Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice dealing with not-at-fault insurance claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance companies don't re-reimburse for lost wages as a result of an accident where a medical event was not present. I'll eat crow if you can find a policy that does.

As part of the grand calculation that is "your premium" (and everyone elses) there is careful time spent figuring out time-to-tow and time-at-shop. Simply ask the other insurance company to tow the car to the desired shop. Hiring a driver works too, but they won't pay for that, the tow truck is their driver. You can push harder on that than pushing for a make-up of wages.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
In my experience, if you were not injured, then lawyers will not be interested in representing you.

Insurance companies will do their best to deny or severely reduce DV claims. I've been through that process a few times.

If your insurance company or theirs does not cover something, there's always small claims court - something you can do yourself. Filing fees are minimal, however the time involved adds up quickly.

Being made whole is not as easy as it should be. All the best to you getting this resolved.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I was curious how this eventually turned out. I was considering a diminished value claim, as well.

I am also in Colorado Springs and just had my 2016 Model S pummeled by a freak hail storm. My insurance is still trying to figure out whether to repair it or salvage it, but the current estimate is $20-30k of repairs. And since the hail storm affected thousands of people, auto-body shops are slammed and are scheduling appointments several months out, not to mention whatever the repair time actually ends up being.

And to top it off, there aren't any rental cars available.

I was curious how this eventually turned out. I was considering a diminished value claim, as well.

I am also in Colorado Springs and just had my 2016 Model S pummeled by a freak hail storm. My insurance is still trying to figure out whether to repair it or salvage it, but the current estimate is $20-30k of repairs. And since the hail storm affected thousands of people, auto-body shops are slammed and are scheduling appointments several months out, not to mention whatever the repair time actually ends up being.

And to top it off, there aren't any rental cars available.
Sorry to hear your car got hit by the storm. We had a similar storm up by Golden last year. I know at least one Tesla owner's car was totalled by that one. I think he might've actually gotten it repaired after that, IIRC. He had a funny nickname for his car while he was driving it around with all the dents. One of our cars got a few dings in it a few weeks back but nothing like the damage I've seen from the Golden and Colorado Springs hail storms.

Reactions: Chaz
My goal is to move it below Nosecone but with the AP radar there, it doesn’t look like I have many options other than risking a ticket with the fact I have tinted windows and a flashy color, I am thinking can be an expensive decision.

Sorry to hear your car got hit by the storm. We had a similar storm up by Golden last year. I know at least one Tesla owner's car was totalled by that one. I think he might've actually gotten it repaired after that, IIRC. He had a funny nickname for his car while he was driving it around with all the dents. One of our cars got a few dings in it a few weeks back but nothing like the damage I've seen from the Golden and Colorado Springs hail storms.

A hail storm did 30k worth of damages wtf....what was the size of the rocks?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Chaz
All the comments about the other's person's policy are basically meaningless. You don't sue the other party's insurance company, you sue the person who caused the damaged who, in turn, tenders the claim to his or her or its (in the case of a business) insurance company.

The other party's insurance company will then defend the claim. If liability is clear and their insured is at fault, they will try and settle at an amount equal to the actual physical damages to your car. Without a lawyer, you have little chance of getting anything else. In your case you weren't in the car so there is no hope for medical and/or pain and suffering damages.

If you get a lawyer and choose to settle, a good lawyer can get you a bit more through negotiation, but most likely not the full extent of your damages.

The only way to TRY to get everything (DV, lost wages, etc) is to sue. However, in this particular case, any lawyer will tell you it's not economically feasible to sue because the your costs of suit will far exceed the damages you have incurred.

You can tender the claim to your own carrier, but that carries a risk of rate increase if they end up covering damages that they don't recover through subrogation. They will get you a rental car, however.

Unfortunately, it is likely that you will eat a portion of your losses.

Here are a few pics.... so sad... :(

IMG-3877.JPG
IMG-3873.JPG

Be VERY careful about any dents to the windshield aperture!! Not only for possible future air leaks and water intrusion, but because your windshield being securely attached to the aperture is part of the passenger's supplement restraint system (airbag).

In case of a collision, their airbag inflates and is held in place by the windshield to protect them. If your windshield pops free, then the passenger airbag will have no backstop and just flop out over the hood like the balloon it is and provide zero protection to your passenger.

Your windshield aperture is NOT an acceptable place for ANY fiberglass filler repair. Hopefully any Tesla-approved bodyshop will be very careful about this important safety consideration, but I'd look over their shoulder and verify.

Good luck with your repair (or replacement)

Thanks... I guess it is pretty common around here. It seems like the insurance company is going to total it. I should get the final word today or tomorrow.

Hey Chaz,

Sorry to hear about your car man. I was able to rush my car into the maintenance bay at work just prior to that exact same storm. I work over by PAFB. We didn't get hit too bad. I actually just purchased the hail protector pillow system for my car! $280

Anyways, to answer your original question on updates on this claim. I still don't have my car totally fixed! It's in for the bumper cover right now. Long story short...avoid Stuttgart at all costs!!! I thought Service King in Castle Rock was bad. Stuttgart will straight up lie to you. They had my bumper for 3 weeks and never called me. I had to call Tesla to figure out when it was delivered and they said 3 weeks ago. Called Stuttgart and they said they didn't know it was mine. Also they charged the offendees insurance company over $12000 for a new bumper cover and quarter panel. You've got to be kidding me!?

As far as the DV claim goes, I have to wait until the repairs are done and then get a couple trade in quotes with and without the accident on record. I send that to Philidelphia and they make an offer to me. If I take it, fine. If not, I call a DV attorney and let them handle it for a few hundred bucks. I'll probably just take the first offer at this point as I just want to put this nightmare behind me.

It sounds like your car is getting totalled so that's probably a good thing. If not Stuttgart would have replaced every single panel on the car. Trust me, I watched them doing this to a Model X that had hail damage. They told me that specific car was up to $35k in damage, FROM HAIL!!!

Also, Colorado doesn't have diminished value laws so you wouldn't be able to get anything from your insurance if you wanted. The only reason it might work for me is because the insurance company I'm dealing with is small and based in Philly.

-John

Hey Chaz,

Sorry to hear about your car man. I was able to rush my car into the maintenance bay at work just prior to that exact same storm. I work over by PAFB. We didn't get hit too bad. I actually just purchased the hail protector pillow system for my car! $280

Anyways, to answer your original question on updates on this claim. I still don't have my car totally fixed! It's in for the bumper cover right now. Long story short...avoid Stuttgart at all costs!!! I thought Service King in Castle Rock was bad. Stuttgart will straight up lie to you. They had my bumper for 3 weeks and never called me. I had to call Tesla to figure out when it was delivered and they said 3 weeks ago. Called Stuttgart and they said they didn't know it was mine. Also they charged the offendees insurance company over $12000 for a new bumper cover and quarter panel. You've got to be kidding me!?

As far as the DV claim goes, I have to wait until the repairs are done and then get a couple trade in quotes with and without the accident on record. I send that to Philidelphia and they make an offer to me. If I take it, fine. If not, I call a DV attorney and let them handle it for a few hundred bucks. I'll probably just take the first offer at this point as I just want to put this nightmare behind me.

It sounds like your car is getting totalled so that's probably a good thing. If not Stuttgart would have replaced every single panel on the car. Trust me, I watched them doing this to a Model X that had hail damage. They told me that specific car was up to $35k in damage, FROM HAIL!!!

Also, Colorado doesn't have diminished value laws so you wouldn't be able to get anything from your insurance if you wanted. The only reason it might work for me is because the insurance company I'm dealing with is small and based in Philly.

-John
Holy cow! Now I'm definitely glad my car is being totalled!

I tried to tow the vehicle to Service King in Castle Rock, but they said they were not taking any hail damaged vehicles at the moment and Stuttgart who was booking a year out.

I'm still waiting for the pay-off amount (for some reason, this is difficult to do) from Tesla Finance to determine what I'm going to do next. They said they cannot calculate the pay-off until they get the settlement amount from my insurance company and if there is an amount due back to me, that's when they'll let me know. Seems a little backwards to me.

Tesla....slow rolling you even when your car is bag of smashed a55 and you're ready to go buy again!

Yea, definitely a good thing that you're getting it totalled. I did the 20% payout increase rider with USAA just in case mine gets hit with hail. It was $60 every 6months. A good portion of hail damaged Teslas in Colorado are totals. If not for the hail damage itself, just for the rental car coverage while it's "in the shop." Make sure whatever the insurance is giving you that they take into account any additions. Autopilot, premium upgrades, even clear-bras are usually covered. Also, do some comparables from the Tesla CPO site and used car dealers. Don't let them screw ya.

Hoping to get my car back today! Fingers crossed.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Chaz
Tesla....slow rolling you even when your car is bag of smashed a55 and you're ready to go buy again!

Yea, definitely a good thing that you're getting it totalled. I did the 20% payout increase rider with USAA just in case mine gets hit with hail. It was $60 every 6months. A good portion of hail damaged Teslas in Colorado are totals. If not for the hail damage itself, just for the rental car coverage while it's "in the shop." Make sure whatever the insurance is giving you that they take into account any additions. Autopilot, premium upgrades, even clear-bras are usually covered. Also, do some comparables from the Tesla CPO site and used car dealers. Don't let them screw ya.

Good luck on getting your baby back!

Did you ever get your car back all put together?