Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation won't recognize addresses that Google map recognizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a Tesla and I have been very disappointed with the navigation, particularly as it's not feasible to use the phone nav while driving. I thought that Tesla uses Google maps, but there are addresses that Google maps readily recognizes, but Tesla nav does not. This is a big issue as we do a lot of carpools. Anyone have any suggestions?

Can confirm on iPhone you can use google maps, get your destination, and when you see “directions” scroll right to “Share” … from there select the Tesla App and it will push the location to the car before you roll out or during your trip.

Upvote 0
Just bought a Tesla and I have been very disappointed with the navigation, particularly as it's not feasible to use the phone nav while driving. I thought that Tesla uses Google maps, but there are addresses that Google maps readily recognizes, but Tesla nav does not. This is a big issue as we do a lot of carpools. Anyone have any suggestions?

The nav doesnt use google maps for navigation. It uses google only for the points of interest data, AFAIK. Someone will likely correct me if that is wrong, but thats what I remember.

It is "very" good in my area (exceptional, actually), but I have seen reports posted from others saying similar things about it not being accurate where they are. Not a ton, so its not an epidemic or something, but its definitely something that some people struggle with.

You can try sharing the destination as mentioned above (which I believe basically sends the longitude / latitude information to the nav system, not the actual route).

Some use the tesla browser on screen to browse to a website to use Waze. I dont do that so can not help with that workflow, but some do. I believe the website is called Teslawaze. Since navigation works very well for me, I have never been interested in trying to find any work arounds for myself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Plum Loco
Upvote 0
For longer trips I let Tesla route (get me to superchargers if needed) and have Waze on the phone, basic alerts (not directions) set to use audio via phone not Bluetooth (so I can hear about cops/road hazards) and occasionally look down if Waze is saying there’s some serious issue (traffic etc) with the route and I should choose an alternate.

I’ll check out that Teslawaze site though and see how that works. First time I’m hearing about that.

Upvote 0
I had this same issue yesterday and I have never had it before. The car refused to find my friend's address. I had to use google maps on my phone to route me, and it had no problem.

So after 3 years of ownership I wondering if the V11 update messed with navigation somehow?

I can share the address via PM if any other members want to verify the problem.

Upvote 0