Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need creative charging ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm in a unique position in which I'll be taking delivery of a model X in December and I'm moving to a new house (renting) about 3 months after.

I don't necessarily want to install a supercharger at my current place as I'm moving so shortly after but I drive 150 miles per day and will need to charge daily. Asking the homeowner if it's ok and spending the money etc just to leave thereafter doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's my only option.

My Tesla OA suggested maybe I see if a neighbor has a tesla and garage that they would let me share for a few months and I chip in on electricity or something.

Otherwise I'll have to supercharger daily which may be a PITA.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Why not ask the homeowner about sharing the cost of a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage? Depending upon the panel configuration and distance from your car's intended location, it might only end up being a few hundred dollars each. You get the convenience of charging at home for a few months and the homeowner gets the benefit of a more desirable rental, considering the increased proliferation of electric vehicles. Maybe even a 1/3, 2/3 split would be fair, since you're leaving so soon?

Reactions: Falkirk
Why not ask the homeowner about sharing the cost of a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage? Depending upon the panel configuration and distance from your car's intended location, it might only end up being a few hundred dollars each. You get the convenience of charging at home for a few months and the homeowner gets the benefit of a more desirable rental, considering the increased proliferation of electric vehicles. Maybe even a 1/3, 2/3 split would be fair, since you're leaving so soon?

That may be the only logical way to do it, but knowing her she will want me to pay for the whole thing which just seems like a waste.

That may be the only logical way to do it, but knowing her she will want me to pay for the whole thing which just seems like a waste.

You could point out that a NEMA 14-50 is useful for a variety of tools that a renter might want to use in the garage, too, which broadens the rental appeal. Ultimately, though, as you observe, if she digs her heels in and refuses to help pay to a capital improvement to her own property, you don't really have much leverage.

Maybe point out that she could pay for the entire installation and then raise the rental fee of the house by $25 per month because the garage is "Electric vehicle ready." You'll end up paying only $75 more before you leave and she'll make her money back, and much more, over the near-term life of the house.

You will need access to Level 2 charging for at least 5-6 hours per day. If there is a public J1772 charger near work where you can charge, then that would work, but you'll need to get reliable daily access. 150 miles per day is too much to miss a day of charging and maintain a margin for all conditions (rainy and cold days use more electricity than rated). Otherwise I think you'll need to have a NEMA 14-50 installed.

Note that you do not need a Tesla charger installed in the rental house, the NEMA 14-50 will be sufficient and the cheapest option for L2 charging.

Dryer Buddy would be a good temporary solution. Quick 220 could work too but I don't think you'd want to use that regularly and it would be a lot slower than a 30 amp dryer outlet.

Another option would be to delay delivery until you move or keep your current car for a few more months.

There is a dryer in a room adjacent to the garage, that may do the trick! I would have to share the plug so I don't lose my ability to use the dryer so that splitter should work.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You're self-employed and can afford a Tesla. Time is money and time is leisure.
It's possible that getting a basic 240V set-up could be a few hundred dollars on a NEMA 14-50..
Rather than mess around with alternatives, why not go ahead and at least see how much it would cost? If it's done, there's another house ready for BEV owners.

Reactions: mblakele
You're self-employed and can afford a Tesla. Time is money and time is leisure.
It's possible that getting a basic 240V set-up could be a few hundred dollars on a NEMA 14-50..
Rather than mess around with alternatives, why not go ahead and at least see how much it would cost? If it's done, there's another house ready for BEV owners.

I'm considering that too, I mainly want alternatives in case the homeowner tells me that she doesn't want me to install one. She's very old school and may not understand it or be okay with it.

I'll look into the cost and run the idea by her!

For 3 months, I like the extension cord idea. Just make sure you buy the correct wire gauge for a constant 30 amps of current from the dryer outlet, and make sure you don't run anything else on that circuit when you are charging the car (no splitter). Short term problem solved, no need to worry about the landlord, and best of all no need to wait to drive your Tesla! :)