Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: UI/Screen keeps crashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I took delivery of my car 2 days ago and in the last two days, my software has crashed/rebooted over 30 times (times that I've actually kept a count). I've updated the software and tried a factory reset but it still keeps happening.

I'd be on the highway doing 70 mph and the screen goes black - now I've lost my speedometer and the turn signal sounds (and God know what other safety features). It's happened with EAD on, without, when i get in the car, when i park, just sitting, driving slow, driving fast - basically everything you can think of.

I've got a service appointment but I'm really thinking about just returning this car and getting a new one (I have 3 day return period so technically tomorrow's my last day). The idea of a new car being back in service on day 2 is just a tad bit ridiculous.

Any advice/suggestions?

Reactions: 1 person
My car was delivered late Dec2018 and had been having very similar problems. We booked the service apt., which was 2 weeks out and when we went there they kept the car for couple of days and said there is nothing wrong with the car and the resets are common. However, asked us to log the issues by doing "bug reports" (press and hold the right scroll button and say "bug report ..." ). We did many of those so far. And then I also took some videos and photos and sent all of those to the customer support in email. And kept sending more videos/photos everyday I encountered the problem (which is almost everyday, 3-4 times a day).
After almost a week from my original email and after multiple emails with photos/videos, suddenly I get an email from someone at Tesla that they've looked at my logs and found a FW glitch and engineers are working on a fix and will remotely upload the FW fix, no need for service apt. Hopefully they'll figure out the solution soon and update my car FW remotely. Fingers crossed :)

So, I suggest you also start doing the "bug reports" and send email with photos/videos to customer support. Hopefully they'll figure out the problem and find a solution.

Wow, Rohitchopra, sorry for the horrible first impression experience. That sucks! Mine froze 6 times in the first 4 days but hasn't since (although I've stopped listening to slack since then).
Id guess that fixing the mcu freezes is simple and will be fixed easily by Tesla with a replacement RAM or motherboard or graphics card. Sure they might need to order the part but I wouldn't worry about the rest of the car because the GUI goes black. If your digital dashboard display, speedometer or clock/radio in an ice car went black would you feel the need to return the car? The Model 3 display seems like it's the car brains but it's just a display.
Good luck either way. You'll love your car once the display issue is resolved!

Mine has started becoming glitchy recently as well. Sometimes it happened when changing songs in Spotify, from the USB drive or when changing FM radio stations - suddenly a loud humming sound comes from the speakers and the screen goes black and reboots after a moment.

Yesterday after getting into the car at the train station car park I got a warning sign that the emergency response button (mandatory in Europe) gave an error and I should make a service appointment. I ignored the warning for the moment and drove to the shopping center (only two miles away). I got into the car after having been to the shops and the back up camera stayed black, no image at all. The warning about the emergency response button was still there. Did a manual reboot and the back up camera image was back, plus the abovementioned warning had miraculously disappeared.

This morning when I got into the car, the screen went black right when I was about to back up out of the garage. It didn't auto-reboot, just stayed black. I did a manual reboot and everything appeared to be normal again after that. The car is parked at the station right now so I will see what happens this afternoon when I get back.

I already have a service appointment next tuesday for all the things that they still need to fix that were present at delivery (no earlier service appointment was available), so I will have them check those latest bugs/issues as well.
I know we are still kind of beta testers, but it is annoying nonetheless.