Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14/50 Ext cord fits a little loose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some advice please.
Getting ready for my model 3.
I setup a nema 14/50 ext cord 25ft to reach further where the outlet is. I noticed it fits a little loose (Wiggles with force) on the nema 14/50 outlet . I spread the connection prongs a little which helped. It’s still has a little wiggle if moved side to side forcefully, should I be worried. I also adjusted the weight by putting cable anchors on the wall. So basically, the cable hangs directly down without stress.
I am waiting for the 50 amp breaker that I ordered to be able to test the other end for any issues.
I am not sure if a little side to side wiggle is normal and if it will be a potential problem.

Last edited:
What existing breaker was on the circuit that you are putting the 50A breaker on, or if this is a new circuit, what wiring did you use from the breaker to the 14/50 outlet? BTW this is the Model S forum.
I noticed that is was an S forum but can’t change it?
I got the actual 14/50 specific ext cord for the Tesla cable 6/3 wire.
Done by an electrician who has done others like these specifically for Tesla owners.
The wiring is 6/3 Nema wiring.

The ext cord is to run it over another car where the Tesla will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
It actually does take force. It just isn’t as tight as I would have thought for such a hefty cable, that’s why I wasn’t sure.
It sounds like the outlet and plug fits tightly because it takes some muscles to push in and pull out.

Do you mean the cable that's attached to the back of the outlet is loose?

Do you mean the cable that's attached to the plug is loose?

It sounds like the outlet and plug fits tightly because it takes some muscles to push in and pull out.

Do you mean the cable that's attached to the back of the outlet is loose?

Do you mean the cable that's attached to the plug is loose?
The ext cord goes in the Nema box tightly , but if I wiggle it side to side it moves. It doesn’t move easily but I just thought it would be tighter without any movement at all. Maybe it’s just me? Not sure?
So it’s where the ext cord connects to the Nema outlet box. The box itself doesn’t move .

The ext cord goes in the Nema box tightly , but if I wiggle it side to side it moves. It doesn’t move easily but I just thought it would be tighter without any movement at all. Maybe it’s just me? Not sure?
So it’s where the ext cord connects to the Nema outlet box. The box itself doesn’t move .
You'd better take a picture and upload here for clarity.

The ext cord goes in the Nema box tightly , but if I wiggle it side to side it moves...

Usually, the wires are hidden under the wall so you can not wiggle it. But of course, if you take the wall plaster off and the electric box cover off, you can see that you can wiggle the wires.

To make sure you cannot wiggle the wires, they should be protected by the conduit. It's metallic and screwed onto the box so you cannot wiggle the wires.

J6TTy2l.jpeg

As long as your cable is not inside a conduit, you can wiggle it and of course, wiggling a high voltage cable is not a good idea!

Last edited: