Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: long road trip in the cold, mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to drive my long range AWD 3 from Loveland CO to Creede CO and back, with a stop at the Poncha Springs supercharger. The middle segment round trip from the supercharger to Creede and back will be 114 miles each way - 228, plus a few miles driven in Creede with a mountain pass on the way, and single digit temperatures in Creede. How likely is it that the battery will make it? Any advice on ways to maximize range?

Ooooo, uhh, to me it doesn't look good at first glance. Is this just a one day trip or are you staying in Creede over night? Either way I would definitely suggest finding somewhere to plug-in in Creede. Also, go to plugshare.com, there is an RV park in Del Norte that has 14-50 outlets, you could call them about stopping there to use that to add some range.

don't over do it on the way up the mountain! enjoy the drive but watch your consumption. but I don't see any issue with your trip. and like CKOVAL7 said use a better route planner as suggested.

One thing to consider is the temperature of the battery like someone above posted. There will be a big difference when driving the 228 mile round trip between not stopping for more than 10 minutes and letting the car sit outside overnight.

I would check the RV park to make sure it’s open (and the power is on). Pretty much all of the RV parks up my way close for winter. We haven’t done a long trip in the single didgets. But we have seen over the last week here in AK (temps in the single didgets to ~30F) have seen <20% reduction in range according to the car given the same battery %. The factors (In my suspected order of effect): cold temps, ice/snow covered roads, winter tires, regn to low. I 2nd the recommendation to drive conservatively and plug into 110v if possible and overnight.

I will also the ~20% reduction in efficiency isn’t specific to the EV we typically see that similar reduction in MPG in our ICE vehicles.