Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice buying new vs Inventory Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
So currently in the market for a new Sedan and since Tesla federal rebate will decrease end of the year, we are thinking about buying a Model S now and not wait till next yr.

Now I am looking at 100D inventory model which has 9000k miles on it vs 75D Brand New.
Since 100D inventory car is under $95k with EAP with exterior and interior color of my choice which would also be an upgrade if I were to order a brand new car.
The sales rep told me over the phones that inventory vehicles are as good as brand new with full warranty added to the present mileage on them.

I want to know what experience ppl have had with inventory cars? As these are loaner or test drive cars.
I've read horrible stories about CPO on this forum.

Tesla is only company to my knowledge that sells cars without the ability to see or test drives them for inventory and CPO cars.

So pls advice.

Thanks

Get it clear in email whether it's Inventory New or CPO. The former qualifies for the $7,500 federal rebate. The latter does not. I would get that in writing (email) too.

That said...

I've bought two Model S inventory (P85D, P100D) cars with 2000+ miles on them. Both were eligible for the $7,500 rebate. Very happy with both purchases.

Get it clear in email whether it's Inventory New or CPO. The former qualifies for the $7,500 federal rebate. The latter does not. I would get that in writing (email) too.

It's in Shop inventory section for new cars on their website. They also told me I would be first owner and eligible for the rebate as unlike other dealers who own vehicles they use as test drive or loaner, Tesla doesn't have to register or own their vehicles on paper which they use for test drive or use as loaner. I will make sure to get that in writing.

Question is which route would u guys recommend?
Has anyone bought a Tesla that was used as loaner or test drive car with 9k miles on it?

Thanks

I am in the process of purchasing an Inventory car, just like you.
I went back and forth on mileage car vs zero mileage car.
In the end, I went with zero mileage (50 miles) but did not get as big a discount as you are looking at.

Hi,
So currently in the market for a new Sedan and since Tesla federal rebate will decrease end of the year, we are thinking about buying a Model S now and not wait till next yr.

Now I am looking at 100D inventory model which has 9000k miles on it vs 75D Brand New.
Since 100D inventory car is under $95k with EAP with exterior and interior color of my choice which would also be an upgrade if I were to order a brand new car.
The sales rep told me over the phones that inventory vehicles are as good as brand new with full warranty added to the present mileage on them.

I want to know what experience ppl have had with inventory cars? As these are loaner or test drive cars.
I've read horrible stories about CPO on this forum.

Tesla is only company to my knowledge that sells cars without the ability to see or test drives them for inventory and CPO cars.

So pls advice.

Thanks

I congratulate you on your upcoming purchase. You are correct in doing your due diligence and I am optimistic that the outcome will be very happy for you.

Please remember that happy purchasers generally do not post their stories here and when they do they are soon forgotten. Stay on top of them and Tesla will do right by you.

All the best.

Has anyone bought a Tesla that was used as loaner or test drive car with 9k miles on it?

Yes, I bought my first Tesla, a P85+ as an Inventory car with 8k "loaner" miles on it, but sold as new, so it was eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit (it's not a 'rebate', it's a reduction of your tax liability).

The car was 'like new' when I got it and had no issues with it. Although that was 4 years ago, and the Inventory refurb program has certainly changed.

But all Inventory cars are still sold as new cars and eligible for the tax credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
I just picked up an inventory S, still being delivered. We saved close to 4K with basically less than 50 miles. I waiting patiently till the 28th for now.

Literally just put a deposit on an inventory S this morning. Wanted to get in on the free supercharging and full federal tax incentive, and this way, we will get the vehicle well before the current November new order delivery date.

Question is which route would u guys recommend?

I recently picked up an inventory S100D on 09/10 and Tesla said it was a test drive vehicle. My car came with paint chips/scratches/swirls which was expected since it had 2600 miles. The car drives great so far tho! But if I can go back in time I would have much rather paid for a new customized S100D since I really only saved about $5k, unfortunately my initial order was for a new S75D. If you don't mind waiting or paying a little more then I think you should wait. At least you'll know you're the only one driving your car and can easily identify new probs, etc.

Literally just put a deposit on an inventory S this morning. Wanted to get in on the free supercharging and full federal tax incentive, and this way, we will get the vehicle well before the current November new order delivery date.
How did you get the referral to apply to your deposit? I used the "order now" button on an inventory S today as well, but this path didn't allow the referral link. The rep on the phone said when they reach out to me for delivery I can apply it. Just wanted to check if there was a different way.

How did you get the referral to apply to your deposit? I used the "order now" button on an inventory S today as well, but this path didn't allow the referral link. The rep on the phone said when they reach out to me for delivery I can apply it. Just wanted to check if there was a different way.

I had my sales rep apply it on his end after I paid the deposit using the “buy” button online. The referral showed up on my account page right away (while he was still on the phone with me).

We just received a text that our delivery date is 9/29. Woohoo!

• Helpful
Reactions: Osubeaver

It's best to tell your Owner Advisor once you get a call from them. He asked me for the person's e-mail address.

• Helpful
Reactions: Osubeaver
if you can shoot for new do it. My wife and I bought our first one new and loved it (70D). Later we decided to go with CPO recently and we got a P85 for her. Problem is we went through 7 other cars with horrible horrible condition and we can’t test drive them other then ask for pictures. We finally found one in decent condition and went for it. Don’t get me wrong we love Tesla and would not buy any other sedan. If you can afford the new buy new or if you do buy used or CPO or partly used just tread carefully and ask for picutres and maintenance history. Also ask for a car fax. If you have questions about the process we went through and what we experienced just give me a chime and I’ll do my best to answer the gray areas and or questions you may have.

(Moderator note: Referral code solicitation deleted...referral codes may not be posted in messages or signatures, aside from the referral code thread and the member profile field designated as such.)

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
So we test drove the P100D which they had pulled out for us. Loved the car, my wife has always fancied a Range Rover, but after driving the Model S she didn't want to test drive the Velar or Range Rover Sport....lol...

We wanted the 100D in red, they only had an inventory one with 3k miles on it, which I couldn't see or drive. it was 175 miles away, Plus it didn't have the premium upgrade package that comes standard now on new 100Ds.

They sales consultant was extra nice, after talking for a while he suggested the red 100D in the showroom.
It had 150 miles on it, some small scuffs inside as tons of ppl had sat in it but nothing major that a detailing wouldn't be able to fix.
We were able to look at the car in detail didn't test drive as it had low mileage anyways.

Config:
100D
Red multi coat paint
Sunroof
19" silver wheels
Black Premium. carbon fiber décor, dark headlines (wanted beige interior but the exterior color was more imp).
Free lifetime supercharging, high amp charger
EAP, Premium Upgrade, Smart Air suspension

We paid the $2500 deposit, they locked up the car and put a sold sign in it :)
We are still doing number but we are saving around $7500. Price is $101,550.00.

Best part is we could see the car before buying which is extremely rare for an inventory car.
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
I signed up on this forum 2 days ago and have had a ton of ppl help me out.

P.S. To all the guys sending me PM referrel code, thank you :) but I already had one from a friend.

Reactions: bnsfengineer