Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Re-Routing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AKinDC

Apr 30, 2019
DC
M3, LR RWD.

When I use google maps for navigation, it'll re-route me where there's traffic and a better route.
In the Tesla, I can see the traffic on the screen, but it doesn't re-route.
Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere, or is the navigation in the Tesla simply not as effective as in Google maps on my phone?

Did you keep it at 15 minutes? I'm wondering if setting it lower could theoretically save you time sitting in traffic.
Good question. I leave it at 15 minutes on my long trips. Maybe setting lower will save more time. I don't know.
Interestingly, there is one town on SR 395 between here and San Diego where it more often reroutes me around the town. It's one of those towns with lots of stop lights and heavy traffic at mid day, so the car routes me around it for about 5 miles. It is not often I get a re-route, but does work pretty well when there is an alternate way to get around. Ideally, I'd like to see the nav tell me how long it will predict on the normal route, how long on the alternate route, and ding me to let me choose.
Clearly it isn't going to route me through a cow pasture on an interstate in the middle of nowhere if there is an accident. Hey that might be nice though..... get some fresh milk along the way :rolleyes:

As a diehard Wazer, I would love an option in the Navigate app to avoid highways/freeways. Especially considering that Goole owns Waze and Waze has it. But I haven't seen it on our Model 3 or the Model S that we're using while our M3 gets a new battery delivered and installed.

In fact, we run Waze and Tesla Navigate to most destinations for that reason. In metro Boston the highway is often not the most desirable or quickest route.

On a (much more) minor note, it would be nice to change the vehicle icon to an S, X, 3 or Y. Just esthetics, no functionality, and - again - a minor point from a non-programmer/non-techie.

Overall, the driving experience is so much more enjoyable than my Subaru SUV's.