Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help/advice: delivery of 2017 Model S 100D Ludicrous Performance Red 5YJSA1E46HF200921

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought this 2017 Model S 100D Ludicrous Performance – Red – 5YJSA1E46HF200921 on Tesla.com on 8/12/2020.

Used Delivery Team and sales associate equivocate consistently (or forward the lies from the service center). I have visited the vehicle in its "secured holding facility." It clearly isn't being worked on and I am just being given the runaround. Furthermore, there's a suspension issue no one except me has mentioned. (So far they have ignored my mention of it.)

I'd like to buy this vehicle in a timely manner. Help me wise TMC forum members! What can I do?!

Attachments

• 20200819_122843.jpg
    20200819_122843.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 118
More details:

Price: $73,500.00
Miles: 30k
1 previous accident @ around 800 miles - passenger-side rear door replaced. This owner must have then sold, as car was a lease for the remainder of the miles.
The only reported damage is hail damage requiring the replacement of a camera (parts are on-site, allegedly) and a chrome trim piece (no eta for fixing this).

The broken suspension on 1 side is clearly seen in the photo I took at the "secure holding facility" in the above post.

What exactly are you expecting or hoping for advice on? It’s not clear from your post. If you’re looking for timely, communicative, transparent customer service from a used vehicle purchase with Tesla then you’re in for a hell of a ride. They’ll get the car ready in their own time and let you know when it is. Not defending that, but it is what it is and you should have realistic expectations about what you’re in for.

You’re buying a used, previously wrecked/damaged car from a company that can barely keep their sh!t together on brand new fresh from the factory transactions.

The car has probably been sitting for quite some time. The “broken suspension” you’re looking at is probably a very small leak from the air strut. Not a big deal.

What exactly are you expecting? It’s not clear from your post. If you’re looking for timely, communicative, transparent customer service from a used vehicle purchase with Tesla then you’re in for a hell of a ride. They’ll get the car ready in their own time and let you know when it is. Not defending that, but it is what it is and you should have realistic expectations about what you’re in for.

You’re buying a used, previously wrecked/damaged car from a company that can barely keep their sh!t together on brand new fresh from the factory transactions.

The car has probably been sitting for quite some time. The “broken suspension” you’re looking at is probably a very small leak from the air strut. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the reply!!

I want a car that is 100% mechanically sound delivered in a timely manner. I do not want them to take forever to patch up a few things then dump a service nightmare onto me. I don't think that's much to ask.

Since they didn't mention the air suspension, I want to make sure they address it prior to delivery. Otherwise, I have to take it back...

And, I want to be told the truth. If they don't plan to touch the car for a month, it would be courteous to tell me that.

Have you had prior success/problems with Tesla and getting your used vehicle delivered? Were there things you did/didn't do that helped?

Is this a suspicious situation or is this par for Tesla? Are they taking me for a ride?

Have you bought used from Tesla only to find they didn't actually repair anything that was wrong? Did you buy a used vehicle from Tesla that was pristine?

I am looking for useful input to help inform what actions I might take. I already have 1 "walk away from Tesla" on a different thread...

I’d get a new S LR in red with premium interior and FSD - cost just $14,000 0ver (easy for me to say since it’s not my money) what you’ll pay for a 3 year old model that’s been used and, perhaps, abused.

That is definitely one option; I only want a P100D Model S (red, w/ 21" wheels) and the tri-motor Cybertruck. Therefore, the extra cost is not justified imo.

They really don't care. At this point car is marked as sold and you are a nuisance to them.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the end but you need more patience.

I will leave them alone and you can deal with getting anything that should have been fixed repaired after the car is officially mine. And the loaner vehicle. And if it costs anything, you'll pay for it, okay?

From experience (just built a house that is an ongoing saga of me calling people to come back and finish the work they were supposed to, and agreed to, do), it's either a pain in their asses now or a pain in my ass later. But, unlike a car, which I may not be able to use if it fails dramatically, I can live in a house with a leaking roof, leaking basement, no water filtration, unfinished concrete, damaged cabinetry, etc.

I am sure it will be fine in the end too which is why I haven't canceled the sale. The question is how much time of mine will it take to ensure it will be fine?

I will leave them alone and you can deal with getting anything that should have been fixed repaired after the car is officially mine. And the loaner vehicle. And if it costs anything, you'll pay for it, okay?

From experience (just built a house that is an ongoing saga of me calling people to come back and finish the work they were supposed to, and agreed to, do), it's either a pain in their asses now or a pain in my ass later. But, unlike a car, which I may not be able to use if it fails dramatically, I can live in a house with a leaking roof, leaking basement, no water filtration, unfinished concrete, damaged cabinetry, etc.

I am sure it will be fine in the end too which is why I haven't canceled the sale. The question is how much time of mine will it take to ensure it will be fine?
Not sure why you’re snapping at users here, we don’t work at Tesla, at least not all of us...
The way you’re being treated is the norm, if you don’t like the lack of clarity or communication from Tesla then move on and buy from a private party. This is how Tesla used car sales department operates, if anyone has a good experience with them it’s people who already know that it’s going to be a crappy experience and they go with the flow.

People are spending multiple service visits and many months to take care of issues on their brand new cars. Do you think Tesla cares about your used car? It's not like you didn't know how it was going to be before pressing the order button.

Reactions: waiting4used
Not sure why you’re snapping at users here, we don’t work at Tesla, at least not all of us...
The way you’re being treated is the norm, if you don’t like the lack of clarity or communication from Tesla then move on and buy from a private party. This is how Tesla used car sales department operates, if anyone has a good experience with them it’s people who already know that it’s going to be a crappy experience and they go with the flow.

Bro, I gave the post a thumbs up? It's not snapping. It is simply me trying to explain my rationale. Sorry if it seems like I am angry. I am not. ;) I appreciate all opinions and advice.

Looks like being annoying to Tesla has gotten some results: the used delivery team told me to call the service center directly. I did that and they now tell me that they will look at the suspension and get back to me tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm really glad I did because when I called today they told me the car was done. Like, ready to be picked up. Which is wonderful but it definitely needs a suspension repair.

K so 8/25 they looked at the air suspension at my behest and have determined there is nothing wrong with it. "The car may have sat for a long time. When you turn it on, it fixes it." So, do I insist on them repairing it now? Or do I take it back in 6 months when the leak is worse? Is an air suspension leak a warranty-covered item?

This is a very common occurrence with air suspensions and I think their assessment is correct. Most systems are not air tight to the extent that they can be left sitting for weeks or months at a time without some air loss and sag. It's like a tire - even when perfectly sealed, you need to top them off every now and then.

Powering the car on fires up the compressor and everything is back to normal in about 4 seconds.

Reactions: waiting4used
This is a very common occurrence with air suspensions and I think their assessment is correct. Most systems are not air tight to the extent that they can be left sitting for weeks or months at a time without some air loss and sag. It's like a tire - even when perfectly sealed, you need to top them off every now and then.

Powering the car on fires up the compressor and everything is back to normal in about 4 seconds.

Okay. I'm going to check it out today to see if the car has been moved/is not lopsided. If they checked it out yesterday or today it should still have plenty of pressure in the air suspension; will report back!