Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need buying Advice/Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla members,

I'm dying to get a Tesla so badly. Been wanting one for a long time! I was first thinking about leasing the Model 3 but the price is ridiculously high. Now i'm thinking about buying since I know I'll keep it for at least 3-4 years. But the price is extremely high as well. Any tips on how I can get a cheaper price? I'm located in CA. I'm thinking about putting $14K down. But with everything I want it still ends up being over $55K. Does the rang between 240 and 310 make a huge difference as to charging it? In a day I roughly go about 35 miles a day. So that's about charging it every 4-5 days? Can someone help put me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I went with the SR+ in Blue. I am leasing because its my first 100% EV and wanted to be sure I will like it before committing.. We have a plug in hybrid as well.

I am trading in a 2010 Honda and put down $2500. My payments are going to be $333 a month.

I'm dying to get a Tesla so badly. Been wanting one for a long time! I was first thinking about leasing the Model 3 but the price is ridiculously high. Now i'm thinking about buying since I know I'll keep it for at least 3-4 years. But the price is extremely high as well. Any tips on how I can get a cheaper price? I'm located in CA. I'm thinking about putting $14K down. But with everything I want it still ends up being over $55K. Does the rang between 240 and 310 make a huge difference as to charging it? In a day I roughly go about 35 miles a day. So that's about charging it every 4-5 days? Can someone help put me in the right direction?

Thanks!
For around town and occasional trips the SR+ is a bargain. If you take frequent long trips of over 350 miles then the long range shines. But if you only take such Tripp’s a few times a year then save the money. Also RWD works fine unless you get a lot of snow.

I'm amazed at how often people forget or ignore the fact that in addition to the extended range from SR+ to LR (any trim) also give you the premium interior. the $ difference isn't only for a longer range. how are you coming up to 55K? What configuration are you calculating?

Reactions: lax1mxb
I'm amazed at how often people forget or ignore the fact that in addition to the extended range from SR+ to LR (any trim) also give you the premium interior. the $ difference isn't only for a longer range. how are you coming up to 55K? What configuration are you calculating?
the Premium interior isn't that different, at least not enough to justify the price imho

Reactions: SaddleSC
No option for LR RWD for me when I look, so its $10k

Attachments

• tesla.PNG
    tesla.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 63

OK, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

First of all, you want to be plugging the car in at home essentially every night. It's one of the great advantages of having a Tesla. Is there a reason you can't do that?

You're in California. If you're renting and you have a private parking space (anything but street parking) your landlord is required to let you install a home charger, and IMO it is worth the expense. If your landlord is forward thinking you may even convince him or her that the landlord should pay for it (as an amenity to future renters), or split the cost.

The range is really, genuinely, for RANGE. For your daily drive, you want the shortest range -- you have no need for long range. You only get the longer range if you plan to make road trips.

The difference between the 240 range car and the 310 range car is $10,000. You can install home charging for far, far less than that. You can even install home charging multiple times, at your current apartment and at your next apartment and at the one after that, for much less than that.

So I STRONGLY recommend budgeting for the shorter-range car and for home charging. (Unless you really like the "Premium Interior" features, of course.)

You should also consider getting a used Model S on the secondary market, which you may be able to get more cheaply than a new Model 3 at this point. There will be more maintenance costs, but it may be a net savings.

Reactions: Jazz3D

The difference between the 240 range car and the 310 range car is $10,000.

Neroden, your're comparing SR+ to a LR AWD.

The difference between the SR+ 240 miles range and LR RWD 325 miles range is $5000 with Autopilot and Premium interior. Its no brainer, just call your local rep to order since its "off menu" and not on Tesla's website.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! I have a mall that is close to me which I can go and charge the car once or twice a week if need to be. Not sure how much it will cost or if the cost would be less than a tank of gas on my current car. I haven't talked to the HOA of my building regarding this. I know one other person who is going to the mall to charge their car.

As for the range, it does make sense. I would LOVE a Model S but getting it in a secondary market I feel a bit weird. Just because it's been used already and not sure about the warranty and battery life etc.. If anything, I maybe getting the car end of the year or in Jan.

One another thing I been hearing is that the autopilot that comes with the car is enough, rather than shelling out an extra 6K...?

First of all, you want to be plugging the car in at home essentially every night. It's one of the great advantages of having a Tesla. Is there a reason you can't do that?

You're in California. If you're renting and you have a private parking space (anything but street parking) your landlord is required to let you install a home charger, and IMO it is worth the expense. If your landlord is forward thinking you may even convince him or her that the landlord should pay for it (as an amenity to future renters), or split the cost.

The range is really, genuinely, for RANGE. For your daily drive, you want the shortest range -- you have no need for long range. You only get the longer range if you plan to make road trips.

The difference between the 240 range car and the 310 range car is $10,000. You can install home charging for far, far less than that. You can even install home charging multiple times, at your current apartment and at your next apartment and at the one after that, for much less than that.

So I STRONGLY recommend budgeting for the shorter-range car and for home charging. (Unless you really like the "Premium Interior" features, of course.)

You should also consider getting a used Model S on the secondary market, which you may be able to get more cheaply than a new Model 3 at this point. There will be more maintenance costs, but it may be a net savings.

the Premium interior isn't that different, at least not enough to justify the price imho

Agreed and many of the differences are merely software limitations that can be "cured" when Tesla rolls out the premium connectivity package in the coming months. For something like $100 a year, Satellite Maps, Streaming Music, Live Traffic and the web browser will be available (fingers crossed), Other than that, I had no need for the heated rear seats and the sound system in the SR+ is adequate. I will most likely be adding a sub in the future, but, because I don't need the additional range, I couldn't justify nearly $10K for a sub and some software updates.

To the OP, if you only drive 35 miles a day, the SR+ would be a fantastic choice. I have taken mine on some longer day trips and plan to do a very long road trip in the near future with no worries. Just carefully plan your stops using ABRP.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Wow thank you guys so much for replying. So let me tell you what just happened... back in March I got a Mercedes CLA250 lease. As soon as I got the car had a check engine light and it was in the shop for over a month and a half. I contacts Mercedes and complained I didn’t want the car and I would like to return it. Today I just got a call back saying they agree to repurchase the car! Which is insane! Now I’m looking to get a Tesla.

I really like @neroden’s idea of getting a Model S maybe 2yrs back for the same price of a Model 3. But I need more info and not sure where to start...

I’m not sure. Can you shed some light! The Model S hands down is the best Tesla. Price wise if I can’t find a good deal I won’t get it. Model 3 looks very basic and doesn’t seem it has anything but a big giant 15 inch screen and a steering wheel. I’m torn between them..thoughts?