Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am frustrated that the Google navigation system only presents one route to the selected destination. I live in Port Ludlow , wash and the shortest route to Seattle is via a ferry. Now that I have the Tesla I would prefer to take a longer route that goes via Tacoma but the navigation system will not give me this option. If I go to Google map on my PC it presents both options. How do I get around this problem

MS does not presently offer route selection, or provide a way to prioritize things like ferry crossings or interstates. Likely your best option is to revert to using your Smartphone until Tesla improves Nav. You may also want to try using Waze on the 17" display... i don't, but there are reports in other threads about this working for some owners. Good luck.

I used both the car Nav and my iPad Nav on a recent round trip between Fl and Chicago as well as for running around Chicago during my stay there. For the most part, the car Nav and iPad Nav gave out the usual accepted routes but differed on 2 occasions. Going through Atlanta, it directed me to a circuitous alternate route to avoid road construction areas. Although traffic on this route was flowing smoothly, the pace was unduly slow and probably did not save me time as hoped for. A similar event occurred in Chicago to avoid traffic congestion and the results left much to be desired. In both situations, the iPad Nav stuck to the usual routes.

I am frustrated that the Google navigation system only presents one route to the selected destination. I live in Port Ludlow , wash and the shortest route to Seattle is via a ferry. Now that I have the Tesla I would prefer to take a longer route that goes via Tacoma but the navigation system will not give me this option. If I go to Google map on my PC it presents both options. How do I get around this problem

The nav is not from Google; it simply overlays on the Google map on the large screen (the small dash map is not a Google map). This is (one reason) why the experience is different.

It's from Google. You can tell it by the way two navigation systems sometimes go out of sync. I had a wonderful situation just yesterday when Google map was telling me to go left and the dashboard map was telling me to go right.

They just need to add a third navigation system now to be complete.

It's from Google. You can tell it by the way two navigation systems sometimes go out of sync. I had a wonderful situation just yesterday when Google map was telling me to go left and the dashboard map was telling me to go right.

Weird...but doesn't prove you're getting a different nav info, does it? At least everything I've heard in the past here is that the nav is just overlaid on it (I think, rarely, someone reported the line doesn't actually match the road on the Google map). So what you experienced doesn't actually prove it's a Google *nav* - if that were the case, they'd probably frequently be different, as IME Google and anything else I check are frequently different. At least that's my take on it...

...but I don't work for Tesla.... ;-)

The nav routing is not from Google. Routes are calculated in-car using an embedded Navigon system. The resulting route is simply drawn on top of the large google map on the center display.

Photo of conflicting instructions or it didn't happen :)

I've seen times when the nav software and the Google maps software are out-of-sync - showing different routes. This typically means the Google map software has become confused - and may never recover.

Between this and continuing media playback problems - I am still having to reboot the car's software periodically. And after a reboot things seem to be OK - at least for a while.

If the nav maps are so bad - that they decided to use live Google maps for the console - a much better solution would have been to use the same maps and the same software on both displays - and not have the problems we are seeing with inconsistent maps and with the two software packages getting out of sync with each other.

waze on your phone