Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to move a solar panel to access roof furnace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0FC7B757-205D-43DE-907C-63BC81E50E58.jpeg
Looks like the installers placed a panel in a location that prevents needed access to a roof AC unit.
01863411-B143-4C66-B4BE-0EC23BFF0087.jpeg
5883144E-2268-434F-A6D0-99C080F6424B.jpeg

Does anyone know how to remove or undo this clip to remove the panel? I just need to move the panel about a foot, so we can have some heat. Lol. Or maybe not lol.

Here is a picture of the clip.

Thanks for your help, heater repairman returns tomorrow.

Thanks.
JP

i'm going to guess. turn the torx head fastener a quarter turn to release the cam from the rail and then snap the clamp off the panel (or leave it), it doesn't look like jam nut is tightened down. do you have enough rail to slide panel over?
or perhaps the thing that looks like a jam nut is on piece, and you just rotate it a quarter turn to release from rail.
yeah, i'm going with the second idea and the torx drive may be for height adjustment. clip is for something, perhaps it is catching the rail on the panel.

Last edited:
View attachment 623357 Looks like the installers placed a panel in a location that prevents needed access to a roof AC unit. View attachment 623358 View attachment 623359

Does anyone know how to remove or undo this clip to remove the panel? I just need to move the panel about a foot, so we can have some heat. Lol. Or maybe not lol.

Here is a picture of the clip.

Thanks for your help, heater repairman returns tomorrow.

Thanks.
JP

Off to do dinner but remember I had saved this installation manual to my computer for Zep Solar ZS Span rail-based application. Not sure if it's exactly what you have but might still provide the answer you are looking for.

https://artbeforescience.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/zs-span-v2-us-800-0329-001-rev-f.pdf

Last edited:
Off to do dinner but remember I had saved this installation manual to my computer for Zep Solar ZS Span rail-based application. Not sure if it's exactly what you have but might still provide the answer you are looking for.

https://artbeforescience.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/zs-span-v2-us-800-0329-001-rev-f.pdf
Thank you! This is awesome. I figured out another method, but this will help as I relocate the panel so that I don’t have to do this again in the future.

Reactions: SMAlset
Thank you everyone for your quick responses.

I ended up using a 2.5” T30 (toro) to completely remove the panel clamp from the bolt. The manual posted above, thank you , will allow me to move the clamps tomorrow.

Just came off the roof and I’m done for the night.

Way to kick off 2021!

I’ll close out with some pics tomorrow in the day time.