Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Advise for Charging Setup for my Model 3 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently waiting on my Model LR AWD configured on 06/28/2016. No VIN assigned yet.
I would like to get started on process for getting my garage ready for charging the Model 3.

I live in a 3 level single family house with an unfinished basement. The 200 amps main panel is located in the basement on the other end of the house from the garage.

Below are the options I am thinking of

1. Install NEMA 14-50 : Ths will allow me to charge Model 3 upto a max of 32A. This can be done by Installing a 40A breaker in the main panel and running approximately 50ft of #6/3 Romex wire to the 14-50 outlet in garage.

2. Wall Connector Install : Will need to wire for at least 60 Amps so that I can charge the model 3 at a max of 48 Amps. I am not sure if this will require a separate sub-panel to be installed or if it can be wired to 60Amps breaker in the main panel.

I input all the existing electrical appliances information on this website and the load was calculated as
  • Watts:26,063
  • Amps:108.59
What do you suggest Option 1 or 2?
Will going with Option 2 require a sub-panel or can I install a 60 Amp breaker in the main panel?

In almost all cases Option 1 will be more than adequate. In home use almost everyone has a vehicle sitting overnight for at least ten hours, usually more, and most people rarely drive more than 100 miles in a day, so a full charge is very rarely needed anyway. if you go with the 48 amp net you'll have a full change in 5-6 hours, more than you'll probably ever need.

I have a 208/23 source for my P85D. In four years I have never once needed more than 4-5 hours of charging. I typically use 90% as maximum charge if I am about to make a long trip, and a minimum of 20%. On a handful of cases I have had to charge from 20% to 90% overnight. Normally I charge to 60%, which handily works for daily driving of 50-60 miles.
Unless you expect to very often set off on a 200 mile trip after returning from a similar trip late the night before you'll never have practical need for anything more than your 14-50.

Of course more is better and only too much is enough!

if you're a trifle obsessed with convenience you can get a Tesla HPWC to use with any power level you have, so that you'll have no need for an adapter. I did that, but it's really a waste fo money unless you have a serious need for convenience. I just wanted it to be very simple for my SO.

I am currently waiting on my Model LR AWD configured on 06/28/2016. No VIN assigned yet.
I would like to get started on process for getting my garage ready for charging the Model 3.

I live in a 3 level single family house with an unfinished basement. The 200 amps main panel is located in the basement on the other end of the house from the garage.

Below are the options I am thinking of

1. Install NEMA 14-50 : Ths will allow me to charge Model 3 upto a max of 32A. This can be done by Installing a 40A breaker in the main panel and running approximately 50ft of #6/3 Romex wire to the 14-50 outlet in garage.

2. Wall Connector Install : Will need to wire for at least 60 Amps so that I can charge the model 3 at a max of 48 Amps. I am not sure if this will require a separate sub-panel to be installed or if it can be wired to 60Amps breaker in the main panel.

I input all the existing electrical appliances information on this website and the load was calculated as
  • Watts:26,063
  • Amps:108.59
What do you suggest Option 1 or 2?
Will going with Option 2 require a sub-panel or can I install a 60 Amp breaker in the main panel?
6/3 Romex is rated for 55A so if you use that for the wall connector then you will set your max charge rate to 44A, if you must have 48A then wire wall connector with 4/3 Romex with 70A rating allowing you to pull up to 56A continuously easily meeting your 48A max charge rate, if you are wiring the wall connector though you will only need 4/2 as no neutral is needed.

I wired my wall connector to a 60A sub panel and decided to use 6 gauge Romex on a 50a breaker and set the charger to 32A so as not to stress out the sub panel wire, I originally thought the sub was 90A and was planning a 48A charge rate is why I even bought the wall connector, I never have a problem charging even when returning from a road trip with 6% I still can charge overnight to 90% no problem.

My advice is to run the 6/3 to 14-50 and put it on a 50A breaker, you will still only get 32A charging but the 14-50 will be available for up to the designed 40A max continuous load if ever desired for any other appliance use (say a gen one mobile?).

Breaker size will not matter if you come off the main or a sub.

Install NEMA 14-50 : Ths will allow me to charge Model 3 upto a max of 32A. This can be done by Installing a 40A breaker in the main panel and running approximately 50ft of #6/3 Romex wire to the 14-50 outlet in garage.

If you choose to install NEMA 14-50, I suggest you install it with a 50A breaker and accordingly-sized wires. Even though the UMC v2 is limited to 32A, you may want to plug a 40A EVSE (such as the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector) another equipment into this socket in the future. The exemption that allows 40A breaker is really meant for semi-fixed installations of electric ranges.

I'm having 4awg run to a 14-50 outlet. That way if I want a a tesla wall connector later the wires will be there and I can hook it up myself.

This is my favorite approach since the cost of 4 over 6awg isn't that much.
I am thinking the same too, install 14-50 with 4awg so that it will help if I decide to go with Tesla wall charger. Did you use 60a breaker?

I got the same NEMA 14-50, 4awg wire and HPWC pigtail 40amp setup. I talked to few different electricians, they said might not trip the 50amp breaker even it pushes to 48amp since they tests theae breaker should trip until 55amp and my 14-50 plug right next to the panel. They all saying NOT RECOMMENDED even it won’t trip the break.