Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigator Trip Range Estimate Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trip range graph in navigation seems to work really great, but so far under pretty normal conditions. Going on a trip, though, that may involve snow, wind, cold, altitude change, etc that will affect range.
Question: When I set a destination, is the on-board range/power estimate "smart", i.e., does it calculate using data collected by Tesla, temperature and maybe other available weather data, altitude change, recent power consumption, etc.?
Similar to autopilot using the billion-plus miles of data to improve its performance?

I'm pretty sure it does not consider the effects of weather, beyond the last 30 miles. We stopped at a Supercharger after a dry drive (last 30 miles data) and it started raining heavily as we departed. The nav charge remaining at destination fell like a rock for the first 30 miles or so of the drive. We had to drive slower than usual to make the next Supercharger.

That said, it was the only poor estimate we had during the entire trip.

I hope Tesla has used the data of cars traveling between Superchargers to improve the estimates. Seems easy enough. But however the estimate is generated it works pretty well now, and better than our 2017 trips.

I find that the estimate is very very good even before driving at all. It seems to take into all the factors because even in freezing Temps it did good predictions. The only thing that I found it doesn't take into account is if the battery is cold to start. If you preheat for a while before you leave you should find the calculation very good if not conservative.
I just recently did a trip from Canada to South Carolina and not once did it under estimate, going through mountains, different winds, different Temps!