Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netzero App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had same false triggers for Vehicle Charging. Those at 3:01 and 3:02 were phantom charging triggers.

Anything I can do to help diagnose?

IMG_1919.jpeg

Just discovered this app and can't wait to try it out. I skimmed through the 7 pages of posts, so sorry if this was asked & answered earlier. Is there any integration or ability to upload "Green Button" data of my smart meter usage from my utility?

I'm still on the hunt for an app or service that will analyze my home's energy data. NetZero seems to be the most promising one I've seen yet.

Just discovered this app and can't wait to try it out. I skimmed through the 7 pages of posts, so sorry if this was asked & answered earlier. Is there any integration or ability to upload "Green Button" data of my smart meter usage from my utility?

Which data are you hoping to get from Green Button downloads? From my experience (PG&E), the only data available is 15-min resolution historical grid import/export, with a day delay. Tesla already has both live data and 5-min resolution historical data for grid import/export.

A related feature is coming in the next app version: aligning monthly data to a configured day of month, so you can track your utility billing cycle.

I have both a Tesla AND Enphase PV systems at my home. Is it possible to sign in to both?

Enphase login is meant for standalone Enphase systems. If you have your Tesla system tracking Enphase PV production, you'll get better data from Tesla. If you do have two independent systems then like @skepticcyclist said: you can't login with both. However the Netzero web app makes it easy to have another login (or even multiple logins with browser profiles).

Reactions: gmtom1
Which data are you hoping to get from Green Button downloads? From my experience (PG&E), the only data available is 15-min resolution historical grid import/export, with a day delay. Tesla already has both live data and 5-min resolution historical data for grid import/export.

A related feature is coming in the next app version: aligning monthly data to a configured day of month, so you can track your utility billing cycle.

Enphase login is meant for standalone Enphase systems. If you have your Tesla system tracking Enphase PV production, you'll get better data from Tesla. If you do have two independent systems then like @skepticcyclist said: you can't login with both. However the Netzero web app makes it easy to have another login (or even multiple logins with browser profiles).
Unfortunately, due to ridiculous utility regulations in my location, I have two separate systems. The tesla gateway cannot and does not measure production and data from my enphase PV system, only the PW and separate array of panels that are dedicated to it. Hence the request to use my utility green button data which is the net total of both systems.

NetZero looks great, but unfortunately, not for me due to the limitations that are admittedly specific to my situation.

Unfortunately, due to ridiculous utility regulations in my location, I have two separate systems. The tesla gateway cannot and does not measure production and data from my enphase PV system, only the PW and separate array of panels that are dedicated to it. Hence the request to use my utility green button data which is the net total of both systems.

NetZero looks great, but unfortunately, not for me due to the limitations that are admittedly specific to my situation.

That may very well be the case, but I always try to learn about such requirements because it allows me to improve the app in the future (and multiple systems is not an uncommon scenario).

You mentioned the Tesla gateway cannot measure your Enphase production, I'm curious why. With multiple systems you can install a separate solar CT (meter), which allows Tesla to add up all solar production. This is not just an accounting issue, but also allows the Powerwall to make better decisions on when to charge and discharge.

And while the utility data will give you accurate grid import/export data, it doesn't have visibility into solar production (or anything else behind the meter).

• Informative
Reactions: bemyax
That may very well be the case, but I always try to learn about such requirements because it allows me to improve the app in the future (and multiple systems is not an uncommon scenario).

You mentioned the Tesla gateway cannot measure your Enphase production, I'm curious why. With multiple systems you can install a separate solar CT (meter), which allows Tesla to add up all solar production. This is not just an accounting issue, but also allows the Powerwall to make better decisions on when to charge and discharge.

And while the utility data will give you accurate grid import/export data, it doesn't have visibility into solar production (or anything else behind the meter).
TL; DR: It was that way originally, but the technician came back out after a month and changed it because of the utility's tariff code.

My 5.25kW Enphase system was installed first in 2014 on my utility's NEM tariff and allowed to 100% feed the grid. When the time came to install my Tesla 2x PW & 3.5kW PV system in 2016, the NEM tariff was closed already, so my Tesla system is on a separate tariff (but still allowed to feed the grid). When the technicians installed the gateway, I asked them about having the CT in front of both systems, which they did. After about a month, the Tesla tech came back out and moved the CT "behind" the enphase system because my system was producing "too much" - the GW was registering higher PV production and feed to the grid than the system was registered for, so Tesla had to "fix" it (against my wishes).

I was going to have another electrician come back out to move the CTs back, but in the end, it wasn't worth the ~$150/200 for labor just to allow the app to see my entire system and also risk Tesla coming back out again and undoing the work. In the end, my utility bill still reflects my net production and I was able to adjust the electric rates in the Tesla app to optimize my time of use. My consumption vs. generation is still small positive most months, depending on how much I drive.

In the first few months after both systems were running, I was sufficiently motivated to put in the effort to reconcile the Enphase envoy site data, the Tesla app data and my utility bill, with a very manual process supported by Excel, to confirm my total system production was optimized. My utility finally installed an advanced smart meter two months ago and now I have detailed production and generation data at the meter level (hence the request to support green button data). The utility's site to view & analyze the smart meter production sucks though, so I'm now on the hunt for a better UI/UX, because I'm a data nerd and love to waste too much time looking at charts and graphs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: offandonagain
TL; DR: It was that way originally, but the technician came back out after a month and changed it because of the utility's tariff code.

That's quite a conundrum, thanks for sharing. I may add support for multiple accounts in the future, in the meantime I would suggest you look at something like Emporia Energy monitors to track the combined view.

Reactions: gmtom1
2. I'm aware of missing vehicle information for some users. I'm still investigating this, but it might be that Tesla doesn't include that information in the new Fleet API.

I spent some more time in the rabbit hole that is vehicle charging data, so this should be more reliable now in Netzero. Let me know if you still run into issues.

The rabbit hole is deep, even Tesla gets it wrong sometimes: in my case (wall connector present, Tesla car where I'm the driver but not the owner) the Tesla app does not show any charging information. Netzero does show it now.

May I know if there's a chance to the algorithm used by Tesla to calculate the PW degradation? If I remember correctly, it showed 1 % earlier in the year, now it's showing only 0.2%, magically it's been improved.

It's common that there will be some fluctuation in the measured capacity. Powerwalls constantly estimate their "full pack energy", but that's not a precise measurement -- it relies on measuring voltage/current and is sensitive to temperature, charge/discharge rates, etc. I won't pretend to know how Tesla does it, but if you want to learn more about this problem, the search keywords are "estimating state of energy in lithium-ion batteries".

To track degradation over time, you'll have to ignore short-term variation and look at a longer time horizon, probably years. Tesla warrants 30% degradation over 10 years, which means they expect the degradation to be substantially lower than that. I'll add historical capacity values to Netzero at some point, but it hasn't been a priority because of this same reason -- a lot more historical capacity data is needed before it becomes useful to observe trends.

It's common that there will be some fluctuation in the measured capacity. Powerwalls constantly estimate their "full pack energy", but that's not a precise measurement -- it relies on measuring voltage/current and is sensitive to temperature, charge/discharge rates, etc. I won't pretend to know how Tesla does it, but if you want to learn more about this problem, the search keywords are "estimating state of energy in lithium-ion batteries".

To track degradation over time, you'll have to ignore short-term variation and look at a longer time horizon, probably years. Tesla warrants 30% degradation over 10 years, which means they expect the degradation to be substantially lower than that. I'll add historical capacity values to Netzero at some point, but it hasn't been a priority because of this same reason -- a lot more historical capacity data is needed before it becomes useful to observe trends.
Thank you for your detailed explanations.

.A related feature is coming in the next app version: aligning monthly data to a configured day of month, so you can track your utility billing cycle.

This is a really cool feature. I compared my usage for last month since my billing period just ended, but the Grid net consumption numbers were off by about 10%. I then double checked and my billing period ran 3/14 to 4/14 (32 days). Can you add an option to either have number of days in billing cycle, or maybe a +/- xx days to help compensate. I’m not sure of the best way to deal with that.

Looking to my next bill it says it will close on or around 5/14. This is with Southern California Edison, so a pretty big utility provider in CA.

After I manually added the missing day my Grid consumption was off by only 2kw (less than a 1% margin of error, actually closer to .5%). I can live with that.

This is a really cool feature. I compared my usage for last month since my billing period just ended, but the Grid net consumption numbers were off by about 10%. I then double checked and my billing period ran 3/14 to 4/14 (32 days). Can you add an option to either have number of days in billing cycle, or maybe a +/- xx days to help compensate. I’m not sure of the best way to deal with that.

I'll think about that. The billing cycles for my utility (PG&E) range anywhere from 28 days to 33 days, without any clear pattern.

I'll think about that. The billing cycles for my utility (PG&E) range anywhere from 28 days to 33 days, without any clear pattern.
Thinking through this, an easy way to change the "Start Date" without having to go to settings, and then a + / - to adjust the end day for the Billing Month view. Aesthetically where to put this on the app, I'm not sure. :( Or worst case put the +/- in the setting page.

Yes, this is what I came here to find out. This would be great in the incentive program that I am in with the local utilities. They will only credit me for X amount.

You can now create automations based on Powerwall state of charge, e.g. turn Export Everything on/off when SoC crosses predefined thresholds. Would that allow you to make use of the incentive program?