TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need advice on installing the BlackVue DR750S-2Ch rear camera

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BlueBird, May 25, 2018.

1. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

I am about to install the rear camera and would like to know if anyone attached the camera to the plastic siding instead of the rear window. If yes, are you happy with the decision and is it holding fine on this surface. I am a little concerned of sticking the camera on the wire heater pellicle (potentially damaging the pellicle if/when removing the camera). I may also be purchasing a Rear Liftgate Sunshade and was wondering if the image quality of the camera installed on the plastic siding is greatly affected by the Sunshade.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Why would you not put it directly on the glass? That's what I plan to do with the rear camera when I install my 900, and I'm pretty sure what most people do. You're right that putting it on the wire is a bad idea.

3. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

I followed the norm and had my rear camera attached to the window. Only real issue I have experienced is that the tint on the Model X rear window darkens the picture for the rear camera making for poor quality. Not sure there is a fix for that since the tint is in the glass. Would be great to capture the picture from the vehicles rear camera, it provides a much better view.

• Informative x 1
  4. arcus

arcus Active Member

Have you tried to adjust the brightness of the feed for the rear camera to compensate for it?

5. Kurt'sX

Kurt'sX Member

Interesting......I did not know that such an adjustment exists, but will pull out by owners manual and look into it. Thanks!!

6. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

I attached my rear camera to the plastic trim rather than the window and it has held on fine for three years.

I did that due to a) the defrost wires and b)visibility (you can't see the camera while driving) and c) I didn't want to stick it to the tint layer on the rear window. I have since removed and reapplied my front camera and using dental floss to cut the adhesive, it was not a problem to remove the camera from a tinted window.

• Like x 1
  7. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I will follow your advice and attach the camera to the plastic trim.