Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for Tesla Advertising / PR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week-end Tesla had a booth at the local electric car show here in Quebec with S, 3, X and Y showroom models through a partnership that has been going on for some time with Club Tesla Quebec, the official booth tenant. I was part of the staff along with fabulous Tesla sales and techs representatives, sharing my experience to visitors as a Model Y owner (all were blown away by the ability of talking to an owner rather than a seller). Most visitors came to the show to make a purchasing decision. Saw a few signing up for a Tesla on the spot.

One thing that struck me is that several visitors checked out the Tesla booth just as a matter of curiosity after just putting a deposit on a particular model of some other brand. They did not even consider Tesla since "they don't have any models available below a hundred grand", and they assumed waitlist was just as bad as anyone else. Having no waitlist was a shocker to most - one couple I talked to really wanted that Kia EV6 GT but it is a three year wait! "we could be dead by the time we get it" they told me. Three or four people I talked to were like wtf and went straight to ordering a Tesla right after they put a deposit elsewhere.

It's quite amazing how many people have no idea they can actually afford a Tesla and not die of old age before they can get one.

Rob delves into survey results which really point to needing to advertise. It's surprising to me how unknowledgeable most people are about EVs in general and Tesla specifically. Clearly, we here on TMC are a small minority.

I know Farzed earlier pointed to this survey as evidence that price cuts were more important than advertising to sell more cars. But I side with Rob on this topic. It seems obvious to me some informational advertising would go a long way to opening up the market to many more potential buyers. I hope the folks at Tesla (and Elon in particular) watch this.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Regardless of the general public's knowledge of EVs, Tesla is selling every car they can produce. Advertising in such a scenario will lead to longer waits for the car and people complaining about it.

Once Tesla gets production to the point that they have significantly more cars coming off the line than they have buyers, then, you will see Tesla ads. Not before.

The problem is that education takes time, people have thick heads, specially with something so political like EVs

Rob’s point is that from that survey, Tesla isn’t that far away from being demand limited if the public isn’t educated and results from pools like that change drastically

Maybe once it’s a problem Tesla will do the most awesome advertising campaign, but that seems like it could be under way for quite a while

The problem with advertising EVs/Tesla is that it's very difficult to tell a person X when we are all desensitized from the typical marketing BS. Tesla needs to show, not tell. This is why word of mouth IMO remains the correct way to advertise. The person needs to feel what an EV drivetrain feels like, needs to see how FSD works, and gets a run down of the Tesla ecosystem in the car. They also need to hear how this person haven't ran into many issues with the drivetrain, was never left stranded, and any service done by Tesla was quick and easy.

Yes, Tesla may be running out of people who are all Elon fanatics who live and breath all his companies. However I feel like we ran out of those people awhile back. Tesla is dumping hundreds of thousands of new cars on the road and now with a pretty competent FSDb, it has pretty decent organic demand via word of mouth.

You know what companies are lacking in organic demand? All the EVs purchased by people who just wanted something different or hates Elon. All sales of the Etron/Mach-E/Taycan/ID4 are going down. Some people hates their decision and are hoping that their car gets totaled so they can go back to gas. Their word of mouth is not strong when the purchase was based on being different or hating on someone who has a different political view.

I vehemently disagree. We know Tesla adjusts prices to clear inventory. If demand increases then the prices and thus the margins will also increase. The only reason to not advertise would be to try to keep the stock price as low as possible.

This may be why the crowd cheered wildly when Elon said they would try advertising. The stock had recently gotten hammered due to low margins.

Yes, but... Tesla is selling every car thanks to reducing prices every time they feel they need to. What if there's a huge, untapped demographic willing to pay more, but are just ignorant. What if the cost to effective "advertise" was $500 per vehicle rather than a $500 price-drop?

I say this as an ad-sceptic...

Perhaps there's scope for both and allow a wider range of prices, keep the base models low, up the premium a bit, win/win

In other news, Norway deliveries picked up this week and they're almost ALL Model Y, very few M3's in the mix, which strongly implies inventory got depleted pending Highland arrival

View attachment 976181

or, more likely, to make available more affordable cars, as secretly stated in Tesla’s Masterplan part 2 from 2016 already?

Simplistic statements and superficial reasoning do not help evaluate sales and promotion strategy. Discussions of ‘advertising’ rarely consider all the subtleties of effective promotional strategy. Bluntly, Tesla uses the ‘holy grail of promotion’, Word of Mouth, in a 21st century manner through social media, customer referrals and highly effective promotion of NACS and Supercharger access that reach most of the entire BEV markets in NA and EU at negative cost. Can any other OEM do that? The list of such techniques grows.

Fundamentally conventional wide media advertising is ONLY effective when promoting universally used product classes, such as soap, personal care and generic food P&G, Nestle etc are obvious ones. For less universal ones the use of advertising reduces margins. Uninformed and self-serving people (advertising agencies and corporate beneficiaries) often use the infamous pair of metrics, ‘cost per reach’ and ‘unaided recall’ as proof of effectiveness. Frankly, statistics can be used to make these logical. Those are exacerbated by the auto dealers, whose attention span is limited to learning how to game OEM policies and close individual deals.

Tesla awareness is high, as is FUD from all those whose interests are harmed by the Tesla distribution system. All of us need to learn that the Tesla distribution system is vastly more efficient than is indirect sales. Similarly, we all need to understand that a frightening collateral effect of direct sakes is transparency in pricing. Nobody here blinks an eye when Mercedes-Benz or BMW gives dealer incentives and/or consumer rebates, subvened leases and loans, but scream loudly when Tesla reduces prices or gives referral perks . Both have similar effects on resale values, but superficial examination shows nothing for the others, but direct clarity fir Tesla.

Those who are frustrated and fearful about these things need to understand the fundamentals:
-Tesla cost per sale is a far below any dealer distribution model. Precise comparisons are difficult because apples to apples comparisons cannot be made due to accounting convention treatments. As a general rule the dealer model costs between 20 and 30 percent of retail sales, depending on country (that includes sales, F&I, warranty profit, service profit.). The equivalent for Tesla is around 15%.
FWIW, these generalizations are extracted from a comprehensive direct/indirect comparison made by my firm fir a major OEM that rued unsuccessfully to establish direct sakes for a new brand.

In short, nobody arguing for “advertising” to increase profitability or sales seems to understand 21st century marketing. More specifically, 21st century promotion including AÍ aided targeting. In this world nobody cares if non-prospects even recognize the name. In this world BEV adoption is similar to that of telephones, refrigerators, household electricity, cellular phones, automobiles , commercial airplane travel and all those other revolutionary products.

Just think about this. Model Y as the best selling car model in the world. Tesla still is barely scratching the surface of geographic markets, much less storage products. Adopting old-fashioned advertising is a horrible mistake! Tesla is humoring the enthusiasts who don’t understand, but they’ll not make stupid moves.
Everyone knows that soap is better than no soap. As Rob said, you have 80% that don't know EVs are better or equivalent to ICE. Tesla need to educate as the biggest in the market.

Moving from main thread.

Changing people's views of ICE addicts would be like trying to change someone's religion, getting them off crack, or changing their football team... good luck. "Where's the vroom-vroom sound" is quite a common issue for many. They will find a reason to hang on to their past ways. That is conservative by definition. They are not the pioneers.

The UPS driver story I shared a couple years back was real. The driver heard all the negatives, but could not comprehend why there were so many people buying Tesla's. That person was at least open to challenging status quo. He was listening and likely made the conversion by now.

But preaching logic to most is a waste of time if they're not ready to LISTEN. Most are addicted to oil; nothing will sway their views. Nothing short of complete collapse of oil. Those who do not join the EV transition will likely go broke saving their ICE vehicles and may never be in the market, until such time as the gas station down the street closes at $10 a gallon, and realize robotaxi is the only option. This is not too far off IMO.

I was able to convince my son yesterday to go EV. But he was a techy, had already messed with converting a go-cart to electric and thought it would be cool. The hang up was about recharging and I blew right through that by example. He was listening already but needed to hear it from USERs, not the media

Reactions: navguy12
My wife belongs to an online knitting group.

Someone in the group bought an EV (MG in Australia) recently and there are now two camps…the “I’m open to getting an EV” and the “can’t do it here in northern Saskatchewan, too far to get to Saskatoon when it’s -40 in January.”

My wife told me that the northern Saskatchewan excuse is a good one.

I showed her where her online colleague lives and that her colleague lived 228 km from Saskatoon and there was a Supercharger half way to Saskatoon and another one in Saskatoon and that at -40, there wouldn’t be an issue.

Spending time on this one example, drilling into the weeds to prove that there was plenty of NACS level three chargers for that one situation was still like Inheriting the Wind.

Like @SOULPEDL says, some folks won’t give up gasoline.

I guess when it’s-40 outside, they prefer to drive to the local gas station and pump gas…versus unplugging their car in their garage and driving away. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: SOULPEDL
the general public is unaware of the advantages of a tesla EV, increasing awareness and educating
them may well increase the addressable market.

or better yet, keep them in the dark and let them others drive the narrative.
we want the truth. We need the truth.

To be clear @Drax7 , I agree with you that ads would do as you say. It is just that now may not be the right time to do that. As frustrating as it is for us to realize how un- and mis-informed the majority of potential customers are this is not the time to bring them up to speed en mass.

Once Tesla can deliver in a timely manner to the rising tide of interested buyers that advertising brings, go for it. Maybe once Mexico is ramped?

Doing so before that could result in a negative effect, frustrated customers unable to buy a car if there is markedly higher demand and no means from which to fill it.

Reactions: Drax7
Without question all the posts about general information about BEV's are correct. The basic question for Tesla is whether it is both econic and practical for Tesla to assume the task for general information.

Financially, general information for early adopters is typically unnecessary since early adopters for nearly everything seek out new technologies on their own. From the McCormick Reaper, Elias Howe and cross-stitching, Edison's phonograph and electric lights and so on, the initial adoption of any given solution itself foments a later adoption by broader audiences who observe the early adopters.

In the history of marketing nobody invented advertising until the only means of generalized communication was newspapers, and even then Thomas Wanamaker famously said "I was 50% of my advertising money, the trouble is, I don't know which 50%. Until 1993 the advent of radio and television expanded 'reach' dramatically but just made Wanamaker's dilemma worse. Once Advertising companies appeared in 1786 with Wlliam Taylor the incentives kept shifting with increasing distribution costs as new technologies appeared, so cost per reach diminished but cost per sale gradually became difficult to know.

Then the principles of Aaron Montgomery Ward in 1972 created direct mail, which was superb until the new technologies doomed economic scale. Next direct response mail succeeded but the economics dissipated as response rates dropped to nearly nil.

why 1993? the internet went commercial. Now the most adept marketers can target prospects very directly. Skipping all the many technicalities, today 'cost per reach' is higher but 'cost per sale' is lower. Why? Today adept marketers do not indulge in building awareness in general, but on influencing people who are aware and have the means, to actually buy. Fatually, Tesla is one of a tiny handful who'v mastered that art.

Now the advertising argument keeps being to build awareness, especially regarding price and cost. Lack of awareness is indeed a problem but...to the ignorant any conventional advertising does not help. I could go even further into the economics and reality, but I'm probably already pushing too much of my syllabus for my seminar on History of Marketing.

So what should Tesla do? In my considered option they should do what they are doing.
First, develop quirky games and features that generate 'word of mouth', the Holy Grail of marketing, specifically for young people and active social media consumers who do a fine job of publicity.
Second, provide incentives for present owners to proselytize less informed people. Get them to spend money, notably by buying shares. Done in fine form!
Third, generate favorable public support for the mission. That is working nicely, too, with politicians everywhere lining up to encourage Tesla to come.
Fourth, do everything they can to encourage the most forceful advocates to support continued growth. That too is moving well as NACS suddenly generates widespread North American support from OEM's who are trying to be competitors.
Fifth, do everything possible to generate publicity, unpaid, for each new development. Also done! Nobody else has publicity like Tesla.
Sixth, pursue direct sales and provide counting favorable support, notably by Superchargers everywhere.

The problem comes becomes when many of us doubt that the process is working because many people we know know nothing about Tesla or BEV. That problem is solving itself over time, just as electricity, telephone, television, cellular phones and internet use have done. None fo those really needed awareness advertising because the society gradually moves towards adoption.

The advertising advocates invariably do not understand how awareness builds and how adoption rises through the natural adoption curves, It its a waste fo money to try to speed that process, which is rising exponentially by itself. After all, even countries Tesla does not serve are clamoring for them to come, invest and produce, from India, Brazil, Indonesia to dozens of others.

In short, Tesla is in the 21st century while some of us want to send it back to Wanamaker's 19th century.
Elon, hearing the ill-considered clamor, said Tesla would 'experiment'. Of course they do, that is no change from the existing trajectory, but serves to pacify the people advocating obsolete techniques.

Note 1: does anybody wonder why General Dynamics, Boeing, Airbus and their ilk advertise? Frankly they do so because ignorant politicians and board members think they should, so they do things to placate their primary infleuncers. That is why media markets such as Washington, DC, Brussels etc have placements from those entities. They're avoiding wasting money elsewhere. We are at risk of inducing Tesla to adopt equally wasteful and ineffective practices.

Note 2: Advertising does NOT induce positive reaction from reactionaries, who tune out things they do not want to hear.

This was the campaign I suggested upthread on page 3. If these were professional ads perhaps showing Tom Brady getting a new car, they would go viral and would only need to be shown a small number of times on TV. We need something to be able to show our parents and grandparents that the future is here. Watch these 11 ads on YouTube and you will get it.

1. Booking and going on a test drive
  2. Ordering on-line, leasing
    1. Ordering on-line
    2. Leasing
    3. Loans
  3. What's different when you pickup car - screen, no buttons
  4. Superchargers, range
  5. Charging at home
  6. Impact on environment
  7. Safety
  8. Perfomance - faster than a Lambo
  9. Servicing, little maintenance, rangers
  10. Autopilot
  11. FSD coming

Solar etc in future campaigns.

What matters to most everyday people is the amount of their car payments. And while the Tesla website attempts to show this, the way that driving a Tesla will affect the amount of total cash outlay per month. This is what really needs to be communicated to folks. I can't tell you how many people don't think they can afford payments on a Model 3 SR RWD, yet these same folks are paying $200 or more per month in fuel! Then a Tesla (new or used) becomes more than affordable. That's what Tesla needs to communicate in any advertising... it benefits not only Tesla but all BEV sales.

Got to wake up the masses to show just how affordable owning a BEV really is.

After they change is simpler. Feb onwards perhaps. Super Bowl would be nice...
Have you considered the budget your ideas would demand?
Specifically: cost per reach; cost per qualified reach.
Super Bowl wins on neither metric, but doing so gets attention, especially with AdAge.
To fans it’s quite difficult to communicate the cost/benefit calculus.

Lastly, It is a demonstrated total losing proposition to promote seriously new technology to older audiences, directly. My oncologist even tells me that they face constant challenge to have older patients accept robotic surgery. With Automotive technology advances there is a reason why vehicles with older clientele maintain ancient switchgear. Much is to avoid challenging traditional customers.

PLEASE understand that Tesla target market, virtually all the total addressable market is younger than 40 years, the market is largely growing into the vehicles.

That means highly targeted use of media consumed by younger audiences.
Translation: broadcast TV is for geriatrics. Superbowl is for ubiquitous prospecting for generic products. Cost per qualified reach destroys any other categories.

None of that stops fans from paying celebrities...nor even the ‘rational‘ Swiss who persist in thinking George Clooney sells Nespresso. They’re selling lots of it. Everyone knows those ads. Does the former relate to the latter. The execs get to hobnob with the celebrity. Anybody who’s ever attended commercial shooting with a serious celebrity or just a very photogenic one understands the cost/benefit is established by attendees.