Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help selecting OEM size 2020 MYP tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to get some new tires for my MYP and see that in OEM tires are the Pirellis PZ4 and the Michelin pilot sports all season tires. I’m bringing this particular car back from FL to NJ so was leaning toward the all seasons but if they are not good tires I will go with the PZ4 summer tires. The car is a basic short distance commuter for when it returns back to NJ. I appreciate the help in advance. Cheers.

Here is the current tread wear. It doesn’t look bad, it has 11,500 miles.

70259271936__64E82746-7691-4314-A537-EA32360AE68C.jpeg

Here is the current tread wear. It doesn’t look bad, it has 11,500 miles.

Those look pretty good. Why do you want to replace them?

You would be better off with the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tire. Summer tires become rock hard and lose traction even on dry roads in temperatures below 45F.

I’ve read that before, but my experience has been the opposite. I’ve had mine as low as 20º F, and they stick like glue to dry pavement. I don’t have the guts to try snow with them, but dry traction at lower temps is just fine.

I’ve read that before, but my experience has been the opposite. I’ve had mine as low as 20º F, and they stick like glue to dry pavement. I don’t have the guts to try snow with them, but dry traction at lower temps is just fine.
It has been stated that summer tires can be damaged if driven when too cold as the rubber can crack. There is a YT video where a PMY owner drives in 6 inches of fresh snow with the Pirelli summer tires. The PMY didn't get stuck but the stopping distance was very long.

Reactions: Zer0t
It has been stated that summer tires can be damaged if driven when too cold as the rubber can crack. There is a YT video where a PMY owner drives in 6 inches of fresh snow with the Pirelli summer tires. The PMY didn't get stuck but the stopping distance was very long.

Yeah, I believe that. But you don’t have to worry about that for at least another 6 months. I’d run some more life out of your Pirellis before investing in new rubber.

Reactions: Zer0t and jcanoe

I just making sure the vehicle was safe. I will probably keep the tires for a bit longer. I’m one of those ounce of prevention vs a ton of cure people.

I just making sure the vehicle was safe. I will probably keep the tires for a bit longer. I’m one of those ounce of prevention vs a ton of cure people.

I bet you’re safest in the warmer months with sticky summer rubber. I haven’t done a controlled test, but I’m absolutely certain my car has better braking distance on the Pirellis than the other two tires I have for the car. Tests I’ve seen also suggest they do well in the rain.

Reactions: Zer0t