Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 adapter for Gen2 recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla adapter only work with the Gen2 setup?
Yes, it plugs directly into the mobile connector.
Seems like they are out of stock on the Tesla site so I was wondering if for example the ones on Amazon would be compatible.
I have never seen a compatible gen2 adapter on Amazon. They have adapters from various other plug types to 14-50, but that's probably not what you are looking for. EVSEAdapters has a compatible 14-50 adapter, but it is significantly more expensive. Your best bet is to keep checking the Tesla shop. They do get new stock from time to time.

Yes, it plugs directly into the mobile connector.
I have never seen a compatible gen2 adapter on Amazon. They have adapters from various other plug types to 14-50, but that's probably not what you are looking for. EVSEAdapters has a compatible 14-50 adapter, but it is significantly more expensive. Your best bet is to keep checking the Tesla shop. They do get new stock from time to time.

Thanks, I ended up finding one on Ebay.

Does the Tesla adapter only work with the Gen2 setup? Seems like they are out of stock on the Tesla site so I was wondering if for example the ones on Amazon would be compatible.

Thanks
There are Gen1 connectors which need Gen1 adaptors, and there are Gen2 connectors which require Gen2 adptors. The Gen2 system appears to have extra safety features, and to be cheaper than the Gen1, but maybe to be a tiny bit less versatile (they don't have to be as versatile, as maximum charge speeds/power level are inherently more dangerous and there are now many Superchargers which can provide energy faster and with more safety.) You can cheat and buy aftermarket extension cord type adaptors, but those essentially defeat the safety systems of all connectors. So don't use them unless you have to.

Does the Tesla adapter only work with the Gen2 setup? Seems like they are out of stock on the Tesla site so I was wondering if for example the ones on Amazon would be compatible.

Thanks

Thanks
NEMA 14-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters