Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was wondering if something similar has happened to other M3 drivers.

Today I used auto pilot and navigation to get to my first destination. But when I put in “Home” the navigation completely failed. Then the cruise control and auto pilot “were unavailable”. Pulled over and reset the screen. Didn’t help. Called Tesla while driving home. The person I talked to said my GPS was down. Also cameras and radar were not working. He suggested I power down when I got home, wait 3 minutes and power up. I did as he said, still didn’t work. So I called back. The second guy I talked to suggested I try rebooting the screen again. He said sometimes it takes two or three tries. On the second time it worked. All is okay now. I was never in an unsafe situation. However, it could have been life threatening if the system failed while I was driving in auto pilot. Anyone else have this issue?

I have had the AP computer flake out while using AP. I got a loud beep and full control (not just Autosteer, TACC too) was handed back to me immediately. I then noticed the road lines disappeared, I got an error that driver assistance not available or something similar. Could not re-engage TACC or AP.

Took several minutes, but the AP computer eventually recovered and was fine. It has been an ongoing issue in one of the latest software updates based on reports here.

If you are using AP properly, you will not be in danger during this situation, although you may lose the back up safety systems such as AEB and collision warnings. Always be vigilant, the software is in flux a lot due to updates, so these type of issues do happen.

Keep in mind that the Infotainment computer is completely separate from the Autopilot computer.

It sounds like the glitch/bug was in the infotainment computer. After the issue happened it said the AP was unavoidable (your car doesn't have standard cruise control as it all goes through the AP computer).

To me the system worked as intended where only the infotainment computer crashed.

Now you're probably worried about what would happen if the AP computer crashed, and that's a valid worry. The answer to that one is for the existing HW2.5 without much redundancy you have to pay attention to override any glitch that could happen. With FSD/HW3 there is a lot more redundancy with the computer.

So it's going to a very low probability event.

As to glitches with the infotainment computer? You can expect one or two a month if it's anything like my car. The biggest annoyance I've had lately is sometimes cell connectivity isn't restored properly when I come back into coverage. I was waiting to pull over somewhere to text someone, and it just kept saying there was no cell coverage. At some point i rebooted while in motion and it came back.

I have had the AP computer flake out while using AP. I got a loud beep and full control (not just Autosteer, TACC too) was handed back to me immediately. I then noticed the road lines disappeared, I got an error that driver assistance not available or something similar. Could not re-engage TACC or AP.

Took several minutes, but the AP computer eventually recovered and was fine. It has been an ongoing issue in one of the latest software updates based on reports here.

If you are using AP properly, you will not be in danger during this situation, although you may lose the back up safety systems such as AEB and collision warnings. Always be vigilant, the software is in flux a lot due to updates, so these type of issues do happen.

My AP and Cruise control were unavailable for me on this AM's commute. Forgot how reliant I have become!

I've heard that there's no real solution other than resetting a few times and giving the car a bit to sleep. As anyone else heard any other potential fixes? Feel kind of helpless.