Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 1450-1430 charging setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so I've had my 3 for about 2 years now and I used a NEMA 1450 at my house, I recently moved and my new house does not have enough space in the breaker to add another 1450, I do however have a dryer in the garage so I got a adapter for my 1450 plug.(1450 to 1430) I am now able to charge my car through the adapter but I know I get the 1430's power, in the charging option I've always had my setting as 32A, I have read a bit online that it shouldn't be that high for 1430 outlet, I have it currently set to 24, but I didn't find anything recent about this and I have no idea whatsoever about electrical work so I was wondering if someone could help me understand this better and tell me if im allowed to to keep it at 32A or keep it at 24A.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
You should set it to 24 and immediately get the proper 14-30 adapter to connect your UMC to the outlet. The set-it-yourself option is known to occasionally get 'forgotten' by the car. Its also a good idea to avoid using the 14-50 to 14-30 adapter because it won't be measuring the outlet temperature. If its a cheapo outlet(search for Leviton), its got a good chance of overheating even when used at 24A.

Upvote 0
This is what you should have bought to begin with:

Buy the proper 14-30 adapter for your mobile connector and get rid of whatever you’re using now.

Upvote 0
When you plug the 14-30 plug into the Tesla Mobile Connector, the Tesla Mobile Connector will tell the car to charge at no more than 24A.

Using a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter attached to the 14-50 plug on the Tesla Mobile Connector is more risky, since if the car is set to an amperage higher than 24A, that could overload the circuit.

Upvote 0
You should set it to 24 and immediately get the proper 14-30 adapter to connect your UMC to the outlet. The set-it-yourself option is known to occasionally get 'forgotten' by the car. Its also a good idea to avoid using the 14-50 to 14-30 adapter because it won't be measuring the outlet temperature. If its a cheapo outlet(search for Leviton), its got a good chance of overheating even when used at 24A.
As of right now I have ordered this and use this to attach my laundry on one and my car on the other, of course I also make sure only one is being used at a time so I don't overload it, do you think it still is that big of a issue, If I use then separately should it theoretically not be fine?
Parkworld 60325 Dryer Splitter to EV, NEMA 14-30 Male Plug to 14-30 & RV/EV 14-50 Female Receptacle, Dryer 4-Prong 30 AMP Y Adapter Cord (3FT)

Upvote 0
As of right now I have ordered this and use this to attach my laundry on one and my car on the other, of course I also make sure only one is being used at a time so I don't overload it, do you think it still is that big of a issue, If I use then separately should it theoretically not be fine?
Parkworld 60325 Dryer Splitter to EV, NEMA 14-30 Male Plug to 14-30 & RV/EV 14-50 Female Receptacle, Dryer 4-Prong 30 AMP Y Adapter Cord (3FT)
This Parkworld splitter allows a NEMA 14-50 (50 amp) device to be run from a 30 amp circuit. But with the Mobile Connector you would not pull anywhere near 50 amps -- at most you can pull 32 amps if you use the NEMA 14-50 adapter since the MC allows no more than that. Charging for 6 hours like that might or might not trip the 30 amp circuit breaker, but would absolutely overheat the wiring and outlet. Since the heat sensor is in the adapter cable, and since it would be plugged into the NEMA 14-50 on the Parkworld splitter, it would not overheat at that point, rather it would overheat where the NEMA 14-30 plug is plugged into your outlet. And it would not sense that overheating and could result in serious overheating of the outlet and the wiring in your wall.

A better splitter would be one like this, which would be safer than the Parkwood splitter you have ordered, using the Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter cable, but it is still not the best way to do this.

At least with this cord, and the Tesla NEMA 14-30 adaptor for your Mobile Connector you would not be running the risk of overloading the circuit. You should also inspect the receptacle to be sure it is in good condition, and if not or if it is made by Leviton replace it with a Bryant or Hubble.

A device like this

would be the better way to charge than the above splitter cable if you cannot run a new circuit. But be sure to get the one with NEMA 14-30 for the EV, not the NEMA 14-50. For the life of me I do not understand why anyone would make a splitter cable or switching box that has a 50 amp receptacle when it is plugged into a 30 amp circuit.

Upvote 0