Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need help reconciling TeslaFi stats with car SOC display...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently received my 3 and started a trial account on TeslaFi. Yesterday was my first day doing my regular commute to work and today was day 2. Both days I used 16% to get to work, even though drastically different conditions (going slow today offset the higher consumption of heater and heavy snow on roads etc).

Yesterday the car slept most of the day, losing ~0.7 kWh. I think the dash might have said 65% when I turned it on at the end of the day (vs TF saying 66%, see screen cap), but I don't honestly remember. No blue snowflake that I remember. Drive home uneventful, used about 17%.

Car slept all night, TF says lost 1%.

Blue snowflake this morning and display less then 47%, but can't remember exactly. Today car parked with dash 31%... supposedly slept all day, but when I get back, dash says 26%! TF reports 2.9 kWh lost, zero of that as conditioning, shows SOC as 31% still. Blue snowflake! I check the battery "gauge" on the charging page... hard to estimate, but the blue slice looks about 5% or so. Heavy snow on the way home and longer route, dash says I used 21%, TF reports 26%. On the way home I was using the navigation so I could compare estimated energy use on the "trip" graph - right around the time the snowflake went away (about 1:10 into my drive!), I suddenly have a bump of about 4% to the good for SOC I will arrive at.

So my question - did I actually lose that 2.9 kWh reported by TF? Or was it "hidden" by the blue snowflake? Is the dash reporting usable SOC when the blue snowflake showing, or the total capacity, assuming I heat the battery enough to "unlock" that capacity?

Attachments

• 2018-12-10.png
    2018-12-10.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2018-12-11.png
    2018-12-11.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 34
I recently received my 3 and started a trial account on TeslaFi. Yesterday was my first day doing my regular commute to work and today was day 2. Both days I used 16% to get to work, even though drastically different conditions (going slow today offset the higher consumption of heater and heavy snow on roads etc).

Yesterday the car slept most of the day, losing ~0.7 kWh. I think the dash might have said 65% when I turned it on at the end of the day (vs TF saying 66%, see screen cap), but I don't honestly remember. No blue snowflake that I remember. Drive home uneventful, used about 17%.

Car slept all night, TF says lost 1%.

Blue snowflake this morning and display less then 47%, but can't remember exactly. Today car parked with dash 31%... supposedly slept all day, but when I get back, dash says 26%! TF reports 2.9 kWh lost, zero of that as conditioning, shows SOC as 31% still. Blue snowflake! I check the battery "gauge" on the charging page... hard to estimate, but the blue slice looks about 5% or so. Heavy snow on the way home and longer route, dash says I used 21%, TF reports 26%. On the way home I was using the navigation so I could compare estimated energy use on the "trip" graph - right around the time the snowflake went away (about 1:10 into my drive!), I suddenly have a bump of about 4% to the good for SOC I will arrive at.

So my question - did I actually lose that 2.9 kWh reported by TF? Or was it "hidden" by the blue snowflake? Is the dash reporting usable SOC when the blue snowflake showing, or the total capacity, assuming I heat the battery enough to "unlock" that capacity?

After a few more weeks, I've answered my own question. The car UI is reporting usable battery % (or rated range, whatever you have showing) on the dash when the blue snowflake is visible. Snowflake again this morning, car reported 245 km rated range. I drove about 50 km before it disappeared, and rated range dropped by about 55 km, which is much less than in similar conditions. The trip meter however showed the truth - using the Wh/km reported, I calculated actual rated range consumption of ~67km for those 50 km, which is in line with other similar commutes where I have started the morning with a "warm" battery after charging.

Unfortunately I also discovered that TeslaFi does not correctly account for consumption when the blue snowflake is present - it only uses the displayed rated range at the beginning of the drive and the end of the drive, which in this case drastically under-reported energy used for this morning's commute: actual used from car trip meter - 14.0 kWh; reported by TeslaFi is 11.2 kWh!!

Unfortunately if TeslaFi can't fix this, I will stop logging with it as it will just be producing garbage data that isn't comparable.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life