Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice on 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear, I went for a new Raven S and FSD was NOT a reason why. I had Tesla remove FSD from the price. You can add FSD to a new or used Tesla.

I think if coming from a BMW, the pre-Raven ride is acceptable, coming from a Lexus flagship it's a much harsher ride. As much as I loved the 2018 S I test drove, the glaring deficiency was in the ride quality and the Model X was even worse. I don't have a problem with getting a used Tesla and agree it is still a phenomenal car. Each buyer will make the best decision for their situation, there's not a right or wrong answer, just what meets your needs. Any prospective buyer should explore all their options to get a clear picture of what they want/expect.

Thanks for the continuing outstanding advice! Great to hear from you father-to-1! This forum seems nearly as active as our Lexus LS forum, which is pretty tough to beat!

I have my eye on another Tesla that's a short drive away from me in Sioux Falls. It's a 2018 75D with 22k miles. Black on black (not my favorite, but it could look pretty sweet with blacked-out windows). AP1, nice shape. Prior rental, though, and bought at auction by the current seller. They've had it since September and are itching to make a deal before it heads back to auction. Asking $54,900 today, but I'd probably work hard to get it at $50k or less.

Here's a link: 2018 Used Tesla Model S For Sale Sioux Falls SD | VIN:5YJSA1E27JF248867

I did get lots of close-up photos of everything from the sales manager. It does have heated seats (so does that mean it has the sub-zero package?). I don't know if it has the upgraded stereo. It first went into service in April of 2018. It has the air suspension and AP1 (I believe).

Any thoughts on this one vs the blue 2016 90D?

Thanks again!

Ok so it definitely has AP2 which is good news for you. You can tell from the camera on the B pillar...dead giveaway.

Odd that they didn’t provide any pics of the main screen showing the various functions. You could ask them to show you the suspension setup, the music settings to see if it shows ‘Dolby’ which means you have enhanced sound package, and the heated seats screen so you can see if it has all 5 heated. Base package will still have heated front but not rear.

Seems to have the updated textile seats.
Does it come with sunroof option or glass?

If black is not your thing, you can always have it wrapped whatever colour you wish! 3M deep blue metallic is a 99% match to the Tesla blue from that 90D!

Okay so here is what I see:

1. This car has the MCU2 (2nd generation screen/system with a faster processor, more memory, etc...) You can tell this because Caraoke (in-car karaoke app - one of my favorite things) is present. This is a good thing and you will also have access to things like theater mode (Netflix, Youtube, streaming video from the web browser, etc..), better games, etc...

2. Seeing as it's MCU2, it also means it is definitively AP 2.5 hardware HOWEVER it appears that only basic AP is activated which is essentially autosteer and traffic aware adaptive cruise control. You would need to order the FSD upgrade (software unlock) from Tesla if you want the full capability but that may not be worth it to you (and you can do it at any point in the future).

3. The MCU screen border appears to be yellowing. This is a VERY common problem with most 2016 and later MCU screens due to an issue with how Tesla incorrectly cured the glue holding the glass to the touch layer. It is strictly a cosmetic issue and does not impede functionality of the screen. A Tesla service center will correct this using a UV treatment under warranty or there is a DIY solution (search the forum for screen yellowing).

Given it's so close in price, definitely the better deal.

So some fun facts about this 2018 you're looking at. These are Enterprise loaner cars that have reached end of life for enterprise and they send them out to auction. Enterprise literally has HUNDREDS of these clone cars sent out to auction every month, so they are all going to be the same black car (because black was the free option) you just gotta find one with the least amount of butt-wear. Even if you miss this deal, more are going to show up, it will feel like de-ja-vu to you.

These 75Ds are in the VERY BASIC trim level, meaning zero option boxes ticked. USUALLY this means that these cars would be basic as hell. Luckily for you, Tesla threw a wrench in their plan. Starting 2018 Tesla packaged pretty much EVERYTHING into the base trim. This is what you get in these 2018 75Ds:

Air Suspension, Glass Roof, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package, textile next gen seats. Yes these are all AP2.5 MCU2 vehicles. And yes I would recommend this car over the other one you looked at.

All of these were bundled into the base trim. You almost dont even have to check anymore, if you see its an enterprise loaner its all going to be with these options in black exterior black interior. ONE CAVEAT: THEY DO NOT HAVE AUTOPILOT ENABLED. Which means no lane keep assist, only basic cruise control. You will have to pay $3k to enable it, then another $7k for FSD. Starting 2019 Autopilot is included, with only FSD being the option you pay for

I own one of these bad boys. For reference, I paid $53k for mine late last year, but it seems others are having trouble replicating my deal. Let me know if you have any more quetions.

Oh yea to answer one of your questions, I don't mind the textile new gen seats. The seat bolsters are still in that "leather style" feel, only parts of the seat are textile and they actually feel great, doesn't feel like cheap cloth or anything, but if I had a chance I would have gotten leather seats though

Last edited:
Reactions: OTARon
That's some really good info, Heinz! One of the main reasons I'd make the switch from the Lexus LS to the Tesla Model S is for the nice LKA features in Auto-pilot, so knowing I'd have to spend another $3k to get that feature activated definitely plays into my decision. I'm leaning more and more to just getting the latest new version of this car at $80k.

These Teslas are so disruptive to the "normal" car market, aren't they! The are definitely more like computers or iPhones, in that they just keep getting cheaper and better every year, unlike other car brands, which get better but MORE EXPENSIVE each year. And like a new computer or iPhone, you will always be able to get a better deal in the future than you can right now, but if you always delay your purchase, you never actually get to experience the goodness today! Tesla is clever to simply take all the optional features and lump them in as Standard on the new models to keep the price relatively stable, but the prices will inevitably fall and the features will inevitably improve, so there's really no sense in waiting around to make the leap...

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the Tesla Model 3 my wife and I are test driving tonight! It's a Long Range version with 320 miles of range and a 0-60 time of 4.4, which feels incredible on the on-ramps (which everyone here already knows). At $50k, I think this car is a pretty good bargain! I'm still more of a fan of the Model S, and will likely wait a bit to buy a brand new one, rather than fool around with a 2016-2018 model.

Thanks again to everyone for the terrific info and advice! This is a wonderful forum, and I hope to become a contributing member soon! Rick

Reactions: cookie99
That's some really good info, Heinz! One of the main reasons I'd make the switch from the Lexus LS to the Tesla Model S is for the nice LKA features in Auto-pilot, so knowing I'd have to spend another $3k to get that feature activated definitely plays into my decision. I'm leaning more and more to just getting the latest new version of this car at $80k.

These Teslas are so disruptive to the "normal" car market, aren't they! The are definitely more like computers or iPhones, in that they just keep getting cheaper and better every year, unlike other car brands, which get better but MORE EXPENSIVE each year. And like a new computer or iPhone, you will always be able to get a better deal in the future than you can right now, but if you always delay your purchase, you never actually get to experience the goodness today! Tesla is clever to simply take all the optional features and lump them in as Standard on the new models to keep the price relatively stable, but the prices will inevitably fall and the features will inevitably improve, so there's really no sense in waiting around to make the leap...

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the Tesla Model 3 my wife and I are test driving tonight! It's a Long Range version with 320 miles of range and a 0-60 time of 4.4, which feels incredible on the on-ramps (which everyone here already knows). At $50k, I think this car is a pretty good bargain! I'm still more of a fan of the Model S, and will likely wait a bit to buy a brand new one, rather than fool around with a 2016-2018 model.

Thanks again to everyone for the terrific info and advice! This is a wonderful forum, and I hope to become a contributing member soon! Rick
Di you see my post earlier or did it get lost in the confusion? Check your private messages?

So some fun facts about this 2018 you're looking at. These are Enterprise loaner cars that have reached end of life for enterprise and they send them out to auction. Enterprise literally has HUNDREDS of these clone cars sent out to auction every month, so they are all going to be the same black car (because black was the free option) you just gotta find one with the least amount of butt-wear. Even if you miss this deal, more are going to show up, it will feel like de-ja-vu to you.

These 75Ds are in the VERY BASIC trim level, meaning zero option boxes ticked. USUALLY this means that these cars would be basic as hell. Luckily for you, Tesla threw a wrench in their plan. Starting 2018 Tesla packaged pretty much EVERYTHING into the base trim. This is what you get in these 2018 75Ds:

Air Suspension, Glass Roof, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package, textile next gen seats. Yes these are all AP2.5 MCU2 vehicles. And yes I would recommend this car over the other one you looked at.

All of these were bundled into the base trim. You almost dont even have to check anymore, if you see its an enterprise loaner its all going to be with these options in black exterior black interior. ONE CAVEAT: THEY DO NOT HAVE AUTOPILOT ENABLED. Which means no lane keep assist, only basic cruise control. You will have to pay $3k to enable it, then another $7k for FSD. Starting 2019 Autopilot is included, with only FSD being the option you pay for

I own one of these bad boys. For reference, I paid $53k for mine late last year, but it seems others are having trouble replicating my deal. Let me know if you have any more quetions.

Oh yea to answer one of your questions, I don't mind the textile new gen seats. The seat bolsters are still in that "leather style" feel, only parts of the seat are textile and they actually feel great, doesn't feel like cheap cloth or anything, but if I had a chance I would have gotten leather seats though

You seem pretty certain that this Tesla is one of the Enterprise loaners... I'm not entirely positive that your list of upgrades is right, though. From the photo the dealer took of the autopilot screen, it seems to me that it does have the basic autopilot already enabled. I could be wrong, though. And I haven't seen evidence of the sub-zero package or premium audio, but would love it if this car came with it. Can you confirm from this photo? I think someone else might have bought this car and only kept it a short time (a second owner). Perhaps they had went ahead and paid for the basic autopilot upgrade? Thanks!

Attachments

• Resized_20200228_163814.jpeg
    Resized_20200228_163814.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 80
You seem pretty certain that this Tesla is one of the Enterprise loaners... I'm not entirely positive that your list of upgrades is right, though. From the photo the dealer took of the autopilot screen, it seems to me that it does have the basic autopilot already enabled. I could be wrong, though. And I haven't seen evidence of the sub-zero package or premium audio, but would love it if this car came with it. Can you confirm from this photo? I think someone else might have bought this car and only kept it a short time (a second owner). Perhaps they had went ahead and paid for the basic autopilot upgrade? Thanks!

Any tesla owner can look at your screen and see that Basic autopilot is not enabled on this car. On the autopilot page you are missing AUTOSTEER BETA which is a blue check box you have to enable or disable for lane keep assist. It is usually the FIRST option on this page, I don't see it on the page, so yes i am 100% sure of everything i said.

thumb_695790_listing_big.jpeg

and then if you have FULL SELF DRIVING package, you would get an additional option called NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT which is automatic lane change and freeway switching

DrKkA6hX4AAArmE.jpg

as for the options Im telling you about, id like to know why you think i am not right? do you see anything that proves it otherwise? a 2018 model has those options as BASE TRIM, and this is a fact. so if you don't believe that your car has those options, your car is a frankenstein model that somehow has base features removed lol. which i guess anything is possible...

Last edited:
Heinz: I'm definitely not trying to question your Tesla knowledge! You definitely seem to know your stuff, and I'm so appreciative of your advice as I come up to speed on the Model S! Thanks for confirming everything regarding the former Enterprise Loaners. Now that you've explained that, I do see a LOT of identical Black 2018 Model S's on AutoTrader that I'm sure came from the same place. Most of the cars range in price from $55-60k, and all have roughly the same number of miles... I can see that these cars do offer a pretty good value, as long as I can find one that is still fairly pristine in the interior.

Thanks again for all the great advice! Rick

Heinz: I'm definitely not trying to question your Tesla knowledge! You definitely seem to know your stuff, and I'm so appreciative of your advice as I come up to speed on the Model S! Thanks for confirming everything regarding the former Enterprise Loaners. Now that you've explained that, I do see a LOT of identical Black 2018 Model S's on AutoTrader that I'm sure came from the same place. Most of the cars range in price from $55-60k, and all have roughly the same number of miles... I can see that these cars do offer a pretty good value, as long as I can find one that is still fairly pristine in the interior.

the only red mark on the car is that the carfax will ofcourse read "Previous Rental" which may lower its value if you try to resell in the future?

Hi everyone,

sorry to hijack the post here. Been on the same boat and was looking for an AP2 Model S. It seems like for the same price you can get a new Model 3 Standard Range plus + FSD option or a used 2016 Model S AP2(although i only found one private seller, dealer price seems to be 10K more). As this will be the only vehicle at home I would prefer something bigger than a Model 3.(Also Model S has cheaper insurance than Model 3, probably because its pre owned)

Now being in Canada means limited selection, but I am aiming for a deal before Fall this year so I probably can wait around more and see how everything goes(Model Y deliveries start and possibly some updates to new Model S which should lower the demand/price for used cars?)

2016 Tesla Model S 75D - Woodbridge

What options were selectable at the time of purchase? It seems the option lists expand and shrink year to year.

This is what I found after some searching. Other 2016 AP2 Model S with FSD package seems to go for CAD 70K-75K(through non TESLA dealers).

Do all cars pre-2017 have transferable free supercharging? This owner didn't list it as an option so I believe it doesn't have it?

I also saw a video on youtube about charging speed limit after certain supercharging sessions, looking at the mileage for this car I would assume that the charging speed would be limited to 80KW.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Sorry it looks like I am unable to edit previous posts, just want to add some information for American friends(most people here on the forum). All prices mentioned below are in CAD.
brand new Model 3 SR+, with 1300 color option, FSD(9200) goes for 66490+tax(13%)-5000(federal rebate)=70133.7. You can think of this as equivalent to 62K before tax.
Used Model S should had around 12K rebates applied to it at the time of purchase. But I'm not sure what the MSRP was when new, anyone knows if I can get any information from the VIN number?
Other factors to consider of course includes cost after the warranty ends(in a few months). What would the cost be for keeping the car at least 3-5 years?

Looking forward to any comments/feedback/suggestions.

Is there really no way to edit previous posts?
I overlooked the mileage on that car, it is already out of warranty(80000km/4 years).
Also I would assume the EMMC on the MCU 1 would go bad sometime in the predictable future(If it hasn't been replaced)?

Is there really no way to edit previous posts?
I overlooked the mileage on that car, it is already out of warranty(80000km/4 years).
Also I would assume the EMMC on the MCU 1 would go bad sometime in the predictable future(If it hasn't been replaced)?

I believe once your post count is higher you can edit but there is a time limit on it (e.g. you can only edit within the first 10 minutes of posting).

Unless I'm mistaken, the cold-weather/subzero packages are only available with the leather seats. Front heated seats and heated mirrors have always been standard though.

Someone should check this actually. My 2015 did NOT have cold weather package so it only had front heated seats and heated mirrors which are standard like you said.

My enterprise loaner 2018 now has heated seats on ALL 5 SEATS + heated steering wheel + heated mirrors so I made the assumption that this is cold weather package, but now that I think of it I do not have heated front glass, which means Tesla might has de-coupled the steering wheel and 5 seat warmer from the cold weather, meaning I may have missing things from a real cold weather package ?