Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s route mapping is based on Open StreetMaps. As I understand it, this allows the public to update mapping information via crowdsourcing.

My brother frequently submits map updates for Google. He proposed a lot of updates to the Google map around my neighborhood (such as POIs like names of parks, etc) once which ended up showing up on the Google maps in the car.

Does anyone have any success proposing changes to Open StreetMaps that ended up fixing a route mapping or FSD problem in the car? I have several routing issues near my house that I want to fix but one attempt to fix an issue hasn’t fixed the problem many months later.

Reactions: beachmiles
Tesla’s route mapping is based on Open StreetMaps. As I understand it, this allows the public to update mapping information via crowdsourcing.

My brother frequently submits map updates for Google. He proposed a lot of updates to the Google map around my neighborhood (such as POIs like names of parks, etc) once which ended up showing up on the Google maps in the car.

Does anyone have any success proposing changes to Open StreetMaps that ended up fixing a route mapping or FSD problem in the car? I have several routing issues near my house that I want to fix but one attempt to fix an issue hasn’t fixed the problem many months later.
Tesla seems to build its own Maps database and likely is an aggregation of data from multiple sources. Some have reported that it uses OSM mostly for parking lots. But no way to know for sure.

I have made changes to OSM in the past. You just make an account and you make the changes and then if approved they take effect. The changes I made (some inaccurate lane assignments) didn't seem to affect Tesla's database. So basically a waste of time but your milage may vary .

Last edited:
There used to be an email address you could use to report navigation errors to Tesla, possibly [email protected], but I don’t know if that works (or ever did). Keep in mind that Tesla only updates map/navigation data a couple of times a year, so even if Tesla picks up corrections reported to OSM, it might take a while to see them in the car.

When I received the car almost 2 years ago, there was a section of a short bridge where construction was active. Hence a temporary stop signs were placed on both directions. Then the construction was complete, yet the car always wanted to stop there as if there was a stop sign. Used to drive me nuts. 😁

I checked Google Maps and OpenStreet maps, but both didn't have this stop sign there, but I submitted the error to both regardless. Did that for almost a year on a monthly bases, and one day, the car started to behave correctly.

Not exactly sure how it got fixed, even to this date.

There is a 4-lane (2 each way) 35 MPH road near me. People drive in both lanes whether passing or not. I tend to prefer the left lane as I plan to turn left a mile down the road.

Forever FSD was happy in the left lane. Starting with the map update in September it insisted to be in the right lane immediately "to follow route " every time. It would stay there until 100 feet before my left turn at the light. If the lane change was not possible I missed the turn and continued straight. Very frustrating.

About 2 weeks ago that behavior corrected itself. Now it is again happy to stay in the left lane.

There is another light where it was redesigned about 8 months ago. What was formerly the only straight lane (of 3 - was left, straight, right) now had two - left and straight/right combined. The former straight lane has chevron markings and is not used at all. FSDb insists on using the chevron marked lane to go straight despite clear marking.

No map update has occurred since September. I do not know how lane choice is determined but I'm convinced it is primarily cloud based and not very accurate. We really need a means to submit corrections.

See my earlier thread on this. No - its not based on Open streetmaps. Its a combination of several maps - and Tesla does their own integration.

• Informative
Reactions: Todd Burch

No. I went through the process. Got a really nice thank you letter from Google. Nothing changed. Nothing.

See my earlier thread on this. No - its not based on Open streetmaps. Its a combination of several maps - and Tesla does their own integration.

I would certainly hope that Tesla is not importing data from OpenStreetMaps. While OSM is a great resource, there's little validation for edits that ANYONE can make. This would leave things open to abuse, like setting a 90 MPH speed limit in front a school zone, or changing a road completely.

I have made edits to OSM to set the surface types for roads in a neighboring county. It takes about 10 minutes from the time the edits are submitted to the time they are published to everyone.

This is NOT where you would want to source data for a self-driving car!

There used to be an email address you could use to report navigation errors to Tesla, possibly [email protected], but I don’t know if that works (or ever did). Keep in mind that Tesla only updates map/navigation data a couple of times a year, so even if Tesla picks up corrections reported to OSM, it might take a while to see them in the car.
Yeah, there was a fresh navigation download a few days ago which didn't have my fix, which prompted the question.

A multi-lane road I drive on regularly would not allow right turns (RHD country) into or out of most side streets due to the Tesla nav thinking there was an uncrossable median strip in the middle. (The actual road does not have a median strip and even has right-turn lanes into most side streets.

I checked OSM and Mapbox and they did not show a problem - I eventually identified TomTom as the potential culprit (TomTom showed the road with a median strip with no crossovers). I submitted a map error report to TomTom, and to their credit, they fixed it within days and sent me a thank-you.

That was several months ago and it hasn't filtered through to Tesla yet, despite a recent map database update. So I give up.

Yeah, I gave up trying to report problems with Tesla routing. When I drive from work to another place a few blocks away, it tries to make me do an illegal left turn. If I refuse to go down the road that would lead me to that illegal left turn, it tries to make me make a left turn and an illegal U-turn rather than turning right.

There's really not enough crack in the world to explain how bad Tesla's routes are for me. I wish they would just pick a single map/nav provider, push that provider to give them whatever route customization features they need (e.g. hooks for looking up supercharging stops along the route) and be done with it. This whole getting data from three or four different sources thing just means that if anybody is wrong, anything can be wrong. 😁

Yea, that didn't work. interesting they changed the bounce back to include -QA. I'm having an issue with No route found to this location on one of our Teslas when I'm in the housing area.
1702567463059.png

On a lighter note, I have used OSM to help update the capability of Summon. There is a thread about this somewhere but I was able to make the changes and the car must had received the updates. The test afterwards was flawless.

Oh and the email address for navigation issues actually did work.
I just received a note from Mr. Feng Wan indicating that my issue is a map data issue with NA-2023.44-14828.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Slightly off topic, but why wouldn't Tesla want to use its million cars with cameras to collect road information? They'd have to pay for all that cell data, and they'd have to do something to ensure that no garbage gets into their roads database, but I'm really surprised that they don't do this. They would bootstrap with the best road data they can find, and then refine it with information coming from cars.

What am I missing?

Slightly off topic, but why wouldn't Tesla want to use its million cars with cameras to collect road information? They'd have to pay for all that cell data, and they'd have to do something to ensure that no garbage gets into their roads database, but I'm really surprised that they don't do this. They would bootstrap with the best road data they can find, and then refine it with information coming from cars.

What am I missing?
I think they probably are doing this, to some extent. We just don't know to what extent yet.

Would be awesome for FSD to see a disagreement with map data, upload the disagreement, and see a fix to the map data in the next update. Tesla is probably headed in that direction at some point. Long ago, when Tesla started working on FSD, they gave a presentation where they showed how Teslas had gathered all this lane data. Not sure what they do with it nowadays, but they don't seem to be using it to actively make any corrections to the map data.

Now that stop signs are shown on the map, on my way home from work there's a stretch of semi-rural roadway that has no stop sign posted but shows a stop sign on the map. Interestingly, it (correctly) doesn't slow down there, and the other day once it passed that section the stop sign disappeared from the map. I'd never noticed that before.

On the other hand, I was driving through a stretch of neighborhood somewhere where there was a visible, posted stop sign that was not on the map. FSD recognized it and drew it on the console display...but the car just proceeded to start blowing through the intersection (good thing I intervened!)

My impression from that experience was that the logic is not "if there's a disagreement between vision and map data regarding presence of a stop sign, do the conservative thing and stop". The logic seems to be "if there's a disagreement between vision and map data regarding presence of a stop sign, gun it!"

Would be awesome for FSD to see a disagreement with map data, upload the disagreement, and see a fix to the map data in the next update.
Exactly. While I appreciate your optimism, it's pretty clear that Tesla is not doing anything like this. Folks have been talking about waiting for route fixes for years, even after reporting problems multiple times via FSD disengagements. I have my own to complain about. Tesla has a map database, and it gets updated with corrections from time to time from an unknown source. If I thought otherwise, I wouldn't have asked my question.

Exactly. While I appreciate your optimism, it's pretty clear that Tesla is not doing anything like this. Folks have been talking about waiting for route fixes for years, even after reporting problems multiple times via FSD disengagements. I have my own to complain about. Tesla has a map database, and it gets updated with corrections from time to time from an unknown source. If I thought otherwise, I wouldn't have asked my question.
I think they are occupied with getting FSD working well where map data is good as a priority. As they see light at the end of the tunnel there, they'll probably put more effort toward fixing map issues (and FSD will get less dependence on maps except for routing).

Reactions: JB47394
One work-around I suppose could work, a method of sharing from Apple Maps or Google Maps (etc) the actual turn by turn instructions from those apps to Tesla's software.. instead of just the destination

Apple Maps for example is always more accurate, and Google Maps can send nice EV-friendly (energy efficient routes, instead of time efficient).. when I'm not in a rush, I'd like routes that avoid highways.. or I'd like to choose scenic routes sometimes..

One work-around I suppose could work, a method of sharing from Apple Maps or Google Maps (etc) the actual turn by turn instructions from those apps to Tesla's software.. instead of just the destination
I wasn't concerned with the quality of routes so much as the accuracy of the map data itself. I have a section of road where Tesla believes the speed limit is 20 mph slower than posted. It's been that way for years. Whether Tesla relies on map data or vision to drive these cars on public roadways, they've gotta get the data right. I asked my question because I'm so surprised that Tesla isn't taking advantage of all these data collection vehicles people are driving around for them.

• Informative