Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help/advice from all you experts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ostrichsak makes very good points to consider.
I was quite set on a price point when I started looking. I decided on what was important to me and what wasn't. I realized that what I wanted didn't fit in my budget.
I'm glad that I decided to spend a little more. The difference in payment was very small and absolutely worth it.
Fyi.... I don't think that the HiFi sound system is worth paying extra for.

Lol!! I drove a friends Tesla and tried it and it totally freaked me out ha. I figure if I really love the car in a few years can get a newer one that has AP right!
That was my first experience nearly verbatim. It will be less than "a few years" that you'll want it, trust me. I wouldn't consider buying one without it now as I'd be lost. The level of safety it adds is drastic and the years of data is out there supporting this.

I wouldn't be as concerned about "higher" miles on a Tesla (or EV in general really) as I would on an ICE car. Sure, miles are still an indicator of use which equates to a rough idea of repair/maintenance costs but with fewer parts that can fail this figure isn't as punitive as it would be on a comparable ICE car. Really focus on getting the largest battery and most features for your money as you can even if it means spending a little bit more. As you go to resell it you never know when that last feature you spent a little bit more for on the front end lands your car in a buyer's search pool because it was a MUST have feature for their search. You'll also get the bonus of being able to enjoy said feature for the duration of your ownership.

My first car was a higher mile 2013 60kwh RWD and relatively low optioned Model S. It was a mistake. My ONLY focus was price point and as a result I ended up selling it shortly after buying it and investing more money to get something better. Don't make that same mistake I did. I could have spent more money but didn't as I was laser focused on the price point I had made up. It's difficult to explain coming from ICE cars but there's just some aspects of these cars that shouldn't be glossed over as it's more important than you'll realize until you actually own one.
This is great advice thank you!! So far I’ve been focused mostly on price, mileage, and range. I think coming from an i3 everything feels like an upgrade lol.

That is a good point. I’m embarrassed to admit I’m not known for keeping cars very long ha. I think 2 years is probably a realistic amount of time to have it. I have seen an extended warranty mentioned on here so maybe that is something I will need to consider too.
There’s no extended warranty for the battery and drivetrain. The extended warranty is purchased when the vehicle reaches 4years or 50k miles, so if the car you purchase has an extended warranty it would also end once the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty ends.

I was quite set on a price point when I started looking. I decided on what was important to me and what wasn't. I realized that what I wanted didn't fit in my budget.
I'm glad that I decided to spend a little more. The difference in payment was very small and absolutely worth it.
Good to know! I will need to look closer at available options and figure out what I really want! Being a woman I have mostly been looking at color and trim haha

The UHFS is a great example of something that, should you not see the value and not get it, it may cost you at the time of resale. Keep in mind that there are features that you don't see the value in that others see as a deal-breaker. When they set up whatever search aggregate they use and check the box for UHFS your car will never even show up on their radar. Your asking price will be lower than you could have listed it for with this option and you will have fewer eyes looking at it resulting in a longer time to sell.

For me, having owned both, I say the UHFS is noticeably better musically than the base system. I find that more often than not I'm listening to sports talk radio or similar so this is largely lost for 90% of my listening. That other 10% though it's a big difference and well worth it IMO. I even added a subwoofer to our 2015 that had the base system and it still doesn't sound as good. The midrange from the front door speakers sets an amazing sound stage and it feels a lot fuller than the base system.

This is great advice thank you!! So far I’ve been focused mostly on price, mileage, and range. I think coming from an i3 everything feels like an upgrade lol.
It will, for sure. Coming from anything ICE even a 2013 Model S w/o any options will feel like an upgrade. The problem is that will wear off quickly and you will be seeing all sorts of things you wish you had paid a little bit more for in relatively short order.

Heres one

https://www.mudarrimotorsports.com/details/used-2015-tesla-model-s/61090711

Heres another one

Used 2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sdn Performance at In And Out Auto Sales Puyallup WA 5YJSA1DP7DFP04576

.....and another

PRE-OWNED 2014 TESLA MODEL S BASE RWD 4D SEDAN

If your willing to travel there are plenty of used model S around. I would definitely recommend driving it and not buying it just using pictures for reference
Thank you! I know it's going to be difficult but am really trying to stick as close to $30k as possible. Goal is to be able to pay cash w/ my trade in.

Good to know! I will need to look closer at available options and figure out what I really want! Being a woman I have mostly been looking at color and trim haha
This isn't just a woman thing but more of a human thing. The reality is that color combo is probably the least important factor ultimately but it tends to be the first thing we all gravitate towards. I, too, am guilty of this but every car I've owned I've learned to appreciate the color combo even though it may not have been my first choice.

There’s no extended warranty for the battery and drivetrain. The extended warranty is purchased when the vehicle reaches 4years or 50k miles, so if the car you purchase has an extended warranty it would also end once the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty ends.
I thought I had read that there is an extended warranty that can be purchased through a third party company? I can't remember the name of it now will have to go look at this again.

Thank you! I know it's going to be difficult but am really trying to stick as close to $30k as possible. Goal is to be able to pay cash w/ my trade in.
I would also be prepared to start low with your offer as many if not most dealers who sell teslas have no idea about the vehicles and they seem to overprice and misstate what features/options it actually has. Also don't mention your trade in until after you have agreed on a purchase price. Negotiate as if it's an all cash deal so they dont low ball your trade. Make sure and look up your vehicles value using NADA not kelly blue book.

This isn't just a woman thing but more of a human thing. The reality is that color combo is probably the least important factor ultimately but it tends to be the first thing we all gravitate towards. I, too, am guilty of this but every car I've owned I've learned to appreciate the color combo even though it may not have been my first choice.
I feel like such a noob with all of this!! I am trying to figure out what is the highest mileage I would feel comfortable with.... so far for my price range I'm finding a lot of 2013s w/ mileage in the 60k-80k.

I would also be prepared to start low with your offer as many if not most dealers who sell teslas have no idea about the vehicles and they seem to overprice and misstate what features/options it actually has. Also don't mention your trade in until after you have agreed on a purchase price. Negotiate as if it's an all cash deal so they dont low ball your trade. Make sure and look up your vehicles value using NADA not kelly blue book.
Thank you!! Yes I am realizing this as I'm looking at the listings I can't even figure out what version Model S some of these are let alone what features they actually have...

The dash screen is a big difference between an older S and newer. I don't know what year they swapped it out for an HD screen, but I've driven both and the difference is significant. My S is a 2015 85D.

As far as Autopilot 1 goes, I use it for about 1.5 hours out of my two hour commute (round trip 110 miles) every single day. It really does keep you refreshed and not feeling tired. I'd probably hate the commute if I didn't have Autopilot 1; to each their own needs.

I feel like such a noob with all of this!! I am trying to figure out what is the highest mileage I would feel comfortable with.... so far for my price range I'm finding a lot of 2013s w/ mileage in the 60k-80k.
I've seen mileage from under 20k for a 2012 S all the way up to over 180k for a 2014. Mileage varies greatly which makes it difficult to determine where you should look. I drove a 2013 P85+ with 45k Miles and it had seen better days. I've also driven some with high miles that looked brand new.

I bought my S from a local dealer that had no clue about teslas so I went in there and picked it apart and walked away when they wouldnt take my offer but as soon as I got home they called and agreed to sell it to me.

You left out what should probably be the most important aspect: battery size. Take a look at what the upgrade costs of the various battery pack sizes and you'll quickly realize why this can have the largest difference in price used.

The dash screen is a big difference between an older S and newer. I don't know what year they swapped it out for an HD screen, but I've driven both and the difference is significant. My S is a 2015 85D.

As far as Autopilot 1 goes, I use it for about 1.5 hours out of my two hour commute (round trip 110 miles) every single day. It really does keep you refreshed and not feeling tired. I'd probably hate the commute if I didn't have Autopilot 1; to each their own needs.
OK good to know!! Didn't know there was a difference in the screen. I tried to the Autopilot in a friends car and it scared me haha. Thankfully I don't have too long of a commute, just taking kids to school and running errands etc. The biggest advantage for me is going to be being able to use the carpool lane when I'm by myself!! Arizona is weird and because my BMW i3 has a range extender it does not qualify for the special license plate here.

You left out what should probably be the most important aspect: battery size. Take a look at what the upgrade costs of the various battery pack sizes and you'll quickly realize why this can have the largest difference in price used.
Yes this is definitely important!! I am finding that a lot of these listings don't even have the battery size listed anywhere which is annoying...