Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nearing 50K miles. Buy extended warranty or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not mandatory with Tesla when you take the warranty.

Once you buy the warranty you do need to have annual service performed during the extended warranty period. However, you don't need to have the annual service performed during the manufacturer warranty period in order to be able to buy the extended warranty.

From the FAQ: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.

As @trmmcd said, they can and will drop coverage on the Extended Warranty if you don't perform the scheduled maintenance. It will not affect the New Car Warranty. It's one of the reasons I didn't purchase it during the 90-day new car period and will see how it goes over the next ~47k miles.

You drive 50,000 miles per year? I'm curious, is that part of your job? Or lots of travelling for pleasure?
Thanks,

well, both pleasure and work ;-) I live in suburbs of greater LA and have clients in greater LA.... so if I got to go to visit my clients I get to do 200-300 in a day. I like skiing so during winter time we have every weekend Mammoth Mountain trip ;-) it adds up. I think I even did more because I forgot to count around 10k on loaner Tesla while my car was at warranty service couple times.

Reactions: davidc18
As you see this is a pretty personal decision based on how you drive, how much you drive, and your risk tolerance. It is important to look at what type of exact problems you've had up to this point and what the replacement parts were as well. Key notes again are:

1. The ESA requires service every year to remain in effect for sure and have items covered. It then also has the per service visit $ also. This is even if you didn't do service before the ESA (you would need to start based on how it is worded).
2. Drivetrain and battery warranty are separate and already longer.
3. The ESA does NOT cover a LOT of items; especially problem areas like seals and wearable parts that most commonly need replaced.
4. Electronics typically last pretty well after used a while. Latches/mechanical items can break, so look at your use there and history again. For example, if you had your door latches replaced to newer ones not long ago they may last a while. They also aren't TOO expensive in replacement and labor to fix.

So the ESA is just an 'insurance" policy that requires that personal evaluation of need or not based on the above...

Reactions: davidc18 and Anzir
We’ve been mulling over this for a while now. One option were also considering is to just buy a new X. We got burned with AP2 cutoff so we’ve got a semi early X.

It had all the issues and then some with FWD and front latches. It’s been golden since but I am not generous enough to dish out 8K-10K for the FWDs. Lots of quality improvements since 2016 and it might be worth the upgrade so to speak, even without the tax credits/incentives.

Have y’all considered this option?

I got the warranty extension, half just for the Roadside Assistance since the X is our long road trip car. Other than the yellow border on the center screen problem I haven't seen anything that would lead to an expensive repair after 4 years.
Are you sure you got roadside assistance with it? I don't have a source to link to, but I vaguely recall reading a complaint from someone that they found out it didn't include that...
As @trmmcd said, they can and will drop coverage on the Extended Warranty if you don't perform the scheduled maintenance. It will not affect the New Car Warranty. It's one of the reasons I didn't purchase it during the 90-day new car period and will see how it goes over the next ~47k miles.
There is a big difference between an ESA and a warranty. The fact that the ESA isn't technically a warranty is really all that needed to be mentioned to counter@Bogobec.

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec