Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never get option to parallel park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only got about 650 miles on my Model 3. Autopilot works fine. However, I practically never get the option to have the car parallel park. Maybe 1 time in every 20 when I back in my driveway, it will offer me the option of back-in parking. (It will fail due to the driveway, so I never bother.)

Just making sure, your Autopark is enabled right? Sometime I don't see the P when I drive passed the spot, but when I put the car in reverse, trying to park myself, the P shows up and offered me the option to Autopark.

Yes of course. If it was a matter of the P showing up, but I couldn't autopark, then the problem would be that I'm not doing it right. A lot of people forget to put the car in reverse, for example. I'm not getting any "offers" to autopark.

I feel like the car always scans for potential parking spaces. I see a greyed out "P" icon along the sides even when I'm driving but, say, at a stoplight. It becomes blue when you shift into reverse and you get the option to autopark.

mine also hardly ever shows up when I'm expecting it to be useful. when it does, i get all giggly and press it...

......only to be disappointed a minute later by it's crappy parking job that I have to correct anyways. Either it has uneven gaps or it takes too long, re-corrects, gives up and beeps a sign of defeat. It has only been successful once in the ~5 times it was used.

I'm glad I'm part of the dying number of people that can actually park without technology. just leave me with the mirrors and I'm good.

• Funny
Reactions: goldengate
I'm glad I'm part of the dying number of people that can actually park without technology. just leave me with the mirrors and I'm good.

Whenever I parallel park our car with my family in it, my wife will say "show off" and my son will say "you are showing your age." :p

Back on topic, OP, are you driving slow enough when searching for a parking space? You have to drive really really slow.. close to 5 mph for the P to show. Also I think signaling helps with the P showing up too, not sure if that's true or not.

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
I have issues with this, too. Worse, was parking where there were no other cars by a curb, the option popped up to auto park, and, since the option rarely presents itself, I thought, 'what the heck?, I'll let it do its thing'. Good thing i was paying attention, the car tried to drive itself up on the curb and nearly took out a fire hydrant, never mind giving me a heart attack. I'm not sure I'll ever try it again.

I had this problem for a long time. I started slowing down to under 5 mph, pulling very close to the car before and after the spot, and bringing my rear end up parallel to the other car. I then used auto park every single time it came up, and was sure to cancel it if there was a problem. I have found that my car is getting better at auto park now. I don't know if it learns and calibrates the sensor better or if software updates have improved it, but it now regularly recognizes spots at higher speeds and pulls into them without issue.

Reactions: WhiteRed3
I had this problem for a long time. I started slowing down to under 5 mph, pulling very close to the car before and after the spot, and bringing my rear end up parallel to the other car. I then used auto park every single time it came up, and was sure to cancel it if there was a problem. I have found that my car is getting better at auto park now. I don't know if it learns and calibrates the sensor better or if software updates have improved it, but it now regularly recognizes spots at higher speeds and pulls into them without issue.
Thanks, I'll try that. Maybe it really does 'learn'. I have less than 1200 miles on the car, so it's early days.

I've never had the P show up on a legitimate parking space. But on many occasions it shows up when I'm backing into my driveway and there's a car on one side of the driveway already (we have 3 cars, 1 stays outside 2 stay inside garage). I also put the car in park at a stop light once to see what would happen when I was surrounded by cars in all directions except in front of me, and the P showed up. I was very tempted to click it to see what would happen but my wife wouldn't let me. :)

I've never had the P show up on a legitimate parking space. But on many occasions it shows up when I'm backing into my driveway and there's a car on one side of the driveway already (we have 3 cars, 1 stays outside 2 stay inside garage). I also put the car in park at a stop light once to see what would happen when I was surrounded by cars in all directions except in front of me, and the P showed up. I was very tempted to click it to see what would happen but my wife wouldn't let me. :)
I get it while I'm driving. If you try to engage it It will stop as soon as it picks up another car.

Reactions: TankoftheNorth