Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need new 12 volt battery - who (other than Tesla) can install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to get a new 12V battery installed in my 2018 S75D. The wait for an appointment at the service center is 6 weeks, and I don’t see an option for a mobile appointment. I don’t want to do this myself. Any suggestions on where to get this done otherwise?

Thank you.
Schedule the appointment. Typically, for something like a 12v batter change, someone will reach out within the next business day or 2 to offer you an earlier appointment and it will likely be mobile as well, if available in your area. That's been our experience w/12v battery replacements. Also, 6 weeks isn't a big deal for a 12v battery in a Tesla. You likely have a buffer measured not in days or weeks (like an ICE car) but months.

Upvote 0
I need to get a new 12V battery installed in my 2018 S75D. The wait for an appointment at the service center is 6 weeks, and I don’t see an option for a mobile appointment. I don’t want to do this myself. Any suggestions on where to get this done otherwise?

Thank you.
Here in AZ, I've been able to drive to the service center and they've replaced it within an hour.

Upvote 0

Thank you.

How old is your 12V battery? Did you noticed any warning? Did you use the Service Mode to check for any messages?

I would recommend to install a Bluetooth 12V Battery Monitor, so you ill be able to check, when you car is sleeping,
how often the 12V battery get recharged by the DC/DC inverter.

Typically the 12V battery get recharged after about three days, if the car has been sleeping during that time.

However, if you noticed that the battery get recharged almost every 24 hours for about one hour,
this will indicate that the 12V battery cannot keep its charge and need to be replace.

In this case, I would recommend not running any update until you get a new 12V battery.​
You should carry a small 9V battery, in case you could not open your door.​
This will alllo you to open the frunk.​
Note: I have this bad experience of not been able to open my the door, because of a bad 12V battery.​
But with the phone App, using the Climat menu, I was able to crack the window and pass a stick to press on the inside dooe button.​

Reactions: Don.Church
Upvote 0
Schedule the appointment. Typically, for something like a 12v batter change, someone will reach out within the next business day or 2 to offer you an earlier appointment and it will likely be mobile as well, if available in your area. That's been our experience w/12v battery replacements. Also, 6 weeks isn't a big deal for a 12v battery in a Tesla. You likely have a buffer measured not in days or weeks (like an ICE car) but months.

I had mine done a few years back, and it was done very quickly and easily by mobile ranger.

Upvote 0
How old is your 12V battery? Did you noticed any warning? Did you use the Service Mode to check for any messages?

I would recommend to install a Bluetooth 12V Battery Monitor, so you ill be able to check, when you car is sleeping,
how often the 12V battery get recharged by the DC/DC inverter.

Typically the 12V battery get recharged after about three days, if the car has been sleeping during that time.

However, if you noticed that the battery get recharged almost every 24 hours for about one hour,
this will indicate that the 12V battery cannot keep its charge and need to be replace.

In this case, I would recommend not running any update until you get a new 12V battery.​
You should carry a small 9V battery, in case you could not open your door.​
This will alllo you to open the frunk.​
Note: I have this bad experience of not been able to open my the door, because of a bad 12V battery.​
But with the phone App, using the Climat menu, I was able to crack the window and pass a stick to press on the inside dooe button.​
Teslafi also works for monitoring sleep states, which indicates whether or not you battery is loosing capacity and is needing to be charged often.

Upvote 0