, then re-entered my address and saved it back into Home. The car continued to take me to my neighbor's home.
Not sure how to proceed with Tomtom, MapboxOSM. Will see what ai has to offer.
AI's suggestion was to send an email to [email protected]. and their auto response said they would get back to me. I'll let you know if/when I get a response.

Upvote 0
I live near a Newly installed Tesla Supercharger. The SC install, won't allow my car to navigate to "Home" in favorites. What happens is that the car automatically changes the navigation from home to the supercharger and starts to pre-condition the battery. If I type the address directly, it will work but not via "Home".

I called Tesla and support they recommended I rebut, but that has not fixed the issue. Asked if it may have been a software update, I advised the issues started 6 months ago just after the SC went live. They could not help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I live near a Newly installed Tesla Supercharger. The SC install, won't allow my car to navigate to "Home" in favorites. What happens is that the car automatically changes the navigation from home to the supercharger and starts to pre-condition the battery. If I type the address directly, it will work but not via "Home".

I called Tesla and support they recommended I rebut, but that has not fixed the issue. Asked if it may have been a software update, I advised the issues started 6 months ago just after the SC went live. They could not help!
Did you try setting a completely different address as home, navigate/reboot, make sure new address sticks. Then set your original address back to home? You can also try setting a pin (instead of address) as home as others suggested.

Upvote 0