Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nest Protect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Their is a good sale on Nest Protects today, thinking of buying one for my garage. I have a single car garage and will only have the Model 3 in it. I saw a thread from 4 years ago on this but nothing newer. Anyone have experience with this? Seems like some people had success and others not so much. Worst case my thought is if it get false positives I will use it somewhere else in my house.

Thanks,
Rik

I've had four in my house for for the last 3-4 years. They've performed flawlessly. Or at least I think they have. They've not had reason to go off, as far as I'm aware. I do get a monthly email report that my house has not burned down, so that's nice.

I also have this anti-tiger rock, if you're interested in adding to your home security system.

• Funny
Reactions: RoccoX
They are great, but not recommended for garages, both because they are prone to false CO alarms and temperature issues. Their 'operating' temperature range is 32-104f. 'storage' temps are -4 to 113f.

That said, I think they are great products. I have three in my house now, and my favorite is the nightlight feature. Also helps that I get a warning alarm when things are getting smoky before they actually go off, like when there's an oil-coated turkey in the oven tomorrow morning.

Installed 2 throughout house last month. No issues so far. It did a self test / make noise last week. Sent me a phone notification which was nice but unexpected to me. Plus it lights up in the dark with motion. Lights the hallway and kitchen for any late night snacks.

Thanks all yeah my garage is attached so it really never sees temperature extremes outside of the limits the Nest can handle, ordering now :). Just had my nema 14-50 installed as well, now all I need to do is order the car :)

i have 3. two are hardwired. they are nice and since all are connected, one will relay status to all the other ones if it detects smoke or fire even if on other side of house, and also on any devices where the app is connected to. pleasant sounding too. it will go into immediate standard loud alarm mode if fire, but if levels are just out of range, you get a "ding" "ding" "heads up, there's smoke detected in the living room" on all the protects, then a yellow ring will pulse on it. if levels continue or increase it will blast the alarm.

I replaced all the smoke detectors in my single-family home with Nest Protects.

They are the most expensive "night lights" I've ever purchased. ;)

All kidding aside, they're great. I often cook at extremely high heat which causes smoke sometimes and it'll easily set off smoke alarms. At least with the Nest on their mobile app, it'll warn you when it's about to have ALL the Protects "scream", and then you can mute it.

@Derek, Good thing you got those protects to save the house guests from that pesky cloud of smoke.
Next time get a local catering company on speed dial? ;>

Installed a new nest protect in my garage a week before I got my model 3. Pays to be smart @ safe.

Doug