Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative response from strangers and other stupid things people say

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a lot of questions and positive comments about my Model S, but last weekend I was surprised at the questions. I was in rural Missouri on a canoe trip on a small river. This is a popular spot and there are lots of people around in the parking lots and at the canoe rental place. It was a hundred miles from the nearest city of any size and I'm sure that my Tesla was the first electric car to roll on those back roads. I had four separate people come up over the course of two days and ask what the car cost. They had no other questions than the cost and once I answered, each of them walked away with no other comments. They did not seem to be angry, just very curious. That was the first time that I had been asked that question in the three months that I have owned the car and I did not feel comfortable telling a complete stranger that I spent almost $90K for my car (probably still in denial). Obviously it is an expensive car, but I don't think they would have asked the same question about a Mercedes, Porsche or BMW? OR maybe they would? I think that the only information reaching some people is negative media hype on the cost of this technology. That is really sad, because it is the last thing that I want to share. I many of us bought our Teslas to make make a statement, but I don't think it was look how much money I have. I was glad to come back to St Louis where people ask if it is all electric, how far it goes on a charge, where is the motor, and how fast will it go.

Ok guys, I wanted to run this by you. I haven't even got my Tesla yet (delivery tomorrow *fingers crossed*), but I've already run into some negative and ill-informed comments from a guy who posts from time to time on a British expats forum I sometimes contribute to. The easiest way to explain it is to read the actual board topic so here is the link. It starts where I contributed, post # 62 (Brit3964). My primary antagonist probably isn't difficult to spot, RoadWarriorfromLP begins at post # 79...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801119&page=5

While some of what he says is true which I think I'd already pointed out ie. it's not a car for everybody according to how you like to drive and how far you have to travel and to where, the rest of his logic defies me :confused: I tried my best. BTW, the woman in Mike's story here was waaay out of line and really odd. Online dissing is one thing, IRL is quite another. You deserve a medal Mike!

Ok guys, I wanted to run this by you. I haven't even got my Tesla yet (delivery tomorrow *fingers crossed*), but I've already run into some negative and ill-informed comments from a guy who posts from time to time on a British expats forum I sometimes contribute to. The easiest way to explain it is to read the actual board topic so here is the link. It starts where I contributed, post # 62 (Brit3964). My primary antagonist probably isn't difficult to spot, RoadWarriorfromLP begins at post # 79...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801119&page=5

While some of what he says is true which I think I'd already pointed out ie. it's not a car for everybody according to how you like to drive and how far you have to travel and to where, the rest of his logic defies me :confused: I tried my best. BTW, the woman in Mike's story here was waaay out of line and really odd. Online dissing is one thing, IRL is quite another. You deserve a medal Mike!

You won't convince everyone. That guy doesn't seem too bad, but I'm sure if he every drives a Model S, his tune will change. At least there's a LOT of facts available that you can continue to try and convince him with.

Honestly, if people refuse to get what Tesla is about, I don't mind. They made it this far with no advertising and are taking on some pretty big league opponents in the industry. I'll just sit on my stock and eventually buy Model X as my contribution to Tesla's hard work.

I know many of us bought our Teslas to make make a statement, but I don't think it was look how much money I have. I was glad to come back to St Louis where people ask if it is all electric, how far it goes on a charge, where is the motor, and how fast will it go.

That's going to be the beauty of the Gen-III if it's priced close to $35-40k. You'll probably get some responses of "that's not too bad" probably followed by "how do you like it?"