Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 Wiring - US Spec Tesla in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can obtain split bolts of the correct size locally. Use those to attach the bare wires to the pins. It won't be perfect but I would trust it much more than what you describe.

I know it may not sound particularly secure, but I can assure you, it's pretty secure. You could not remove it by hand. The copper wire, which is a single core, is essentially crimped onto the terminals. Human fingers CAN NOT undo it. You might be able to rip it off but I imagine it would just as easily break the NEMA 14-50 connector. The only thing that isn't so tightly connected is the ground terminal. Given the ground terminal is completely round without any holes to thread the grounding wire through, I have had to coil it around the terminal. I first coiled the wire around a pen (which is thinner than the terminal) which gave it a much tighter fit when sliding it on. Wrapping that in insulation tape also give's it a little more 'holding' power.

I will take pictures when I 'undo' it for when I receive my Nema 14-50 socket.

OK. Heat cycling can loosen what seem like otherwise tight connections. It's your risk; I'm just saying that I would use split bolts in the situation that you described.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware it is not an ideal or long term solution. But I am quite certain the 4mm copper, being used in 0 degree C temperatures will not heat up to any significant extent. Baring in mind I'm only pushing 32 amps on a relatively large surface area where the wire wraps around the pole. True the split bolts would still be best, but I'm hoping my NEMA 14-50 socket end will arrive soon and I then I can have a proper, long term solution. Now I'm more worried about getting ahold of a Type2-Type1 adaptor!

So I exported my Tesla Y performance to Egypt and sent along with it the US version on the tesla Wall connector Gen3.

The wiring diagram of the connector says L1 and L2/N

Now that the electricity in Egypt is 220v single phase and not 110v split phase, can I connect the L1 pin to the Live 220v and the Neutral to the L2/N pin?

Appreciate your guys take on this…..

I am basing my assumptions on the post above recommending using L2 to Neutral and L1 to the 220 live wire when connecting to a Nema 14-50

So I exported my Tesla Y performance to Egypt and sent along with it the US version on the tesla Wall connector Gen3.

The wiring diagram of the connector says L1 and L2/N

Now that the electricity in Egypt is 220v single phase and not 110v split phase, can I connect the L1 pin to the Live 220v and the Neutral to the L2/N pin?

Appreciate your guys take on this…..

I am basing my assumptions on the post above recommending using L2 to Neutral and L1 to the 220 live wire when connecting to a Nema 14-50
Split phase and single phase 220v power should look almost identical for 220v/240v consumers. I don't see an issue with what you are proposing, provided that the ground is fully separated. If the ground is referenced to neutral like in the US it might be a problem, as the Wall Connector could be expecting the ground to show as between the two phase wires rather than at the potential of one of them.

Split phase and single phase 220v power should look almost identical for 220v/240v consumers. I don't see an issue with what you are proposing, provided that the ground is fully separated. If the ground is referenced to neutral like in the US it might be a problem, as the Wall Connector could be expecting the ground to show as between the two phase wires rather than at the potential of one of them.
Amazing, thanks so much for your answer