Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my model X and noticed this incorrect navigation instructions from the car. The nav wants me to head south on freeway 15 but that's in the opposite direction to my destination (I was heading to Oceanside from Rancho Bernardo, northbound). I know they didn't use Google navigation at that time since I turned on my phone and got the opposite instructions (15N). Any explanations for this ?

Attachments

• D785935E-D314-4A92-A9B8-7579DBAF2FFA.jpeg
    D785935E-D314-4A92-A9B8-7579DBAF2FFA.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 62
  • 1062F02F-62FD-45A0-A769-72962412B107.jpeg
    1062F02F-62FD-45A0-A769-72962412B107.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 47
  • E43504BF-24F1-4597-BA72-D7C7CA14EAA4.png
    E43504BF-24F1-4597-BA72-D7C7CA14EAA4.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
The software package that is completely free of bugs has yet to be written. The nav system told me the Gaithersburg superecharger was on the right when it was clearly on the left. They don't even know where there own superchargers are! Though I probably should report this to someone I just shrug this sort of thing off as a bug. And it's probably the same for you. But keep an eye on it. If it is consistently doing things like this then better take it in.

It doesn't look like it is sending you south to me. *confused*

Oh, never mind. I see. The direction marking on the exit is wrong in the close-up view. Somebody probably typed it wrong in the map data.

AFAIK, the main screen data comes from Google, and the routing data comes from Google unless it is routing you through a supercharger. I'm not sure what their data source is for the small screen data, though. Maybe TomTom.

Last edited:
The software package that is completely free of bugs has yet to be written. The nav system told me the Gaithersburg superecharger was on the right when it was clearly on the left. They don't even know where there own superchargers are! Though I probably should report this to someone I just shrug this sort of thing off as a bug. And it's probably the same for you. But keep an eye on it. If it is consistently doing things like this then better take it in.

I've seen some inconsistent locations of superchargers on my Model S but this one is weird, telling you to take a completely opposite direction.

As OP is new to the system I will mention that it sometimes does things that at first blush don't seem to make sense such as send me down the toll road when the interstate is free and faster. Upon careful examination it turned out that the interstate was blocked by some major accident.

I don't know about you guys but it bothers me that the nav is giving completely opposite direction. 15S instead of 15N is unacceptable. Location of building/charger is more of an map updating issue but this is deeper. I'll live with it but hope they'll fix it when they go through our posts.

It would be interestjing to see what happens if you follow the bad directions. Would the distance to next waypoint increase or decrease?
I mention this because the software in my Lexus will have me going round a loop forever at one spot in the middle of farm land in the Estrie (didn't we pass that barn a few minutes ago?). As for accepting it? I've driven quite a bit using computer driven navigation aids. I accept it.

I would if I had time that day but I couldn't logically follow the directions from the car's nav. I'm sure Tesla would want us to point these things out for them to improve on it. We can live with it until they improve their software. They're a new company so it's understandable but feedbacks are important for them.