Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Roadster Owners' Opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I am a current Tesla Model 3 reservation holder and can't wait to receive my car. While I wait, I have also been looking for a fun weekend car; something that I can enjoy with my wife...like a coupe or convertible. I was looking for a used porsche cayman or boxster, SLK, or Z4...something like that. While I was on this dealership website, I came across a used 2010 Tesla Roadster. The asking price is $32,500 which does not sound too bad (hoping to get to possibly get it for less if I decide to make an offer), but the only issue I see is that it has 84,300 miles on it. Apparently, it is a Tesla Roadster Sport.

I was hoping to get your opinions on this car, are the miles too high? What do you all think of the price? Is there a way to see if this car has been maintained properly and looked at properly by a Tesla Service center? If I wanted to purchase this car, what is the best way to go about it. Milage is important to me and even though, it would be a weekend fun car or a car I take out on nice sunny warm days (so I do not think I would be putting too many miles on it), to me, I feel 84,300 miles is a lot? Am I wrong with this thinking,

Thanks In Advance,

Kal

Does the dealer know what they're selling? If the car's been properly cared for, even with that many miles on it, a Roadster would go for maybe 2x that price. So either it's a really good deal, or something is wrong. Do you have the last 4 digits of the VIN? Someone here might have a bit of history on it.

On the other hand, in the unlikely case that it's real, 84K miles is no big deal. The main thing to check for is how much charge the battery will hold. To give you an idea of what's normal, brand new Roadsters range mode charged to about 244 miles. Before I got my battery upgrade a few weeks ago at 109K miles mine charged to 204 (again, in range mode). If you're seeing less than that, then something is wrong.

Otherwise, just the obvious stuff: body damage, interior, tires (which don't last long no matter what), etc. While they have problems, other than the battery it's not stuff wearing out so much as braking. That you'd notice because of errors on the VDS.

But, like others said, $32K is way too cheap, so caveat emptor.

I'll repeat gregd's advice: Let us know the last 4 digits of the VIN & someone here will likely be able to tell you the history of the car.

My Roadster (which was safely in my garage at the time & not for sale) was listed on eBay as available. If anyone ran the VIN through CarFax, they would have gotten a clean report. But it was a scam. I had to supply eBay with a copy of the registration in my name and my driver's license before they were willing to take the listing down.

Be careful on this one. The price is clearly too low.

Reactions: wiztecy
Kao, I do not see a link in your post to the car you are discussing, but I am 99% certain that a 2.0 Roadster Sport for $32.5K is a scam, regardless of the high mileage. If you are serious about the car, it is imperative that you see the car and the owner in person and see the actual certificate of title and ensure that it matches the owner AND see some valid ID for the owner. The internet is chock full of fraudulent vehicle sale ads. Good luck.
I am a current Tesla Model 3 reservation holder and can't wait to receive my car. While I wait, I have also been looking for a fun weekend car; something that I can enjoy with my wife...like a coupe or convertible. I was looking for a used porsche cayman or boxster, SLK, or Z4...something like that. While I was on this dealership website, I came across a used 2010 Tesla Roadster. The asking price is $32,500 which does not sound too bad (hoping to get to possibly get it for less if I decide to make an offer), but the only issue I see is that it has 84,300 miles on it. Apparently, it is a Tesla Roadster Sport.

I was hoping to get your opinions on this car, are the miles too high? What do you all think of the price? Is there a way to see if this car has been maintained properly and looked at properly by a Tesla Service center? If I wanted to purchase this car, what is the best way to go about it. Milage is important to me and even though, it would be a weekend fun car or a car I take out on nice sunny warm days (so I do not think I would be putting too many miles on it), to me, I feel 84,300 miles is a lot? Am I wrong with this thinking,

HI Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I have just got the last 4 digits of the VIN:0801. The link to the website is listed here...http://www.ecautomotive.com/2010_Tesla_Roadster_Evans City_PA_6447820.veh#.

Again, thank you for all the great advice. To those who spoke about meeting the previous owner, how do I do that if the car is being sold at an independent dealer? I do not purchase cars very often (obviously from all my questions). Also, the description does say it has been signed by Elon Musk and is considered an "ambassador" car.

Kal

Kal, thanks for the link. Call the dealer and talk to them. Then go see the car. If you can't get the dealer on the phone that is a bad sign. If the dealer has a story for why you can't see the car (scammers are full of stories as to why the car can't be inspected) then forget it.

If the car is real and the dealer/seller has a valid title, the ask to see the (quote from the ad) "recent annual service and complete going over by Tesla; they will vouch for it" and then call the Tesla service center where the work was done and ask them to verify it.

If all that checks out then it is legitimate. But do not assume that anything the dealer/seller tells you on the phone is true. Verify everything, in person and with Tesla.

Let us know.

Note: in the ad there is a link "Click here for VIN" which goes to a page with a form you fill in to get the VIN. That is odd, and suspicious to me.

I find it interesting that the dealer has a physical address listed. I'd drive to them and ask to see the car.

Almost every car listed in their website is ridiculously underpriced. And every photo set is taken in a different location. I think the whole website is a scam.

Hey All,

I think it is a scam. I have tried calling the dealer a few times and have gotten a busy signal every time. This is discouraging for me because I know I am not a knowledgeable person when it comes to purchasing a used car so now, I just feel I will get hosed when it comes time to buying one (poop on me). I have always been suspicious of independent dealerships and now after this, I guess my next used car purchase may have to be from an actual real dealership. Thanks again for all the advice and feedback everyone. I think I will pass on this car and this dealership.

Kal

Looks like it's a legitimate car dealer, but their website was hacked. They've cleaned up about 30 listings and now the pictures have consistent backgrounds. The phone number is legitimate, too. I wonder how the scammers were getting in contact with buyers.