Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other party is denying my claim. Can I still get DV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model X was hit back in March 2023 by a 26' U-haul truck. I was parked in the U-Haul parking lot, so my insurance determined the other driver to be 100% at fault obviously. It ended up being repaired for about $16k.

Initially, I went through the other guy's insurance (Mercury). They denied my claim saying that they don't provide coverage for that large of a vehicle (the moving truck).

I went through mine next (Progressive) and they covered the damages and will subrogate. They will not provide any DV though as they say it's excluded in the policy.

Where does this leave me as far as diminished value goes? I obviously took a decent hit in value. Can I still go after Mercury for DV, or is it a waste of time if they're denying the claim to begin with. Is there any point in going after the driver in small claims court or does that never work? Any other suggestions?

I'm in California, by the way. Thanks in advance!

they say it's excluded in the policy.

1. Have you asked them to show you that statement in your policy?
  2. Just because the other driver’s insurance company says their coverage does not apply does not mean their client is off the hook. They are in fact liable for your car’s damage and DV.
  3. If Progressive is able to collect on the damage from Mercury then they should also be able to collect on DV.
  4. If they are unable to collect, then you are paid under your uninsured motorist policy. If DV is actually excluded then you cannot collect for that portion.
  5. If need be, you can file a claim in Small Claims court (assuming nothing in California bars this) for the DV. You will need documentation of course.

Last edited:
You cannot file for DV from your own insurance company in CA. You would have to sue the at-fault party (which would then get Mercury involved) for DV.

edit: I am not a lawyer either, but have worked in the insurance industry for over 25 years.

Reactions: jjrandorin
In California you cannot claim Diminished Value (DV) against your own insurance company unless it is specifically written into the policy (I would imagine a high percentage of policies do not include DV). I went through a DV claim a few months ago. I was rear ended while stopped at a traffic signal and the at fault parties insurance (Nationwide) accepted responsibility. The damage was limited to the bumper cover and was less than $2,000.00 to repair. As we all know, the fact that the vehicle now has an accident on file is what lowers the value. Accidents with greater damage can increase the amount DV. The first thing I did was get a DV appraisal from tesladiminishedvalue.com for $350.00. I found that site through suggestions here on TMC. The report was completed in about one week. Once completed, I sent the report along with the included demand letter over to Nationwide. It was almost immediately rejected. I contacted the at fault party and informed them that their insurance company rejected the claim and my only recourse would be small claims court, unless they could get Nationwide to pay the DV. Nationwide contacted me and asked that I not contact their client. I told them essentially that they needed to indemnify their client or I would sue. They did not change their stance. It is to be noted that you can file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. However, my research suggested this would fruitless and a waste of time since they cannot legally make the insurance company pay the DV. Ultimately, I filed a small claims case within my county. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

A few things to note:

1. You can only sue the at fault party, and cannot sue the insurance company

2. The maximum amount for small claims court in California is $10,000.00 if you are suing an individual, and only $5,000.00 if you are suing a business. Anything higher and you will need to file a civil case which will increase court costs and may require an attorney.

3. The process for filing the claim was pretty easy using an automated program on the court's website.

4. Court cost was around $80.00 to file the case. I paid an additional $55.00 to have a process server actually serve the at fault party and another $45.00 to have the server file the proof of service with the court. I never had to leave my house. I filed the small claims case online and made a phone call to the process server company. It was much easier then I thought.

5. Court was simple. No lawyers allowed in small claims court in California. The at fault party stipulated to being at fault, so I didn't have to argue that portion. I brought the DV report, my email exchanges with nationwide and the at fault party, and screen shots of my phone records for the calls I made with them. The judge looked at the DV report and the at fault party argued that it should be less and also that I hadn't "realized" the DV because I didn't sell the vehicle. The judge stated the vehicle did not need to be sold for the DV to be realized.

6. The judge ultimately ruled in my favor and I was awarded the DV. The at fault parties insurance company called me a day or two later and wanted to confirm my address prior to mailing me my check.

Some things I learned:

1. Get the DV report soon after the accident. I waited a while and the value of my car lowered in that 9 month time frame. It was hard for the judge to identify what the value of my vehicle would have been worth at the time of the accident. Ultimately, I was happy with the judgment awarded, but it was a little less than what I filed my claim for.

2. You have 3 years from the date of the accident to file the small claims case.

3. Insurance companies will flat out lie and tell you that DV does not exist in your state and feed a bunch of other lies as well. Do not believe them.

4. Do not waste time going back and forth. Move from requesting the DV and them denying it to immediately filing the small claims case. I only spent about 3 weeks, but I wish I had done it sooner. Some people go back and forth for months (No thanks).

5. If the at fault parties insurance still does not pay after the judgment, then the at fault party will need to turn around and sue their own insurance to recoup their loss. Theoretically, it would be a simple case for them to win.

6. Civil jury instruction 3903J within California specifically outlines DV. In other words, clearly DV exists in California since there are literal instructions for a jury on the matter.

7. The judge did not include the $350.00 I paid for the report in his judgment, but did include the court fees.

I know this is lengthy, but I hope it helps someone out. Based on my research here on TMC and online there are a lot posts about DV, but not a clear explanation on filing one from start to finish. Obtaining the DV report was a $350.00 gamble, but in my case it was worth it. Good luck to all of you who took the time to read this!

*I am not a lawyer. I am passionate on this subject since I feel like insurance companies are more than happy to take money for premiums and then will fight tooth and nail to deny or minimize claims. I understand it is a "for profit" business, but I cannot stand them denying legitimate claims.

In California you cannot claim Diminished Value (DV) against your own insurance company unless it is specifically written into the policy (I would imagine a high percentage of policies do not include DV). I went through a DV claim a few months ago. I was rear ended while stopped at a traffic signal and the at fault parties insurance (Nationwide) accepted responsibility. The damage was limited to the bumper cover and was less than $2,000.00 to repair. As we all know, the fact that the vehicle now has an accident on file is what lowers the value. Accidents with greater damage can increase the amount DV. The first thing I did was get a DV appraisal from tesladiminishedvalue.com for $350.00. I found that site through suggestions here on TMC. The report was completed in about one week. Once completed, I sent the report along with the included demand letter over to Nationwide. It was almost immediately rejected. I contacted the at fault party and informed them that their insurance company rejected the claim and my only recourse would be small claims court, unless they could get Nationwide to pay the DV. Nationwide contacted me and asked that I not contact their client. I told them essentially that they needed to indemnify their client or I would sue. They did not change their stance. It is to be noted that you can file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. However, my research suggested this would fruitless and a waste of time since they cannot legally make the insurance company pay the DV. Ultimately, I filed a small claims case within my county. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

A few things to note:

2. The maximum amount for small claims court in California is $10,000.00 if you are suing an individual, and only $5,000.00 if you are suing a business. Anything higher and you will need to file a civil case which will increase court costs and may require an attorney.

3. The process for filing the claim was pretty easy using an automated program on the court's website.

4. Court cost was around $80.00 to file the case. I paid an additional $55.00 to have a process server actually serve the at fault party and another $45.00 to have the server file the proof of service with the court. I never had to leave my house. I filed the small claims case online and made a phone call to the process server company. It was much easier then I thought.

5. Court was simple. No lawyers allowed in small claims court in California. The at fault party stipulated to being at fault, so I didn't have to argue that portion. I brought the DV report, my email exchanges with nationwide and the at fault party, and screen shots of my phone records for the calls I made with them. The judge looked at the DV report and the at fault party argued that it should be less and also that I hadn't "realized" the DV because I didn't sell the vehicle. The judge stated the vehicle did not need to be sold for the DV to be realized.

6. The judge ultimately ruled in my favor and I was awarded the DV. The at fault parties insurance company called me a day or two later and wanted to confirm my address prior to mailing me my check.

Some things I learned:

1. Get the DV report soon after the accident. I waited a while and the value of my car lowered in that 9 month time frame. It was hard for the judge to identify what the value of my vehicle would have been worth at the time of the accident. Ultimately, I was happy with the judgment awarded, but it was a little less than what I filed my claim for.

2. You have 3 years from the date of the accident to file the small claims case.

3. Insurance companies will flat out lie and tell you that DV does not exist in your state and feed a bunch of other lies as well. Do not believe them.

4. Do not waste time going back and forth. Move from requesting the DV and them denying it to immediately filing the small claims case. I only spent about 3 weeks, but I wish I had done it sooner. Some people go back and forth for months (No thanks).

5. If the at fault parties insurance still does not pay after the judgment, then the at fault party will need to turn around and sue their own insurance to recoup their loss. Theoretically, it would be a simple case for them to win.

6. Civil jury instruction 3903J within California specifically outlines DV. In other words, clearly DV exists in California since there are literal instructions for a jury on the matter.

7. The judge did not include the $350.00 I paid for the report in his judgment, but did include the court fees.

I know this is lengthy, but I hope it helps someone out. Based on my research here on TMC and online there are a lot posts about DV, but not a clear explanation on filing one from start to finish. Obtaining the DV report was a $350.00 gamble, but in my case it was worth it. Good luck to all of you who took the time to read this!

*I am not a lawyer. I am passionate on this subject since I feel like insurance companies are more than happy to take money for premiums and then will fight tooth and nail to deny or minimize claims. I understand it is a "for profit" business, but I cannot stand them denying legitimate claims.
Thanks for sharing :) hope we don't need it.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD

A few things to note:

Some things I learned:

Who did you use to get the DV report?

You're lucky that the other person at least had insurance. This happened to us and the other driver didn't have insurance and had no way to cover anything (she side swiped ours and 2 other parked cars - one of which was a very nice Range Rover). Our insurance covered the repair but we lost quite a bit in DV. The car was going to be traded in a month before the accident for a new Tesla. Ended up selling the car to CarMax.