Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Need advice on installing the BlackVue DR750S-2Ch rear camera

I am about to install the rear camera and would like to know if anyone attached the camera to the plastic siding instead of the rear window. If yes, are you happy with the decision and is it holding fine on this surface. I am a little concerned of sticking the camera on the wire heater pellicle (potentially damaging the pellicle if/when removing the camera). I may also be purchasing a Rear Liftgate Sunshade and was wondering if the image quality of the camera installed on the plastic siding is greatly affected by the Sunshade.

I followed the norm and had my rear camera attached to the window. Only real issue I have experienced is that the tint on the Model X rear window darkens the picture for the rear camera making for poor quality. Not sure there is a fix for that since the tint is in the glass. Would be great to capture the picture from the vehicles rear camera, it provides a much better view.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP

arcus

Aug 11, 2017
Denton, TX
Only real issue I have experienced is that the tint on the Model X rear window darkens the picture for the rear camera making for poor quality. Not sure there is a fix for that since the tint is in the glass. Would be great to capture the picture from the vehicles rear camera, it provides a much better view.
Have you tried to adjust the brightness of the feed for the rear camera to compensate for it?

jdw

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
I attached my rear camera to the plastic trim rather than the window and it has held on fine for three years.

I did that due to a) the defrost wires and b)visibility (you can't see the camera while driving) and c) I didn't want to stick it to the tint layer on the rear window. I have since removed and reapplied my front camera and using dental floss to cut the adhesive, it was not a problem to remove the camera from a tinted window.

Reactions: swgdan
I attached my rear camera to the plastic trim rather than the window and it has held on fine for three years.

I did that due to a) the defrost wires and b)visibility (you can't see the camera while driving) and c) I didn't want to stick it to the tint layer on the rear window. I have since removed and reapplied my front camera and using dental floss to cut the adhesive, it was not a problem to remove the camera from a tinted window.

Many thanks for sharing your experience. I will follow your advice and attach the camera to the plastic trim.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC