Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neo Gateway No Signal, Tech says it's ok.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Neo gateway quit communicating with Tesla. After sending a new NEO gateway, a tech was dispatched who updated the inverter firmware and said I was communicating to Tesla but not through my gateway. I have no blue light on my SolarEdge inverter and the NEO gateway still shows "No signal" however the Tesla app shows energy generation.

Does this sound right? Am I even seeing my solar generation?
Thanks!

Do you have powerwalls? If not, does one of your neighbors (on either side) also have a tesla energy install?
I don't have any powerwall, just solar. Neither of my neighbors have Solar on either side of my house. There is one other house in my neighborhood with solar and they are at least 150' from my inverter. For a test I shut down my solar and within 15 minutes the Tesla app showed no power generation. I have a smartthings hub which supports Zigbee but the inverter doesn't show up as connected.

I've been sending Tesla screenshots of the solar production from before the gateway had failed and been replaced where it shows a nice curve, and after the gateway was replaced which looks like a porcupine. After my NEO gateway was replaced, the inverter has never talked to my NEO gateway and is missing data often not reporting an entire day of production on the sunniest of days, shows spikes and drops in production that go higher than my 8.1kW system can produce and dropping to 0.

Tesla supports response to this....
"Currently at the moment your system is communicating with a neighboring Gateway and this will not effect your systems production or data in the app unless the inverter loses connection. The system is showing no indication of errors."

I've asked for escalation at this point as it is affecting the data, I can't believe this is acceptable by Tesla.

PRIOR TO GATEWAY FAILURE
Tesla Solar - Before Gateway Replacement.jpg

AFTER GATEWAY FAILURE
Tesla Solar - After Gateway Replacement.jpg

Last edited:
"Currently at the moment your system is communicating with a neighboring Gateway

This is why I asked if one of your neighbors had Tesla solar. I have powerwalls, so a tesla energy gateway, and also a neo gateway (small black box). My neo gateway is pretty much right next to my inverter (which is an ABB branded inverter from 2015) but my inverter always hops on my neighbors neo gateway and there is nothing that tesla can do about it.

it doesnt impact me at all from a reporting standpoint, because I have powerwalls and my data is coming through there as well. The only impact I have is the fact that my neo gateway always says "no signal" but if I unplug it, the tesla system starts to nag me about it being disconnected.

Anyway, I dont know if they have a solution for it. I called support on it previously, even got a nice supervisor on the phone who was immediately familiar with what I was talking about. We power cycled my neo gateway after the supervisor removed the connection to the other one or something, and my system connected to my own neo gateway but sometime later (like within the next few days), it was connected again to my neighbors. Since they shut down daily (inverters), when it powers up it grabs the first signal it sees I was told.

Poor design for sure, but not sure what they will be able to do about it for you. Let us know if you hear anything different.

Reactions: Wahapainan
Just a follow-up, Tesla absolutely refuses to acknowledge any issues with my system. The energy generation often stops at noon with full sun on my panels. I've sent them many screenshots of the issue but I really don't think they look at them. This system was 1yr old when the inverter failed and <2yrs old when the gateway failed. With the two attached screenshots sent to Tesla support I received the following e-mail response:

"Our team has been monitoring the account and found that the system has been producing as should! It was reported that readings are healthy
And the data is coming in as intended.
Upon reviewing the systems production, it shows to be electrically and mechanically sound.
At this time the system has no Gateway errors, no device errors, and is producing as designed. "

The graph tells a different story as does the red "no signal" error on the gateway. I can't believe support is so incompetent they send these boilerplate responses. I'm being forced into arbitration where I'll demand a refund/removal of the system.

OLD GATEWAY VS NEW GATEWAY
Dec 8, 2022 Full Sun Prior to Gateway Replacement.jpg
Feb 2, 2022 Full sun After Gateway Replacement.jpg

I've had 3 of those Neo gateways and none of them work or consistently work. I don't know why, and I've pretty much given up. I still have it plugged in and I don't see the little red error connectivity light or anything, but my Tesla app never shows/logs any production, so I have to go outside and scan the QR code on my Solar-Edge inverter if I want to monitor it. It's really annoying, but I've just sort of accepted it, since each time I contact Tesla, they tell me similar things to others and never really help. They could probably send me 100 of those damn Neo gateways, and none of them would work consistently. Yes, my neighbor has solar, but it's not Tesla, although they have a Solar-Edge inverter also. I'm not sure if that interferes with the connectivity of mine or not, but mine just reports nothing consistently in the Tesla app even though my solar is working perfectly fine.

After being lied to by the local Tesla support folks for four months I've lost all confidence in them. The data wasn't being reported correctly at all however they continued to tell me otherwise. After going to the BBB to file a complaint a technician was finally dispatched who immediately replaced the NEO gateway and everything started working again. The folks that work in the Henderson, NV Energy Customer Support office should be ashamed at how bad they are. If they don't have the tools they need to assist customers they shouldn't be lying to them. If a customer is saying and showing there is a problem they need to respond using their brain instead of boilerplate canned responses.

I too have major issues with the NEO gateway. With my original system it was always dropping the connection, or connecting to my neighbors gateway. Tesla was no help and I was working almost every day trying everything to re-establish the connection to no avail. When I added additional solar and 2 Powerwalls to my system a year and a half ago, my problems went away for over a year. I thought (and was told by my install tech) that I no longer needed the NEO since everything went thru my new Tesla inverter. Then in January of this year, I started getting emails and texts out of the blue that my system had lost communication - although the app was accurately reporting my data for both systems via the tesla inverter. I called Tesla to ask why I was getting the message and they said I should still be using my NEO box in addition to Tesla Inverter. Been struggling ever since to get it to work. It did work for a few days (according to app) but no blue light on my inverter, then started receiving inconsistent and spiky data like noted above and now just a flat line. I think I need to just give up since my data appears good via the Tesla inverter and that data matches SCE. My only concern would be missing out on any firmware updates and/or backroom performance monitoring.

I too have major issues with the NEO gateway. With my original system it was always dropping the connection, or connecting to my neighbors gateway. Tesla was no help and I was working almost every day trying everything to re-establish the connection to no avail. When I added additional solar and 2 Powerwalls to my system a year and a half ago, my problems went away for over a year. I thought (and was told by my install tech) that I no longer needed the NEO since everything went thru my new Tesla inverter. Then in January of this year, I started getting emails and texts out of the blue that my system had lost communication - although the app was accurately reporting my data for both systems via the tesla inverter. I called Tesla to ask why I was getting the message and they said I should still be using my NEO box in addition to Tesla Inverter. Been struggling ever since to get it to work. It did work for a few days (according to app) but no blue light on my inverter, then started receiving inconsistent and spiky data like noted above and now just a flat line. I think I need to just give up since my data appears good via the Tesla inverter and that data matches SCE. My only concern would be missing out on any firmware updates and/or backroom performance monitoring.
Please don't ever give up on any of your equipment not working, it sounds to me like you have another bad NEO gateway. Tesla is obligated to fix it if it's under warranty. Take them to arbitration (which is actually in the warranty agreement), I've used it before and it works with no attorney needed. Just make sure you send the required notice of depute letter 60 days before you file. These gateways are junk and I can't believe they force them on customers that want to self monitor.

Please don't ever give up on any of your equipment not working, it sounds to me like you have another bad NEO gateway. Tesla is obligated to fix it if it's under warranty. Take them to arbitration (which is actually in the warranty agreement), I've used it before and it works with no attorney needed. Just make sure you send the required notice of depute letter 60 days before you file. These gateways are junk and I can't believe they force them on customers that want to self monitor.
Just wanted to give some related information for my systems. My first solar system was a Tesla (SolarCity) 8 panel system using the Delta Solivia 3.8 TL inverter installed in early 2019. It worked fine and later I got the Neo gateway in the mail. After connecting it, I saw the No Signal LED for quite a while, but I could see production data in the app fine. Tesla said my system was connecting via a neighbor's gateway and to just wait. Eventually (maybe a week or two?), the No Signal LED went out. In April 2022, I added a powerwall+ system with 12 panels. The old system's AC output connects to the new Gateway 2 so it combines power from both old and new systems. At first, I thought I did not need the Neo gateway anymore and disconnected it, but then decided to connect it again. In the Tesla app, I see the solar production data total of both systems. By chance, I discovered that on the main Tesla app page, if I swipe from right to left, I see the production data from my old system. So it is two separate systems in the app. I can view statistics from each system. To swap systems, I just swipe right to left to right on the main app page. I download data for both systems and add to a spreadsheet, which subtracts total - old system stats to get the new system stats.

I like that there are two separate systems. I had an issue with the new system: very occasional arc faults seen in late June 2022. Later I found that it can happen when getting cloud spikes (dark clouds then suddenly bright sun). At first, Tesla thought it was firmware and I did not see a problem again until this year at beginning of summer. I finally discovered that the Tesla installer had one of the MPPT jumpers wrong. After fixing that, no more arc faults - working perfectly. While troubleshooting the arc fault issue on the new system, it was nice that I still had production from my old solar system!

I have that NEO gateway POS and it never works. I've had like 4 of them, they always stop working. I just don't even use the app at all and haven't for the last year and a half. I just periodically take a look at the data through the Solar Edge app (setapp) utility to ensure its producing electricity. I wish Tesla cared more about this, but I've spent too many hours between this and having them swap the crappy Solar Edge inverter every couple years. Guess at least the panels are great.

I have that NEO gateway POS and it never works. I've had like 4 of them, they always stop working. I just don't even use the app at all and haven't for the last year and a half. I just periodically take a look at the data through the Solar Edge app (setapp) utility to ensure its producing electricity. I wish Tesla cared more about this, but I've spent too many hours between this and having them swap the crappy Solar Edge inverter every couple years. Guess at least the panels are great.
I also look at my Solivia LCD display daily to get true production info. One thing I have noticed in the app is that sometimes on my old system which uses the Neo gateway, I see strange upward spikes in the solar graph, but no clouds. Every home in this development had to have solar at time of purchase. I opted to get the minimum of 8 panels, but my neighbors all got the maximum of 16 panels. So we all have the Neo gateway, and I wonder if sometimes Tesla gets data from a neighbor's inverter via Zigbee. For 4 years now, I had my Neo gateway in a room on the opposite side of the home since it was convenient to plug it in to a network switch in that room - probably about 75 ft from the Solivia but a few walls in between. I recently purchased a wireless bridge for the garage where the Solivia is installed and now the Neo gateway is only 5 ft from the Solivia. Time will tell if I don't see the strange spikes in the graphs.

Last week, I suddenly only had half output from the Solivia system. Full sun. New powerwall solar system was OK. I chatted with Tesla support and like the OP experienced, he said there is no problem. I said I got half peak power on the Solivia system today (1 kw instead of 2 kw). He said peak does not matter - your system is operating normally! And he said is there any error codes on the Solivia? I responded no and he said then there is no problem. Huh? I was looking at half output directly on the Solivia, so I know there was a problem! That system has 2 4 panel strings. If one string is out, I don't think the inverter knows it and there are no errors. I decided to wait a day and chat again. That night, I power cycled the Neo. Next day, all was well. I don't know if the Neo power cycle fixed it. It seems that one string was not connected on the one day. I don't know if my old Solivia system has MCIs or not. I do know that on my new system, when I was monitoring it with Powerwall Dashboard using a wireless connection, after a couple of months, one day my new solar kept dropping out - rapid shut down - I tried restarting powerwall, etc. - still happened. Then I disconnected Powerwall Dashboard (wireless to the gateway 2), the problem went away. So I wonder if problematic Neo connection cause a problem on my old system. Needless to say, I watch both systems every day. Overall, I am happy since my SCE bills are negative or very low. I just have to keep the systems running!

Reactions: 3rror
Nice to know I am not alone with this NEO gateway disaster. I learned about three weeks ago in contacting Telsa that my gateway stopped working in June of 2022. Apparently my Inverter was communicating with a nearby gateway from a neighbor, so that is why I could still see data on the Telsa App, but it was very inconsistent to a point I thought some of the panels were failing. They sent me through the ringer before they gave me the new Gateway. I was very frustrated as I had called a few times prior to troubleshoot this issue and they never mentioned that my gateway had not connected to their server for over a year. You have to really push these folks to get any form of service. Telsa was convinced was my ISP was blocking the gateway from communicating with their servers even though I knew it had nothing to do with my network or ISP. I had to laugh at the rep for that ISP comment. I demanded a new gateway and as soon as I installed it this week it worked instantly. Now I get the standard energy curve you typically see on a nice sunny day! Don't give up!

Reactions: Matt-FL