Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation battery prediction doesn't factor in my driving habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wondered about this myself. For example, on I-15 from Southern California to Las Vegas, the speed limit is 70, but if I'm doing 80 I'll get passed regularly.

Nobody drives the speed limit on remote sections of interstate, and yet these remote sections are often the ones we need to be the most concerned about in terms of having enough range to make it to the next Supercharger.

I've wondered about this myself. For example, on I-15 from Southern California to Las Vegas, the speed limit is 70, but if I'm doing 80 I'll get passed regularly.

Nobody drives the speed limit on remote sections of interstate, and yet these remote sections are often the ones we need to be the most concerned about in terms of having enough range to make it to the next Supercharger.
Isn't the longest distance between superchargers Ranch Cucamonga to Barstow which is only 65 miles?
Plus a bunch of elevation but you'd have to driving crazy fast not to be able to make it.

Isn't the longest distance between superchargers Ranch Cucamonga to Barstow which is only 65 miles?
Plus a bunch of elevation but you'd have to driving crazy fast not to be able to make it.

I admit I haven't done it yet but my understanding is the nav (and abetterrouteplanner) only suggest stopping at Superchargers for the minimum amount necessary to either get you to the next SC or to your final destination. If there's a lot of high speed driving, hill climbing and A/C usage as there is on I-15, how much safety margin is there?

I admit I haven't done it yet but my understanding is the nav (and abetterrouteplanner) only suggest stopping at Superchargers for the minimum amount necessary to either get you to the next SC or to your final destination. If there's a lot of high speed driving, hill climbing and A/C usage as there is on I-15, how much safety margin is there?
A better route planner lets you modify the speed. Setting the speed to 100mph optimizes travel time. Here's the fastest I could get it to go between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. AWD, 200% reference speed, 100mph max. I don't think more superchargers on the route would make it any faster. Average moving speed is 92.5mph. The Tesla route planner tries to minimize stops more than minimizing travel time.
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 4.25.44 PM.png

The key to remember is you can always slow down and you should have no problem with getting stranded.