Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need for Tesla Advertising / PR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That curve is great for consumer adoption of new tech that requires new consumer behavior, like cell phones did vs land lines for example, or Netflix streaming vs cable TV.

EVs is not an adoption from a consumer perspective though since we are still buying cars. It's more adoption on the production side. A cleaner, safer, more comfortable and powerful implementation of the cars we were already used to drive. More expensive to make still, that's a challenge.

I think it's incredibly obvious that it's a money problem, not an ad problem. If you walk through American towns, in front of the mansions there are 90% Teslas, while in the less well heeled parts there are just few, if any.
Assuming it is just an affordability problem (which it isn't); Seems to me that pointing out lower total cost of ownership would be helpful. Invest in an EV and you might be surprised how low the starting price is these days. Also, leasing and loans (both straight from Tesla.com with a few clicks) can make the unaffordable affordable for many.

8Bn people in the world. A successful campaign would yield 800,000 orders (just 0.01% of population). There are plenty that meet the following requirements:
  1. uneducated on EVs and
  2. who can some how find the money one way or another
These are additional to:
  1. Existing owners reordering
  2. Those that are saving or now able to purchase
  3. Those that find out about Tesla from neighbours, colleagues, Twitter etc.
  4. Further price reductions

Reactions: Moon Buggy
Assuming it is just an affordability problem (which it isn't); Seems to me that pointing out lower total cost of ownership would be helpful. Invest in an EV and you might be surprised how low the starting price is these days. Also, leasing and loans (both straight from Tesla.com with a few clicks) can make the unaffordable affordable for many.

People aren't dumb. Almost nobody would buy a gas car if they could get an EV for the same price. Norway is case in point.

82.8% BEV in Norway. Because of advertising? BEVs are more affordable than ICE (because tax incentives). Model Y is the best selling car over there now, no advertising. How come the incumbent models don't sell more than Model Y even though their brands are advertising?
1682509743623.png

Norway's EV Sales Explode Ahead Of Policy Changes - CleanTechnica
1682510237206.png

People aren't dumb. Almost nobody would buy a gas car if they could get an EV for the same price. Norway is case in point.

82.8% BEV in Norway. Because of advertising? BEVs are more affordable than ICE (because tax incentives). Model Y is the best selling car over there now, no advertising. How come the incumbent models don't sell more than Model Y even though their brands are advertising?
View attachment 932014

Norway's EV Sales Explode Ahead Of Policy Changes - CleanTechnica
View attachment 932015
You could switch this argument around 180. People in Norway are not stupid. People elsewhere not so much. That fits my model of the world.

To be clear, I like the no advertising model for other reasons and therefore not desperate for Tesla to advertise.

Should the target audience be boomers? They have the money but also the least awareness. This feeds into what media the ads are placed, time of day etc..
In the early days, until ~2015 or so, perhaps most Model S were sold to boomers but at gatherings back then there were also a fairly large number of younger people, many of whom were stretching.

Right now I think we're on the cusp of wide acceptance in areas with high density of stores, service centers and Superchargers. Despite worries among many of us of lack of awareness broader knowledge and awareness is coming rapidly. Further Models 3 and Y are now competitive with mass market equivalents in most markets.

As we look at inventory 'days on hand' and actual sales it's quite clear that Tesla is doing well.
I believe most of our concerns are being addressed quite effectively. Right now a Google search for electric car yields numerous choices, among them Tesla. If awareness is a real issue it is a simple matter to pay for better placement in search, and even, if we want to blow the money, pay for Tesla to appear for any search of a new car.

Tesla did try merchandise placement on Amazon a few years ago and they've tried many forms of promotional devices in one market of another. In China they've had great success with the Supercharger drive to Mount Everest Base Camp, not to mention the regular Tesla rallies. They've proven adept at getting promotional value from Tesla police cars, car rental placements and so on.

As we know Tesla plans to enter many unserved countries during the next two years. Each such move will generate more coverage. The big unknowns are mostly what happens with the Southern California and Noway deep concentrations. Frankly Tesla is now mainstream in both Southern California and Norway, and nearing that is a good many other markets. As that is happening the awareness 'problems' will be resolved replaced with the astoundingly high owner satisfaction, repeat sales and new product categories.

Is there really a problem? Possibly, but we certainly cannot tell that from inventory Days on Hand. Are the price reductions problems? I cannot see that either because colors, larger batteries, FSD, connectivity are all producing quite good margins.

It seems to me that when Elon said over and over that cars could be zero margin and FSD would deliver miracles...many people panicked assuming that would happen. Since that has been a topic for years and always coming 'soon' I, for one, ignore that speech. In the meantime more ancillary income is coming from connectivity, colors and other options.
Further, huge publicity will arrive with Cybertruck later this year which will end out producing more car sales...and there is TE rising.

Is it not a bit too soon to panic?

Major addition in bold:
  1. Booking and going on a test drive
  2. Ordering on-line, leasing
    1. No haggling - I think this is a huge benefit that is under appreciated
    2. Ordering on-line
    3. Leasing
    4. Loans
  3. What's different when you pickup car - screen, no buttons
  4. Superchargers, range
  5. Charging at home
  6. Impact on environment
  7. Safety
  8. Perfomance - faster than a Lambo
  9. Servicing, little maintenance, rangers
  10. Autopilot
  11. FSD coming

Solar etc in future campaigns.
That was another point I was passing along to my Uber driver on Monday; when he was ready to order he would be getting the same price as everyone else that day, no need to be good at negotiation and all that crap.

Reactions: Buckminster
I guess the regular posters are still sleeping so: (elon tweet)

"At some point, we should probably do advertising as art/communication/entertainment & to support high quality media"

Anyway, regarding S Korea being too small, I am currently on holiday there, having just come from Japan. Japan has a few Teslas, South Korea.... I think I've seen one. There is a huge opportunity here for Tesla to sell well. Its not like Koreans don't like cars, or don't spend on nice ones, and its not like they don't like high tech stuff either.
Very very apartment-block based though. Destination charging a must. But I look forward to Tesla doing way better in this market in future, even if it does not get a dedicated factory.

I guess the regular posters are still sleeping so: (elon tweet)

"At some point, we should probably do advertising as art/communication/entertainment & to support high quality media"

Anyway, regarding S Korea being too small, I am currently on holiday there, having just come from Japan. Japan has a few Teslas, South Korea.... I think I've seen one. There is a huge opportunity here for Tesla to sell well. Its not like Koreans don't like cars, or don't spend on nice ones, and its not like they don't like high tech stuff either.
Very very apartment-block based though. Destination charging a must. But I look forward to Tesla doing way better in this market in future, even if it does not get a dedicated factory.

You do realize this tweet is from
7:18 AM · Jul 21, 2020,
right? 😆

Looks like some people have been asleep for a looong time...