Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for Tesla Advertising / PR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8Bn people in the world. A successful campaign would yield 800,000 orders (just 0.01% of population). There are plenty that meet the following requirements:
  1. uneducated on EVs and
  2. who can some how find the money one way or another
These are additional to:
  1. Existing owners reordering
  2. Those that are saving or now able to purchase
  3. Those that find out about Tesla from neighbours, colleagues, Twitter etc.
  4. Further price reductions

Gary thinks the initial set of users in US have already bought their EVs. He thinks some informercials need to be run to educate other users who are open to actually buying EVs but have some reservations. That is the next big chunk who can become Tesla customers. Then there are the laggards who will only buy once the market share of EVs among new cars has breached 50%.

To get those people who are open but have reservations ... you have to educate them. Cutting prices (alone) won't help.

Instead of cutting prices by $2,000 - TSLA can try cutting $1,800 and use the other $200 on marketing.

Gary thinks the initial set of users in US have already bought their EVs. He thinks some informercials need to be run to educate other users who are open to actually buying EVs but have some reservations. That is the next big chunk who can become Tesla customers. Then there are the laggards who will only buy once the market share of EVs among new cars has breached 50%.

To get those people who are open but have reservations ... you have to educate them. Cutting prices (alone) won't help.

Instead of cutting prices by $2,000 - TSLA can try cutting $1,800 and use the other $200 on marketing.

I think you're thinking of this classic product adoption curve.

Early adopters.png

I think Tesla has already cleared the innovators and is reaching the last of the early adopters. Anything that Tesla learned from pricing adjustments and repeat buying behaviors is based on these two groups. The early adopters may be price-sensitive and can be driven to take the leap just based on price.

Tesla has struggled with attracting the early majority because their concerns are with something else, or they may just be comfortable with the status quo. Price cuts even down to 0% margin may still not convince them to buy.

To tackle the next group, Tesla needs something else.

Below is another variation of the product adoption curve. The larger point is the same: each group of adopters has different characteristics and behaviors, and needs to be targeted and communicated differently to induce new product adoption.

AdoptionCurve.jpg

Notice the question by the Pragmatists: "Why should I start using this technology?"

This is where educational marketing should come in.

I see a quite big change in tone on every MSM happening pretty soon

Not because Tesla is advertising, but they said they will give it a try, and you can be sure they won't on those places who drag Tesla name in the mud, and the ones that dragged the most over all those years might be screwed already since Elon don't take kindly to lies being spread for years

MSM isn't dumb, it likes money, and deep down they know who will be the brand selling a ton of vehicles and having a bank vault fatter than Uncle Scrooge

The effect that just the mention that they will try it will make Tesla start to be painted positively in most places

This is one of the reasons I claimed that Tesla's announcement regarding advertising is worth $50 for TSLA and bought more shares at the beginning of yesterday. I was holding some cash in anticipation of a disastrous Q2 earnings report but had to spend it down on the off chance that the $50 value is quickly realized in the next 2 months lol

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
This seems like a smart and inexpensive way for Tesla to do an incentive. Seems like a great deal to the buyer, but I bet most people save less than a couple hundred bucks from free supercharging for 3 months.

One nice thing about the free Supercharging offer is it's an incentive to go on a road trip using the Superchargers... And that means the new owners can now preach to others about how seamless and easy road trips are with them. Battle against that insidious FUD with more real life experiences, word of mouth advertising.

I am seeing a lot of JLR (jag Land Rover) ads on Twitter. I assume that most folk aren't getting these and the algorithm is getting pretty good.

I can think of worse places to put Tesla ads given that it would help Elon's finances.

UK/Tesla/Advertising

I just did a Google search (Opera, Android phone) for "uk ev share"

First link is sponsored to tesla.com

Below the link, hyperlinked title and 3 line description it has two further links for "Available Inventory" and "Test Drive a Tesla"

Clicking the advert info, Advertisier is verified as Tesla, US.

Available inventory takes me to a page with inventory and an information section saying "10,000 km Free Supercharging... Long Range RWD, Long Range AWD or Performance Model 3 in June 2023 to qualify". Terms and conditions link:- June 8-30th 2023. Delivery MUST happen before June 30, 2023. Can't cancel existing order & reorder. Can't transfer order to another person. Free Supercharging for original buyer only, disappears if sell car.

Model 3 RWD is £38,790 instead of £42,990 (struck through). Details:- New vehicle, free white paint.

I then repeated the search on Chrome (PC) and got.

View attachment 950674

So advertising with google

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline and navguy12
FWIW, since I have been vocal anti-broadcast advertising and pro-placements. These are typical of the things I agree with. Unfortunately the word 'advertising' applies to both very precise and excellent tactics and generic TV ads that are focussed towards nobody. This stuff works, especially because on Google advertisers can select the precise audience that will receive them. Precision is highly valuable so long as it can be accurate. Both are easy to accomplish with both Google and Amazon. Both are not inexpensive, but are worthwhile so long as the advertiser has the technical ability to target accurately. Tesla does.